Australia Post, I hate you!

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
This thread was created to outline the downfalls and discrepancies of the Australian Postal System , if we were to list these in depth we would be here for a while and I'm sure we would all have our horror stories to tell.

Now we could go into the conspiracy theories about Australia post deliberately losing parcels in an attempt to get customers to pay higher prices for premium and "more secure" methods of postage but this wouldn't solve much either.

I personally have had items lost in post that I have paid for probably totalling $200 if I was to add them up, each time I tried to get a refund from the seller but was basically told "it's Auspost's fault I sent the item and they lost it so why should I refund you meaning I would be out of pocket of both money ad product"

We have to understand that this stuff happens and it comes with the territory of buying stuff online.

What are we supposed to do, follow America's lead and go postal with a gun everytime an item that we have paid for is lost ?

Now as for the situation with the member who seems to want to slander me on this forum. I sent the pedals fair and square and due to Australia post's ineptness they lost the pedals. I had no way of tracking their location as they were sent by regular postage method which leaves the users of this service without a leg to stand on.

I am sorry your pedals were lost and I am sorry I was not in a position to reimburse you.

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He wouldn't have to pay it back if the incompetent staff at aust post hadn't lost the package to begin with.
Now I understand this situation.

Fox to the rescue :), I read the first 2 words and believed the rest :)

And what did we learn from this children? Buyers pay the extra for postal insurance and nothing like this would happen period.

Last edited:

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're an idiot
Did I miss something? Why is he an idiot? It is Aus Post fault... Not Fox's...

This thread has become like a battle of peoples opinions and crap rather than a topic about Aus Post.
Continue.... Please.

*Grabs popcorn*

sheepy

Likes Dirt
ah i can see this has gotten slightly out of hand

it was merely a passing remark venting a sentence of anger from about a year ago

no hard feelings foxco

emcgough

Likes Dirt
Sorry trail-blaze. I thought you were just listing off facts about a situation you weren't informed about. Seems you were well informed and it's me who needs to get the facts straight. No malice intended.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
ah i can see this has gotten slightly out of hand

it was merely a passing remark venting a sentence of anger from about a year ago

no hard feelings foxco
All I can say is that I understand completely how frustrating being in this situation is. It is not a nice feeling both paying for something and not receiving it or sending something and not having it received.

I can understand your need to vent some frustration and I don't have any hard feelings towards you or any other members who may have weighed into this argument.

I am proud of my good trading history but I don't set out to use my high iTrader score or high eBay feedback as some sort of gloating tool on this forum, I was actually a little taken aback when I read this thread and saw where it was heading.

All is well Sheepy and fellow Farkiners.. :)

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mike, sounds like to me you got the International Express Courier Bag instead of the International Express Bag. When I posted something a while ago to Canada, the price difference between these two types of sending was about double.

N
Nope, definately the same.

I have both copies of the custom declarations.

Thread has gone way off topic though.

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well yeah I was just hoping/expecting a few other rip-off stories from the postoffice and a few places where I can goto complain.

Not some guy having a whinge because they lost his pedals...

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I sent the pedals fair and square and due to Australia post's ineptness they lost the pedals. I had no way of tracking their location as they were sent by regular postage method which leaves the users of this service without a leg to stand on..
I found myself in the same situation a few months ago. Sent a shock spring to a buyer and it never arrived. I went to the PO and the only course of action I could take (not registered post) was to fill out a customer service form. I did so not expecting to get any result and in the meantime I refunded the guys money. Maybe he was ripping me off ......maybe not , but I had to give him the benefit of the doubt.

8 weeks later I get a phone call from Aus Post following up the CS form. They asked a few questions and told me I would recieve a money order to the value I stated the spring was worth. Sure enough , I got my money back. took about 8 weeks to get a result , but be it good karma or whatever , I ended up squared up. :)

I now use registered post every time. Never want to find myself in that situation again.

Sorry for keeping the thread jack going here mike , but I thought this was worth pointing out.

Last edited:

sheepy

Likes Dirt
I

They have pissed me around with what they consider a "cubic" parcel. for example a octagonal box they some how thought is considered cubic, and they would calculate postage from the largest distances everywhere, rather than go on weight (yeah sure I don't mind paying for the corners I cut off!!!).
mike was the more expensive one charged for weight or size?

from my experience they will charge for size if it can be easily measured, say a rectangle box

you can use this to your advantage, for instance bike frames i make the box an irregular size because the frame only weighs a few kgs

for a shock on the other hand i'd say it would be cheaper if it were measured because obviously the box will be very small

this is how it's always been for me using aus post

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
It wasn't so much the price, I thought $50ish was acceptable for expressing a shock to the other side of the world.

But the doubling in price, when I'm using a bag (their prices arn't meant to change with differen't dimensions/weight, it was just a standard 3KG bag) was what pissed me off.

Then giving me no reason why. "Sorry sir you must be wrong, there isn't any way you payed that little last time". I'm taking my receipt to show them from last time.
I haven't read the whole thing so don't flame me if this has already been addressed. Working in the mail industry but on the client side, there are 2 ways AUS post calculates cost.

1. Weight (rather obvious)
2. Dimensions - The bigger the box the more it costs to ship.

Aus post takes the most expensive to charge. For example it could cost you more to send an empty 30 cm cube box than a 50kg bag full of lead.

If I read quoted post correctly the box cost more to send than the bag. It makes sense. Next time send it in a bag.

$90 express int couriers to me sounds ok. There are cheaper options than express courier.

Aussie post is not all that bad.

I was in NZ last year the talk-back radio programs were attacking NZ Post because more than 80% of things do not get delivered or arrive damaged.

Apparently you should not ship items in GLOSSY USA PRODUCT boxes as these attract the eyes of young postal workersn who are into the street racing scene.

Food for thought, it could be worse. USA does not even offer Sea-freight anymore...... Try getting car parts sent & you will feel real pain. $$$$$$$

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why is everyone saying all this shit about size and stuff, when you post it in a satchel they cant do that