Are Shorter Cranks The Next MTB Kool Aid?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I’m running 165mm cranks on my Madonna with zero drawbacks. First ride on my ebike with 160mm cranks and I could feel that 5mm difference very easily and it took a while to get used to it. I remember thinking I was glad I had the motor because pedalling them felt weird.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I remember going from 175mm to 170mm and feeling it so i went back to 175mm :eek: That was a long time ago and I know run 170mm but am 165 curious…

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I don't think my opinion counts with this because I'm a lightweight midget.

Buuut, I have 165mm cranks on my MTB and I have just put 155mm cranks on my town bike because it is surprisingly low to the ground and a slight lean into a corner while pedalling would result in pedal strike. ("Stop pedalling into corners", you might say. Not uphill with a child on a DoLittle seat)

I don't think I'd need 155mm cranks for the MTB. Since going to 165 from 170 a few years back I haven't had nearly as many pedal strikes on the trails.
I'd give 160mm a go on the MTB, for shits n giggles, if someone offered me a set.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recall having 170mm or 165mm cranks recommended when I'd been running 175mm without issue.

170mm felt more difficult to climb but I did experience fewer pedal strikes.

FF to my ebike with 165mm cranks and that feels smoother and easier to pedal (even without assistance). Is it the cranks? I'm still cynical.

I'm in no rush to change cranks on other bikes for no other reason but would be curious enough of o needed to buy new cranks.

PJO

in me vL comy
Running 155mm on my hardtail, mainly due to the really low BB but I don't notice any disadvantages.

Got 165s ready for the dualy which also has a low BB, haven't put them on yet but will be done soon.

Running 165mm on the road bike, and 175mm on the commuter. Clearly I'm not very sensitive to crank length.

For reference I'm 181cm.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I had 180mm on a commuting single speed once upon a time. Very weird to begin with but oddly satisfying cranking along at speed.

Wouldn’t do it again though.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I mean with what seems like 98% of riders taking up ebikes, they probably don't need the torque. 100mm cranks coming soon from specialized Or just drop all the pretense and stick pegs on instead like stealth have done?

I've got a set of 180s on my singlespeed, they're ace for that. Otherwise I run 175 because I'm not a midget, I like pedaling, and pedals strikes are always going to happen regardless of the crank length because I'm a shitty rider

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I can’t tell the difference between the 170’s on my streetfighter and the 175’s on my mtb’s.

I raised the bb on the mtb 10mm due to pedal strikes but probably makes sense for me to run 165’s instead and drop the bb back down.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Altitude came spec'd with 170mm cranks as its bloody low, especially in the slack setting, but I've still managed to bash the pedals/cranks into pretty much every rock at the Youies. A lot of that is down to shit riding ability, but I'm certainly keen on trying 165mm at some point (but I'm a tightarse so it won't be for a while).
155 sounds too short, but it would be an interesting thing to demo and see just how much you notice the difference

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Wouldn’t you be spinning faster with shorter cranks vs longer in the same gear or I have got myself mixed up. Put 170 on my new bike don’t notice a difference from 175.

Maybe a winch and plummet bike would be good for short cranks but just seem too short for regular riding. Who knows, be interested to try and see how weird they feel.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Wouldn’t you be spinning faster with shorter cranks vs longer in the same gear or I have got myself mixed up. Put 170 on my new bike don’t notice a difference from 175.

Maybe a winch and plummet bike would be good for short cranks but just seem too short for regular riding. Who knows, be interested to try and see how weird they feel.
Cadence remains the same. But lever length, being shorter, means more force required.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I was running 170mm on the Katipo when it was stock. The change to the little wheels, even with the big fork meant that going to 165 helped out with the rock strikes.

It didn't seem to feel weird, or hamper my pedaling at all.

I've still got 170mm on the hardtail and even with going little wheel up front the drop off the BB isn't such an issue on the hardtail. I don't notice any discernible difference between 170 and the 165, a lot of that is probably down to the hardtail vs dually though. Not really comparing apples to apples...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I've had 175mm since forever but on the current trail bike I was smacking the crap out of them. Poor pedalling technique? Nah, it's the children who are wrong. Got some 170mm versions and the issue was massively reduced. Got another set of 170mm for the big bike.

Also curious about 165mm. BBs are getting pretty low these days.