Project anyone have experiance with Pinon gearboxes / pinon equipped bikes?

discofrank

Likes Dirt
As above

as i have plans for a new bike... :p
I am looking into a pinon gearbox ( like the zerodes from NZ but not a zerode ! )

So has anyone ridden a mtb with a pinion box?

did you like it?
good bad?
what about the grip shifter? how did it feel compared to say a normal thumb?

cheers

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had a Nicolai Helius AC Pinion for a few years now.

It is brilliant. Much better than a derailleur or a Rohloff for mtbing.

The grip shift is a non-issue that gets complained about by people who haven't ridden the Pinion gearbox.

The extra weight is the only downside. The new 12 and 9 speed versions bring the weight down so it's closer to a derailleur set up, but there's no flimsy, expensive derailleur hanging down to get ripped off or bent.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
cheers

im not worried about the weight, when im close on 100kgs 1/2 kilo aint going to matter too me
plus it is down in the BB where, if u had to have it, is the better place

I have never ridden a grip shift bike, hence asking, i like the idea of being able to change to any gear i like without pedaling

do u need to adjust the cables at all?
i know there is a yearly oil change ( like 60ml )

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The grip shift is a non-issue that gets complained about by people who haven't ridden the Pinion gearbox.
I figured that would be the case. Grip shift was fine untill I got used to paddles, and nobody complains about a moto throttle.

One day I'll try a gearbox bike, less maintenance, better chainline, weight nice and central, awesome.
And they'll get cheaper too hopefully.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Pinion feels like it has less drag than the Rohloff. It feels about the same as a derailleur set up to me, possibly because the chainline is always good. The two change over gears at 6 or 7 and 12 or 13 feel like they have more drag than a derailleur but that's about it.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
I also LOVE the idea of a Pinion equipped bike but can't stomach the price for the frames.

I haven't ridden with one either. From all reports I've read you get used to it very quickly and don't think about it after a few rides.

Any ideas about what your getting built?

-Shaun

discofrank

Likes Dirt
I also LOVE the idea of a Pinion equipped bike but can't stomach the price for the frames.

I haven't ridden with one either. From all reports I've read you get used to it very quickly and don't think about it after a few rides.

Any ideas about what your getting built?

-Shaun

full custom titanium job, locally made , single pivot, the builder can build it with the pinon too :)
thoughts are 160mm travel front and rear, with 27+ tyres :)
i want an allrounder, does not have to excell and nything, but able to do everything and with a smile on my dial!
KISS therom, a pinion g/box with a single piovot = Sweet fuck all in maintainece :p

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
full custom titanium job, locally made , single pivot, the builder can build it with the pinon too :)
thoughts are 160mm travel front and rear, with 27+ tyres :)
i want an allrounder, does not have to excell and nything, but able to do everything and with a smile on my dial!
KISS therom, a pinion g/box with a single piovot = Sweet fuck all in maintainece :p
Brilliant!

Send images when you've got it in your hands.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I hope these things are the future and not a side show...

.....because if there is one area on the the bike that I HATE working on, it's the bloody derailleur/chain/shifters etc.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
What a score.
careful it’s not stolen. That silly cheap and odd they’d sell the gearbox seperate.
yer i did not pull the pin..
as funds are not there.. :(
would hate to see a 1K part sitting in the shed.. now if someone would by my ducati... helloooo zerode! :p