Anyone got an STFUbike chain dampener?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
DT Swiss are mid range quiet. I run Onyx freehubs but they are bollock tinglingly expensive at the moment. I’ve just ordered Another set for a different bike and due to the dollar etc I’m up for a smidge over $1100. That said they are bomb proof as well as instant, and I mean instant engagement. The set I’ve just ordered will be my fourth. These are the spray type clutches you mentioned.
Did you splash out on the Vespers, or stick with the Classics?

For the gram-counters - Project 321 with the quiet pawls are also very quiet, and have very fast engagement with 216POE, but are around the same money at the moment... I would love another set, but not until that exchange rate improves significantly!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
For the gram-counters - Project 321 with the quiet pawls are also very quiet, and have very fast engagement with 216POE, but are around the same money at the moment... I would love another set, but not until that exchange rate improves significantly!
Cyclinic have some for 321 bits sale, although seemingly not entire rear hubs

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Cycling have some for 321 bits sale, although seemingly not entire rear hubs
Yeah they sold out Boost rear hubs ages ago. They had a couple of 142 rears until fairly recently.

Not sure what happened there, but P321 were having some issues around that time so maybe that had an effect. The pawls were dropping their magnets and the driver seals were prone leaking. They released a new driver seal a while back and the pawl magnets seem to have a bit more glue on them now, so (hopefully) all sorted.

With the updated seal installed, I love mine now. Light, quick engaging and quiet.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Would be good, I'm not a fan of noisy hubs. On DTs at the moment, next wheelset will go with something quieter.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Would be good, I'm not a fan of noisy hubs. On DTs at the moment, next wheelset will go with something quieter.
When I first rode the DT wheels I got 6 months ago, I thought something was wrong they were so quiet...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
When I first rode the DT wheels I got 6 months ago, I thought something was wrong they were so quiet...
Maybe it depends on the hub? I'm on 350s with the 54 tooth - what ones do you have?

moorey

call me Mia
They're pricey teeth!
I hear people pay good money for no teeth. Wait, what are we talking about?

I'm not a total tooth snob, I have a set of i9 but never use them. The 44t new Hopes are plenty for me, but I do miss the clicks when I ride older 24t Hopes

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you splash out on the Vespers, or stick with the Classics?
These will be my 4th set of classics. I wanted some Vespers for my 429Trail but they are more expensive here than the classics. Yet in the US they are either cheaper or the same price. That shit pisses me off. So I'm going to use the older normal spacing onyx hubs on my trail bike with problem solvers boost adaptors and put the new classic set in Pimping gold on the new bike.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From my googles I've really found Onyx, Stealth and the new Shimano XTR's to be the only true silent freehubs. I've heard of dudes over lubing Hopes etc to quiet them up but that's only a temporary measure. Sadly, apart from the Shimano's they will all cost you a nut at minimum and the Shimano's are centrelock only which also sucks as you are limited to their rotors or adaptors.