International Ashes Challenge

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Today was my first ever proper recovery ride. Found a flat loop near home and did that about 6 times.

Avg HR was 67% and got a bit high up around 78% but felt pretty relaxed.

Worryingly Garmin is saying I need 3 days recovery. Was planning a longish one tomorrow but might make it a moderate/shortish ride instead.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Today was my first ever proper recovery ride. Found a flat loop near home and did that about 6 times.

Avg HR was 67% and got a bit high up around 78% but felt pretty relaxed.

Worryingly Garmin is saying I need 3 days recovery. Was planning a longish one tomorrow but might make it a moderate/shortish ride instead.

View attachment 380966

View attachment 380967
Don't take any notice of garmin at this stage, it will take months for its algorithm to hone in on you.

Go on how you are feeling, honestly.

You want to push yourself, because it is good, physically and mentally.

You do not want to push yourself off the cliff though.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Don't take any notice of garmin at this stage, it will take months for its algorithm to hone in on you.

Go on how you are feeling, honestly.

You want to push yourself, because it is good, physically and mentally.

You do not want to push yourself off the cliff though.
Wot he said!

Flow-Rider

Burner
I was planning to outdo your 51km (by at least 100m) but was physically sick on the bike so cut it short at 30km. I think I’ve over done it and need to have a few easy days.
You should have some type of training schedule with goals, say something like you start off with 2x20km/week rides and then move onto 3x20km/week, I see way too many people burn themselves out and then flat-line with fitness or injury. Recovery time is probably one of the most important aspects of training when you start riding longer distances.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Do you mean road riding or just general mountain biking?
I just used the numbers as an example. You should start off with something relatively easy per week and then ramp up as you feel stronger. When I started riding again, I recall doing MTB road rides of 2x20's, to 3x20's to 5x20's back to 3x20 with a 1x65 on the weekend and done the occasional all dirt social ride of about 10kms. Then done 3x30's with 2 x 65 on the weekends, until I was able to do a century MTB road ride and that one hurt bad all over, fatigue, cramps, lactic acid in my legs on the last 20kms of the ride.

Cardy George

being sick is a cyclocrossers right of passage, just swig some water/ cidar vinegar and push thru it, btw have you worked out your max heart rate?
Go back to your science denial.

@ashes_mtb Max HR is kinda irrelevant at this early stage of the game. Right now the best thing for you is building up to riding consistently, not riding as hard as you can. @Flow-Rider is preaching the good stuff.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Go back to your science denial.

@ashes_mtb Max HR is kinda irrelevant at this early stage of the game. Right now the best thing for you is building up to riding consistently, not riding as hard as you can. @Flow-Rider is preaching the good stuff.
Main focus is smashing out 400km in 4 weeks. I’ll do my best to take it easy when I can, but there’s an element of pushing myself harder than I should in taking up the challenge.

Hopefully I can get to November in one piece and then can take up a more sensible approach from then.

Cardy George

Main focus is smashing out 400km in 4 weeks. I’ll do my best to take it easy when I can, but there’s an element of pushing myself harder than I should in taking up the challenge.

Hopefully I can get to November in one piece and then can take up a more sensible approach from then.
Fair nuf and a noble cause! But driving for an endurance target over a number of weeks is a wildly different direction to what Hale would have you take. HR based training can be quite taxing and will cause burn out to those not conditioned to it. And even then, with all the kilometres I do, I can't do more than three weeks in a row. I'm in week three of this block and I'm freaking shagged.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Fair nuf and a noble cause! But driving for an endurance target over a number of weeks is a wildly different direction to what Hale would have you take. HR based training can be quite taxing and will cause burn out to those not conditioned to it. And even then, with all the kilometres I do, I can't do more than three weeks in a row. I'm in week three of this block and I'm freaking shagged.
Plan of attack is basically:

Monday - AFL9’s 4x10min at high intensity. No riding.
Tuesday - Easy Ride 30-45min at very low intensity. 10km
Wednesday - Easy commute. ~2x8km
Thursday - Night mtb ride. 2-3hrs at pretty much my limit. 20-25km
Friday - Easy commute. ~2x8km
Saturday - Moderate ride. ~30km cruise.
Sunday - Easy Ride 30-45min at very low intensity. 10km

I can probably take a day off and still reach my target. Maybe Tuesday can just be a 30min walk or something.

Cardy George

Plan of attack is basically:

Monday - AFL9’s 4x10min at high intensity. No riding.
Tuesday - Easy Ride 30-45min at very low intensity. 10km
Wednesday - Easy commute. ~2x8km
Thursday - Night mtb ride. 2-3hrs at pretty much my limit. 20-25km
Friday - Easy commute. ~2x8km
Saturday - Moderate ride. ~30km cruise.
Sunday - Easy Ride 30-45min at very low intensity. 10km

I can probably take a day off and still reach my target. Maybe Tuesday can just be a 30min walk or something.
I like it. That's a solid plan, that can then be built on once November rolls around.