Australia Day, is January 26th the right day?

stirk

Burner
Correct me if i'm wrong, but my impression has been that indigenous aussies have been calling for this, and whitey whitefolk have been getting behind it because we know that not a thing is going to happen if there isn't a vocal majority approving. Indigenous Aussies are never going to be a majority. They need the do-gooders support.

I believe i've stated that i dont care when we celebrate. But some do, and I feel pretty strongly that it's shit to keep on doing it when its so bloody easy to put a bit more thought into the event. Pick a different date and think about a rebranding. It's not going to fix everything, but it'll make enough people happy(er) to be worth the effort.
well said, close thread!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Agreed - I guess im just old school in that, If I want to get ahead, Ill do it through hard work and self determination...
Anyway, im done on this topic - ive been called here racist, dinosaur, having white privelege, etc anything else I have missed? lol
I know you say you're done on this topic, but your comment about hard work and self determination and being old school just continues to amplify that you truly don't get it.

Indigenous Australians that work hard and put the effort in, experience things you never will in the coursse of applying themselves. The fact that that still goes over your head is evidence of that privlege.

If you had to work twice as hard or more to have what you have today, While shaking of racism, both overt and subversive, how'd you feel?

moorey

call me Mia
Correct me if i'm wrong, but my impression has been that indigenous aussies have been calling for this, and whitey whitefolk have been getting behind it because we know that not a thing is going to happen if there isn't a vocal majority approving. Indigenous Aussies are never going to be a majority. They need the do-gooders support.

I believe i've stated that i dont care when we celebrate. But some do, and I feel pretty strongly that it's shit to keep on doing it when its so bloody easy to put a bit more thought into the event. Pick a different date and think about a rebranding. It's not going to fix everything, but it'll make enough people happy(er) to be worth the effort.
Mike drop.

nathanm

Eats Squid

Im not sure how different it was on the mainland but i was certainly surprised at how much support there was for "invasion day" until it happened. ABC ran with it, backtracked, then the mainstream media picked it up to some extent.

Ultimately nothing will change until it's a big enough issue, sorry vote winner, for governments to push the agenda. Cant see that happening any time soon given Scottys comments on the matter which didn't get the negative press it deserved given how disgusting they were. Yet another fuck you from liberal voters.

Labour had a great opportunity to make a stand on it and albo shit the bed, well shit the whole bedroom really.

What ever happened to Nova Peris and other indigenous politicians who could actually have something real to say on this issue?

moorey

call me Mia
Im not sure how different it was on the mainland but i was certainly surprised at how much support there was for "invasion day" until it happened. ABC ran with it, backtracked, then the mainstream media picked it up to some extent.

Ultimately nothing will change until it's a big enough issue, sorry vote winner, for governments to push the agenda. Cant see that happening any time soon given Scottys comments on the matter which didn't get the negative press it deserved given how disgusting they were. Yet another fuck you from liberal voters.

Labour had a great opportunity to make a stand on it and albo shit the bed, well shit the whole bedroom really.

What ever happened to Nova Peris and other indigenous politicians who could actually have something real to say on this issue?
Probably not worth talking about ABC v Newscorp
Don't forget the clickbait revenue.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Peris didn't strike me as someone who was going to advance aboriginal issues in any marked way. Remember reading an interview with her where her only response to the myriad complexity of indigenous issues and closing the gap was "oh more money would be good."

Not sure if this has been posted already: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01...ns-nothing-without-change-stan-grant/13088122

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Probably not worth talking about ABC v Newscorp
Don't forget the clickbait revenue.
Aaaahhhhhhh, NewsCorp
Got to love 'em

Attachments

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Its always about the cash.
Two things;

1. It’s not always about the cash.

2. Would it even be a problem if it was? No one likes to acknowledge it because it undermines our post-colonial sense of genteel superiority but Aboriginal Australians were exploited for slave labour for a long time, extending into withholding of wages in modern times under paternalistic policies.

Compounded over generations of reinvestment and inflation, there’s a huge amount of wealth in Australia with origins in Aboriginal labour that hasn’t flowed back.

Edit — also worth flagging the intersection with dispossession given a lot of this labour was in agriculture/mining etc where it was also the knowledge of country that was being exploited.

Worth reading:

http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/UTSLRS/2013/14.pdf

https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/legal/inquiry-stolen-wages

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...n-wages-settlement-from-queensland-government

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah @lietch funny how everyone hated on famous restaurant owners for wage theft but get all antsy about land rights and compensation for Aboriginal people. Short memories.

Here's an article on Jacinta Price for Mr Adumbass to ignore...

discofrank

Likes Dirt
you all do realise that theirs a damn good chance that, without the colonisation of Australia, that none of use would be here right now to discuss this point?
or possible some other country could have "invaded" Australia and literally wiped out the aborigines ?? and that no one would be able to learn thier history ? which we can do?
Im not going to deny what happened was horrible etc , but as a country i believe we are doing more and getting better , moving the date will not change the facts.

to me and many others aus day 26th jan, is about celebrating where we are today, from where we have come from , with ALL races that reside here.
holding onto past atrocities ( from 200yrs ago or more ) is not going to help anyone. nor will a date change , fix anything

Scotty T

Walks the walk
also for those iterested , have a look for how many days that are celebrated for the aborigines, they have many
I saw that meme too. How many are public holidays? I believe only one, only in the ACT. Name me some national or even state public holidays that aren't based on our Anglo Saxon 230 year heritage. You can't, now fuck off out of here with your racist meme bullshit.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
to me and many others aus day 26th jan, is about celebrating where we are today, from where we have come from , with ALL races that reside here.
holding onto past atrocities ( from 200yrs ago or more ) is not going to help anyone. nor will a date change , fix anything
Isn't holding on to the 26th of January holding onto something from more than 200 years ago?