Anyone else done this to a tyre?

tim_d

Likes Dirt

It was pumped up to 60 Psi, tyre is rated to 80psi, and i was standing next to the bike when it went off. Sounded like a gunshot too i almost crapped myself.
It was strange as i had pumped it up about half an hour beforehand, and then been riding it the whole time and it blew about a minute after i got off the bike
The tyre was beaded properly and everything as the bead was still inside the rim when the sidewall blew out.
I am pissed off as it is a $75 tyre (kenda small block eight btw), it was hardly worn, and i was really impressed with it so far.
So would it be a dodgy tube, tyre, or just bad luck or something?
I am thinking about writing to Kenda as to me it seems like a dodgy tyre and hopefully i can score a free tyre off them. The tyre is rated to 80psi after all. Thoughts?

ridesaGT

Likes Bikes
take it back to where you bought from first, clearly just riding would not cause that sort of damage.
A good shop would just replace it and deal with their rep about it, imo

xero

Supersports
Have you ridden the tyre flat at all or on very low pressure, previous to this day that it has blown up?

tim_d

Likes Dirt
No i haven't. I pinch flatted last week but I had stopped and was pushing the bike well before all the air was out. It had a new tube in it when it blew as well.
Before pumping it up yesterday (when it happened) it was running at 25-30psi, hence pumping it back up to 60 for the park.

tim_d

Likes Dirt
What's the lowest rating for the tyre?
Hmm i guess that could be a problem. Lowest is 30psi.
I had ridden it for all of about 10 minutes at 25psi though and that was entirely on road just getting from my place to the petrol station to pump it up.
Surely that wouldn't have caused it?

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm i guess that could be a problem. Lowest is 30psi.
I had ridden it for all of about 10 minutes at 25psi though and that was entirely on road just getting from my place to the petrol station to pump it up.
Surely that wouldn't have caused it?
If it had a crap sidewall, maybe.

Regardless, the tyre should not have done that. Just take it to your LBS and see what they can do for you.

xero

Supersports
I think that may be your issue......riding it at 25 PSI..... white lines on the sides of tyres are usually a sure tell of the tyre being run low....... this in turn can damage the threads on the side wall and cause exactly what you see here..... Unfortunate but true

smeck

Likes Dirt
I wish you luck with your warranty claim, but its rare that a tyre manufacture will accept a warranty claim for a sidewall failure. Their claim will be that you've nicked/cut the sidewall and then the pressure caused it to tear along the line weakened by the cut. The way it has failed along the lay of the ply and in two places and in different/both directions makes me believe you have a case, but whether they will accept it is another question. Riding at low pressure does hammer the sidewall so it could cause that type of failure (especially if you hit a kerb or pothole), and it wil probably be the reason they use if they reject your claim.

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the warranty claim fails and the LBS can't help you. Buy a Schwalbe TableTop.

Best.Tyre.Ever.

takai

Eats Squid
I blew up a NPJ the other day, clean blew the sidewall out. I was running 110psi and tailcased a jump though.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
white lines on the sides of tyres are usually a sure tell of the tyre being run low....... this in turn can damage the threads on the side wall and cause exactly what you see here..... Unfortunate but true
first thing I noticed too. No dice.

Last edited:

street_8

Squid
on a regular 26 inch bike i wouldnt wanna pump my tire up any higher 50 psi. i reckon 40-45 is enough. pretty crazy blowout tho

Matt H

Eats Squid
Never blown a tyre up like that before, but I've blown up countless tubes/tyres at work due to carelessness with the compressor.