Anyone got a DT Swiss 240/350 Microspline Rear Boost Hub? Please read...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
The inner lip and ridge on the freehub are part of the hub, with the dust seal sitting between it and the hub shell. The fact that you don't appear to have these protrusions suggests your freehub isn't right for your 240s hubs?

BTW, the dust seals are readily available from German sites like bike-components.de - look for DT Swiss part number HSOXXX00N1031S.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Yeah, I'm beginning to thing that either it's:
  • a MS freehub for one of the licenced star ratchet hubs (SRAM, Bontrager, Syncros, etc)
  • a knock off AliExpress version.

But option B doesn't make sense to me, as even a knock off would "work", but just not that well. I've got my legendary LBS having a dig into their resource base to see if they've seen anything like it.

Pretty sure I'll have to source a new, "proper" freehub and then hope that option A is the case for this one, as then I'll at least have an avenue to sell out down the line to someone who has the specific hub version is designed for.

I did find this though, which although the imagery is bad, might be it... which doesn't bode well for me recovering any resale value... Nothing like African Knock Offs!

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hi guys, just checking back in. Sorry I've been AWOL for a bit, got a bit snowed under with family stuff and a camping trip. Thanks so much for the help everyone.

I will properly read everyone's posts and update this thread with pics of my freehub and the measurements outlined by @Nambra tomorrow - for the sake of trying to help others in the future.

However, I do think I have found a solution to my particular problem.

On a hunch I grabbed a pedal washer, and filed a tiny bit off the inside diameter. I put this over the axle - it fits inside of the existing washer (part #7 on the diagram below).

With this washer in place the hub seems to work well, doesn't bind at all when the axle is tightened.

Here's a picture of it sitting in place. You can see the standard DT washer, and the smaller pedal washer just inside of that.

Shredden

Knows his goats
So I've had another look at my hub and measured it as best I can.

With the washer I mentioned in the last post, the hub now measures exactly 148mm overall.

As best I can measure, the washer is 0.9mm thick.

Regarding the other dimensions as per @Nambra 's post, I have:

A - 2.6mm
B - 8.6mm
C - 6mm
D - 40.5mm
E - Approx. 40.5mm

Interesting that my measurement of E (~40.5mm) plus the thickness of the washer added (~0.9mm) is 41.4mm, which is extremely close to the measurement Nambra found for his XD driver.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Thanks for the update mate, glad to hear the washer sorted your issue.

I ended up biting the bullet and grabbing a new MS Driver from my LBS. Thankfuly they laughed but took a bit of pity on me and helped me out price wise. Interestingly, I can really see where the issue is with my driver compared to the new one.

Looking at the two side by side, the ratchet splines are at the same distance from the end of the driver, but the base of the new non-flanged version is 2.5mm lower than the flanged version. My LBS and I think that it's still a legit driver, but just for a DT Licensed hub where the driver is recessed into the hub-shell by a couple of mm. The bearing seal patterns are the same and the build and finish quality is top notch, which also helps in that thought.

Now just to find out which hub it's from so I can hopefully sell it on. Doesn't appear to be Roval based on the MTBR thread linked earlier, and while Syncro license the ratchet, the drivers I've searched for seem to be "standard" (aka the lip proud of the base). So that leaves Bontrager, but I can't find any decent images of the ratchet hubs, only their Rapid Drive, which is a pawl-based system.

So, what other brands use a DT Licensed ratchet setup? I'm all ears!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
So, what other brands use a DT Licensed ratchet setup? I'm all ears!
Giant use DT hubs, either rebranded 350/240 aswell as custom proprietry hubs. I bought a genuine 3-Pawl DT Microspline for my DBLTWO hub against advice from LBS, Giant and DTswiss who all said it wouldnt fit, turns out it did fit.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Cheers for that Mattyp, it's a start. I'll probably break off a new thread when I'm in front of a PC to get a full list of DT OEM hubs in one place.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Giant use DT hubs, either rebranded 350/240 aswell as custom proprietry hubs.
More correctly, Giant use DT innards planted in their own shells, using both star-ratchet and 3-pawl drives depending on spec level. Interestingly though, their current crop of MS wheels use Shimano hubs laced into house-brand rims.

Nambra

Nice work with the washer @Shredden. Your A, B and C measurements look similar, with the exception of your C at 6mm, which I think is my A at 5.6mm. This means your freehub inner bearing is 0.4mm more recessed into the freehub body, which when assembled on the hub, places the sealing surfaces 0.4mm closer to the hub shell - hence the fouling.

You may be able to get away with a thinner washer of 0.4mm or 0.5mm and have the same sealing gap as my XD driver, although your overall measurement (with washer installed) of 41.4mm compared to my 41.2mm also suggests that 0.7mm is your optimal spacer width. At any rate, you’ve got a solution that seems solid - it will be interesting to see if you notice any increase in dust and grime when you next service your freehub.

It seems @Isildur still has a mystery for us too!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
This one ?
I don't think so as that looks like a stock flanged driver, with the ratchet and lip/seal interface standing proud of the base.

More correctly, Giant use DT innards planted in their own shells, using both star-ratchet and 3-pawl drives depending on spec level.
Hmmm, that'll be my next thing to investigate. Any chance you have any pictures of that Giant/DT hub arrangement, as so far it's my best lead.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ok, my hubs have arrived and all is good, I have 147.75mm across the 350 rear hub with the micro spline kit fitted.

I squeezed it in the vice to replicate frame clamping and there is no binding, it spins freely.

Does anyone need any measurements still ?

Nambra

Is that the version without the wider flange @ozzybmx? Not sure that we need measurements if it is as that one probably won’t foul with the hub shell like the version that has the wider flange.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yes it is, if you go to the DT Swiss website and enter the barcode 7 digit ID code (2160717) as per the packaging, it takes you to the page with the part number that is printed on the packaging... hardly surprising.

Last edited: