Banter/discussion ratio and site rules

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I started writing a long-winded post, but chucked it. Forums are an untrendy platform these days, so most people here are long-termers who "know" each other to some extent, despite often never having met in the outside world. It's the banter between these connected but equally disconnected personalities that keeps this place going while other forums have died.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I deem myself still (relatively) new to mtb. I came here to learn, and learn I have. Very rarely do I know enough about anything to post a helpful reply, so I just shitpost or banter.

The knowledge base here is sound, and when genuinely required, informed and helpful. The amount of useful information I have gleaned through scrolling has helped me immeasurably, when maintaining and building bikes.

I have learnt a lot more through osmosis in this environment, than I have through dull, staid information based hunting.

If that keeps my wheels turning and rubber side down, then I say keep the status quo.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Hey, you leave @Shredden alone.
Yeah, we don’t get the school kids on holidays any more. Just @Lucaw. I think he’s lost.
Ha. Just a classic thread! :D Could this the last forum standing in the future? Most others I have used are either dead or so little activity I check every few months to see if there is anything going on.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Ha. Just a classic thread! :D Could this the last forum standing in the future? Most others I have used are either dead or so little activity I check every few months to see if there is anything going on.
As long as the humble mountain bicycle is with us, we'll be here to take the piss out of each other.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I recall some watering hole rides in Sydney back in the farkin days. There was so much talking shit, @Fatman dubbed our rides 'Mountain Talking' instead of Mountain Biking. I reckon the forum is just a reflection of that energy. Instead of (or maybe as well as) going to the pub, we ride our bikes and talk shit, and every now and then there's a gem of wisdom, technical knowledge or just looking out for each other that shines through.
I think the banter can go too far sometimes, and god knows how many times I've seen that 'Why not both' meme from moorey and gone looking for the ignore button, but for the most part I think we police ourselves pretty well, and its probably part of the reason the forum still kicks along when so many others are dead in the water.