ROAD Azzurri Forza - 7.7kg

Bodin

GMBC
It's time to post the new one. The old one got sold a few months back after I finally decided I couldn't put up with the frame flex and short cranks anymore. It was a good bike, but long road miles have to be done on something you really like riding. Speaking of things I really like riding, meet the new Forza:

Frame & Fork: 12K 30HM Carbon monocoque.
Group: 2009 Dura-Ace (175mm cranks, 53/39 rings, 11-23 cassette).
Wheels: Mavic Ksyrium Elite, Vittoria Diamante Pro tyres.
Parts: FSA (SLK seatpost, OS150 100mm stem, Gossamer bars)
Weight: 7710 grams / 16.99 pounds

I haven't put a lot of miles in to it yet, but the initial impressions are that this is all about road racing. Pretty stupid of me to buy a balls-out race bike, really, because all I was after was a training bike to get some miles up for MTB endurance races, but when the Borsari guys spoke to Azzurri for me, it became another offer I couldn't refuse.

The frame is bucket loads stiffer than the old one. I'm actually a bit heavier than usual at the moment and I was cranking out of turns this morning with much more confidence, as it felt like the power was getting transmitted directly to the road instead of being wasted through bending the frame. Where I'm not confident (yet) is at speed - this is the lightest bike I've ever ridden and it picks up speed so suddenly that it actually freaks me out a little. Added to that, I'm usually pretty twitchy on descents to begin with and the ridiculously light wheels and tyres only add to my anxiety once I get beyond about 70kph. It'll be interesting to see if I get over this and start feeling comfortable at speed.

Comfort at all other times is really good, though. It's the right size for me and the shortish stem is something I prefer on road bikes. I need to work on my flexibility before I start dropping the stem down the steerer tube, but it's supposed to be a training bike, so I probably won't bother. Road vibrations are damped really well and when you hit a significant crack or bump on the road, the shock isn't transferred directly in to your spine like on aluminium bikes - it's like you can feel the seatstays absorb the spike and then slowly expand back in to shape. It doesn't make it feel sluggish, but it does reduce the shock. Very nice.

2009 Dura-Ace is the business. I like the aesthetics more and the geometry of the levers finally suits me. The flip side is that they've limited some of the functionality - you can't trim the front derailleur in the big ring and you can't shift more than 2 gears at a time in the rear. Time will tell whether I get frustrated or familiar with these changes. Having said that, though, I've never ridden a drive train that is so dialled. Kudos to the Borsari Cycles mechanic, but it's probably a good indication that 2009 DA works really well. Every shift is just bang on target and a lot quieter than the 7800 series stuff.

Changes - I already have a 12-27 cassette on order for hilly days (it'll probably end up being permanent) and a second chain so I can swap chains every few hundred kms and get every last bit of life out of the rings and cassette. I'll probably be getting some Dura-Ace pedals to replace my heavy old Look Legends. The jury is also out on the Arione seat - I know it's a good seat, but I had one on the old Forza and didn't really like it, so this might end up going as well. The other thing I'm considering is carbon bars. The Gossamer bars feel really thin in my hands (guess I'm too used to MTB grips), so I may consider some of the fatter FSA carbons at some point. Or I might save myself about $300 and just put another layer of bar tape on. I've already doubled my intended budget on this bike. :eek:

Anyway - it's a brilliant ride and I have to express my sincere gratitude to Borsari Cycles and Azzurri Bikes for hooking me up with such a great deal on such a great bike. The Forza has come a long way in three years. :cool:

Attachments

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
very nice, sounds like you are enjoying it. get some 3T alloy bars.....$90- from pbk/120 from aus shops and they have a large top surface and really comfy bend.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice it looks like a really racey geo, what size is the frame? that one long ass seatpost.

Bodin

GMBC
what size is the frame? that one long ass seatpost.
I've got no idea of the size - I'll go and measure it now. The centre-of-BB to top-of-seat measurement is 79.5cm (I'm 185cm), so the post isn't really that long for a compact frame.

Edit: It's 57cm square.

Last edited:

sruge

Likes Dirt
Azzuri Forza

Nice bike. Seconding A Davis on the 3T bars - I put a set of Ergosum carbon bars on my new roadie 3 months back and, although it pains me as a mountain-biker to say this, they have been the most effective upgrade in terms of contributing to riding enjoyment and improved confiedence that I have ever put on any bike. I reckon I've probably left something on the high side of $100,000 in bike shops over the last 10 years, but I know for sure I won't ever need to trial another bend of roadie handlebar!

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got no idea of the size - I'll go and measure it now. The centre-of-BB to top-of-seat measurement is 79.5cm (I'm 185cm), so the post isn't really that long for a compact frame.

Edit: It's 57cm square.
on first glance it looked long but its comparable to mine very nice ride.

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool - I like their new stems as well, so I'll have a look at that stuff when I'm sure I want to change.
on their alloy stems the cut out on the face plate is made for the white stem clamp area on the bars, just so you have a white 3T logo:D

Bodin

GMBC
Starting to get a few miles up on the new pride 'n joy, which has been tough due to lack of time, but I had a free morning this morning and had a good few hours on the road with a mate on his new Look 566.

Recently had to get a bigger cassette for the bike because I'm an old man and a racing block is not for me. Trouble is, Dura-Ace ain't cheap. One 12-27 cassette and new chain later and I'm almost $400 lighter - and that's at WHOLESALE! :eek:

Going to be swapping the 2 chains over every few hundred kms to get every last mile out of this drivetrain...

Couple of negatives to report:
1. The headset's expander wedge in the steerer tube was not very well installed and I've had the whole headset loosen up while riding a couple of times. Not something you expect on a bike with an RRP of $6K+. I've now cut the steerer tube down a bit and set the expander wedge to be perfectly aligned with where the stem clamps, so I'm expecting this issue to be fixed. If not, the bike's going back to Azzurri.
2. The rear dropouts are not perfectly aligned. I noticed that the rear wheel would lean slightly towards the driveside, which was also a little disconcerting on a $6K+ bike. 2 layers of electrical tape through the dropout have fixed this and the rear wheel is not perfectly centred.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this bike. It's really fast, I'm very comfortable on it and even when I don't have time to ride, I'm constantly planning my next route.

Attachments

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Stunning colour scheme, it looks fast standing still!
Why do you call it "forza" or is that it's name from the manufacturer ie: stumpjumper, epic, trance etc etc?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2. The rear dropouts are not perfectly aligned. I noticed that the rear wheel would lean slightly towards the driveside, which was also a little disconcerting on a $6K+ bike. 2 layers of electrical tape through the dropout have fixed this and the rear wheel is not perfectly centred.
If I paid $6k for a bike , I would be seriously pissed at the thought of the frame not being square !!! Even on a cheap alu hartdail, this would be unacceptable..... :mad: :eek:

Looks sweet though ! ;)

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I'm almost $400 lighter - and that's at WHOLESALE! :eek:
holey f#*ing moley. I hate to say it, but it is these kind of prices that make evil online stores a godsend for consumables.

Lovely bike though, Dura Ace, if only... (There needs to be an emoticon for day dreaming)

Bodin

GMBC
BM Epic said:
Why do you call it "forza"

If I paid $6k for a bike , I would be seriously pissed at the thought of the frame not being square !!! Even on a cheap alu hartdail, this would be unacceptable..... :mad: :eek:
So would I, but I didn't pay anywhere near $6K, it's an easy fix (electrical tape fixes everything :cool:) and I love riding this bike, so it doesn't worry me. If you want perfection in a carbon frame, you need about $6K for the frame and fork alone.

Attachments

Last edited:

g13b

Cannon Fodder
Nearly a year old thread, but it was pretty much the only review on the net about the azzuri forza..So thanks bodin.
Ive been tossing up between a few bikes for the past few months
Pinarello FP3
Giant TCR advance 0
Orbea onix
Felt F2 SL

but after seeing the special that Borsari had on the Forza and your review it pretty much sealed the deal, so i went and place my deposit today.
$3500 with full dura ace, equipe wheels and life time frame warrenty, its almost hard to believe they can sell it so cheap.

This is my actual first road bike upgrading from a flat bar road bike, so i hope i can handle it easy enough.

Bodin

GMBC
Nearly a year old thread, but it was pretty much the only review on the net about the azzuri forza..So thanks bodin.
Ive been tossing up between a few bikes for the past few months
Pinarello FP3
Giant TCR advance 0
Orbea onix
Felt F2 SL

but after seeing the special that Borsari had on the Forza and your review it pretty much sealed the deal, so i went and place my deposit today.
$3500 with full dura ace, equipe wheels and life time frame warrenty, its almost hard to believe they can sell it so cheap.

This is my actual first road bike upgrading from a flat bar road bike, so i hope i can handle it easy enough.
If you have the same experience I've had, you'll love it. I needed an easier cassette and more puncture proof tyres (now running Conti UltraGatorSkins), but aside from that, I haven't changed a thing and I don't intend to.

Fantastic bike for the money.

g13b

Cannon Fodder
If you have the same experience I've had, you'll love it. I needed an easier cassette and more puncture proof tyres (now running Conti UltraGatorSkins), but aside from that, I haven't changed a thing and I don't intend to.

Fantastic bike for the money.
Hey yeah picked it up today and looking forward to a ride.

Im relatively new to cycling so dont pick on me to much but

What is a easier cassette?
Isnt it just part of the dura ace 7900 group set?

why would you change that?