Bafang mid drive conversion kits

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Thread dig again.

I'm thinking of dropping a mid drive motor on the child-carrying bike. Urban riding only. I don't intend on going fast, but sometimes I need a bit of extra oomph to get up some of the short but steep hills around here.
Does the TSDZ2 still stand as a good, affordable option?
Would it be suitable to use if I went completely insane and got a cargo bike? (box up front type)
Ideally I want to put my old car to rest and ride everywhere. With two kids. In a car-centric town. What could possibly go wrong?
I've only used the Bafang ones but a mate who does conversions is looking at getting a TongShen to see how they go. Can reccomend this mob, decent service and best price.

safreek

I've only used the Bafang ones but a mate who does conversions is looking at getting a TongShen to see how they go. Can reccomend this mob, decent service and best price.

Hey man, have you used this mob. Do they actually do the conversion for extra as well or do you need to sort it yourself.
Is the battery on the kit I have attached enough for an hour or 2 of riding. I know nothing of this electronic trickery

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Is the battery on the kit I have attached enough for an hour or 2 of riding. I know nothing of this electronic trickery
To be honest ebikes have come a long way and gotten much cheaper. I'd not recommend these kits anymore uless you had a decent bike to start with that you were otherwise going to let gather dust.

On the battery capacity, depends what the 2 hours entails. If you are doing actual mtb loops with climbing and descending then it's gonig to be close with a 750w/10.5Ah capacity. I'd say you wouldn't make it. If you do, it will be only a few months before the battery degrades enough to not make that trip. For reference I get 80-100km range (say 4 hours) on my 300W TSDZ2 which is already more efficient than the BBS, and I have a decent panasonic battery with 17.5Ah - the kicker, that's on gravel roads and zero single track.

That's ral figures. To work out the theoretical, you take the motor watts (750w) divide by the volts (52) = 14.42 A. So for a 10.5Ah battery you can expect the thing to last (14.42/10.5) 1.37 hours, or 1h22m. Now of course this is theoretical and you won't be blasting 750w the whole ride but the battery figures are massively inflated and have lots of inefficiencies not calculated for so, as a rough guide take 80% of that and you get roughly 1 hour of full blast power.

TLDR: When new you might get 2 hours. After a few months of usage no way.

*also side note get a good charger.

** Edit: yes they fit bottle holders. The real question is does it fit your frame.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
To be honest ebikes have come a long way and gotten much cheaper. I'd not recommend these kits anymore uless you had a decent bike to start with that you were otherwise going to let gather dust.

On the battery capacity, depends what the 2 hours entails. If you are doing actual mtb loops with climbing and descending then it's gonig to be close with a 750w/10.5Ah capacity. I'd say you wouldn't make it. If you do, it will be only a few months before the battery degrades enough to not make that trip. For reference I get 80-100km range (say 4 hours) on my 300W TSDZ2 which is already more efficient than the BBS, and I have a decent panasonic battery with 17.5Ah - the kicker, that's on gravel roads and zero single track.

That's ral figures. To work out the theoretical, you take the motor watts (750w) divide by the volts (52) = 14.42 A. So for a 10.5Ah battery you can expect the thing to last (14.42/10.5) 1.37 hours, or 1h22m. Now of course this is theoretical and you won't be blasting 750w the whole ride but the battery figures are massively inflated and have lots of inefficiencies not calculated for so, as a rough guide take 80% of that and you get roughly 1 hour of full blast power.

TLDR: When new you might get 2 hours. After a few months of usage no way.

*also side note get a good charger.

** Edit: yes they fit bottle holders. The real question is does it fit your frame.
All good advice there. 15Ah would be the minimum to get near 2 hours of riding, but that's not off road either, and keeping it on a low setting. I would not even entertain building an off road bike with a kit. To me it's too unreliable.

For on road/path, no worries, but as @Calvin27 has said you can get a production e-bike for a similar price, seems about $500-800 less if I look at my setup compared to a Marin prod e-bike, which all seem to have come down by about $500 since I built mine so the savings are shrinking.

@safreek they don't do the conversions, just supply the kit, been a pretty good supplier so far, a mate has done a few conversions and I have got two kits from them.