Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have no issue with a date change. I would like it to coincide with a new national Anthem too. Advance Australia fair does not have a great history as well.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Change the date but make it a floating day like first Monday in March. Then we can celebrate for a weekend guaranteed. I’m not sure how people don’t get it’s not the right date, it might not change the past but it at least changes the future.

moorey

call me Mia
Change the date but make it a floating day like first Monday in March. Then we can celebrate for a weekend guaranteed. I’m not sure how people don’t get it’s not the right date, it might not change the past but it at least changes the future.
Labour day weekend innit? (In Vic anyway)...people won’t stand to lose an existing public holiday.
Playing devils advocate here, not something that concerns me. I don’t think we need a day unless it’s something that indigenous Australians support.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Tony Abbott joins the IPA’s fight for Australian values and the Australian way of life.
Watch John Roskam introduce Tony Abbott as a Distinguished Fellow of the Institute of Public Affairs, and hear from our country’s 28th Prime Minister about the important work he will doing with the IPA, the voice of mainstream Australia.

https://ipa.org.au/australianvalues

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
It's embarrassing and pretty immature that our leader's response to calls for an Australia Day we can all actually celebrate amounts to, "well it wasn't a particularly flash day for those on the ships either." But, how good is cricket?

It speaks volumes that we (or those who represent us) continue to choose the landing of a bunch of British criminals on this island as our defining moment as a nation (plus some sports, mateship and ANZAC spirit thrown in for good measure) rather than say, accepting our place in the 60,000 year history of the people already inhabiting this land.

Change the date. Establish a third, Indigenous, house of parliament and agree to a date we can all celebrate. Let the bogans wallow in their butt hurt for a while before they come out of their rooms and join the rest of us in moving forward together.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
ease up there tiger...now you're walking on shaky ground!
only because the Aus Gubbinment decided to mythologize the commemoration of a military clusterfuck. Anzac day should have been allowed to quietly fade away, rather than becoming some sort of Bogan Holy week.

My grandfather was a ships doctor during WW2. He never spoke about it to me, but my folks say that he saw some horrific shit, trying to stitch soldiers back together. Anyone who glorifies war is a fucking idiot.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
only because the Aus Gubbinment decided to mythologize the commemoration of a military clusterfuck. Anzac day should have been allowed to quietly fade away, rather than becoming some sort of Bogan Holy week.

My grandfather was a ships doctor during WW2. He never spoke about it to me, but my folks say that he saw some horrific shit, trying to stitch soldiers back together. Anyone who glorifies war is a fucking idiot.
When I first moved to Canberra, in my general ignorance I went to the dawn service thing at the war memorial. Left feeling soiled... it was disgusting.

Glorifying war, mixed in with a healthy dose of religion and totally ignoring any semblance of church/state separation.

We’ve got Howard to thank for the current treatment of Anzac Day....

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Labour day weekend innit? (In Vic anyway)...people won’t stand to lose an existing public holiday.
Playing devils advocate here, not something that concerns me. I don’t think we need a day unless it’s something that indigenous Australians support.
Ok - 2nd Friday in February then.... And agree no bogan will lose a day... Call it Australian Nations day instead then it includes 1st nations and all the other nations that came after...

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Let’s make it the date the fed gov accepts and commits to the Uluru statement from the heart. That will be a uniting of our rich aboriginal history with a commitment to move forward with respect.
Without wanting to start a shit fight, what is the end game for all this?
If we change the date, how will that help the Aborigines in poverty, drug addiction, poor health?.....
Yeah, they were invaded, and its bad, BUT how will cancelling Australia Day help them???
When Kevin Rudd said 'sorry', werent we meant to move on?
I get you don’t want to start a shit fight but you just don’t get it. You could attribute all of those social issues impacting on aboriginal Australians to the fact they were invaded on the ground of ‘no human lived here’, told they were not human, treated worse than dogs, given alcohol, had their children stolen under the cover of some weird ‘won’t someone think of the children’ bullshit, etc etc.

It all starts with land stolen without acknowledgment and zero respect for an ancient culture. We keep celebrating the land grab every year and continue to show no respect.