AusCycling doesn't just hate MTB...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Fuck AusCycling with rusty razor-wire.

I really hope clubs start dumping them as their governing body and look at other insurance options instead. It’s only once it starts to effect their revenue stream they’ll start to listen to what the people want.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I find it interesting that the event won't be approved until a metal fence is installed between the track and spectators. Is there a history of collisions between riders and spectators in recent years? Why a metal fence? Why not a temporary barrier like bales of hay? (If the risk of collision is truly a problem)
Accidents do happen, riders don't try to crash, and they sure as shit wouldn't want to crash into a metal fence.

Last edited:

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
I had lunch with the recently departed CEO of AUS Cycling a couple of weeks ago... Steve Drake...interesting conversation.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Any chance of elaboration? Even just the gist.
Whatever you might think of AUS cycling and the way they seem to treat mtb in general, which I agree hasn't been good lately, Steve Drake is a thoroughly decent bloke, who, like many before him, found that change from within, isn't as easy as he might have hoped. Steve gave up a very successful career to take the CEO job at AUS cycling, becasue he genuinely wanted to integrate the whole sport and it's various outlets, under one umbrella and make the sport better and more accessible. But, as anyone who has even tried to become invloved with their local MTB club, (or any other institution for that matter) will tell you, when you have more than one human being, with an oppinion, you are always going to get push back. But that's called a democratic way of doing things.

Road cycling rules at AUS cycling and that's just the way it is.

Steve knows that MTB weren't given the due process, but there were some strong voices pushing back against any change at all, let alone MTB, who, unfortunately are still viewed as second class citizens to a lot of those who run the organisation. He knows things should have been done better and that MTB needs to be treated better, but for a lot of the time, he was pushing shit uphill.

I don't think I should elaborate too much more?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Whatever you might think of AUS cycling and the way they seem to treat mtb in general, which I agree hasn't been good lately, Steve Drake is a thoroughly decent bloke, who, like many before him, found that change from within, isn't as easy as he might have hoped. Steve gave up a very successful career to take the CEO job at AUS cycling, becasue he genuinely wanted to integrate the whole sport and it's various outlets, under one umbrella and make the sport better and more accessible. But, as anyone who has even tried to become invloved with their local MTB club, (or any other institution for that matter) will tell you, when you have more than one human being, with an oppinion, you are always going to get push back. But that's called a democratic way of doing things.

Road cycling rules at AUS cycling and that's just the way it is.

Steve knows that MTB weren't given the due process, but there were some strong voices pushing back against any change at all, let alone MTB, who, unfortunately are still viewed as second class citizens to a lot of those who run the organisation. He knows things should have been done better and that MTB needs to be treated better, but for a lot of the time, he was pushing shit uphill.

I don't think I should elaborate too much more?
It's a free forum, even @moorey is allowed to ramble on

Elaborate, or don't, as much as you like.

But thankyou for that much.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I really hope clubs start dumping them as their governing body and look at other insurance options instead. It’s only once it starts to effect their revenue stream they’ll start to listen to what the people want.
Yeah, that's the initial problem. I can recall issues in Qld with insuring races when MTBA was at the helm and nobody wanted to touch MTB directly, if they did it was a ludicrous amount. Our laws restrict people from taking full ownership of their own actions in races, so we're at this point with races relying on AC.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Unfortunately for little clubs like ours, if we had to start charging racers for insurance it'd kill any chance we have of surviving.

As it is we can do it because we race on NSW Crown Land leased through a larger club. If we raced on Parks Vic land I'm told we'd have to pay something like $500 for a permit every single race. There’s only 60-odd actual racers and half of those are juniors.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale

Many here may recall that this was the original premise on which MTBA was formed, we've come full circle and are unequivocally no better off than before.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
As it is we can do it because we race on NSW Crown Land leased through a larger club. If we raced on Parks Vic land I'm told we'd have to pay something like $500 for a permit every single race. There’s only 60-odd actual racers and half of those are juniors.
It's almost like they don't want the public using publicly owned land...

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Unfortunately for little clubs like ours, if we had to start charging racers for insurance it'd kill any chance we have of surviving.

Crown land, you say? Lease, you say? So clearly there's still no TO organisation to hand it back to...

Though the PV thing is true. Doesn't apply to areas in Vic under 'committees of management' but since they're typically local government then...oh yeah.

AUScycling...oh fuck them.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Crown land, you say? Lease, you say? So clearly there's still no TO organisation to hand it back to...

Though the PV thing is true. Doesn't apply to areas in Vic under 'committees of management' but since they're typically local government then...oh yeah.

AUScycling...oh fuck them.
Yeah, we know, and you know it's all softly softly until we find the "right" information.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Useless chunts !

I have not had race insurance for a couple of years due to MTBA running my $400 worth of 3 race memberships down to zero during the March 2020 great corona cancellation.
MTBA says, you are still insured while riding so we will not freeze or refund your 3 x Memberships.

Fuck you MTBA ! I dropped out after being a member for 10+ years.

AusCycling, I would like to make use of your family membership for me and my 2 boys and get the 15% off. Boys at $140 each and mine at $190. We are already paid up members of Bike Melrose so please affiliate us with that club.

No, Pay $25 each for affiliation and go beg your club for the money back.

Potential $545 worth of insurance and zero help.

Fuck you AusCycling. I'll renew the kids membership next month.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Useless chunts !

I have not had race insurance for a couple of years due to MTBA running my $400 worth of 3 race memberships down to zero during the March 2020 great corona cancellation.
MTBA says, you are still insured while riding so we will not freeze or refund your 3 x Memberships.

Fuck you MTBA ! I dropped out after being a member for 10+ years.

AusCycling, I would like to make use of your family membership for me and my 2 boys and get the 15% off. Boys at $140 each and mine at $190. We are already paid up members of Bike Melrose so please affiliate us with that club.

No, Pay $25 each for affiliation and go beg your club for the money back.

Potential $545 worth of insurance and zero help.

Fuck you AusCycling. I'll renew the kids membership next month.
It's signs of the time Ozzy, everything is going up in price. The community spirit is long gone in mountain biking, they could apply for grants to make the insurance cheaper but they'd probably buy gold plated trail rakes to award to each other with the money.