Any skydivers here?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
There's no specific purpose to this thread, just wondering if any fellow riders also get their jollies in the sky. Maybe you've got some advice (good, bad or indifferent) about starting out, gear, DZ's worth making a trip to or avoid.

Just did my AFF at Nagambie in Vic and need a couple more accuracy landings for my A license. I'm looking at getting some basic gear to start out - just a rel suit, alti, helmet - and look at a rig once I'm on my Bs or there abouts... No real idea where to source any of it though!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
No I've never done it but think it would be a blast. But I just don't have room for another expensive hobby right now.
How expensive is it?

ajay

No I've never done it but think it would be a blast. But I just don't have room for another expensive hobby right now.
How expensive is it?

I hear ya. Its not cheap, $2650 for a 15 jump course over a week will get you to jumping solo. Once youre hooked add another few thousand on gear, then its $38/jump. Plus all the upkeep etc. But it is totally awesome....

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I grew up hanging around DZs (my old man was an instructor), Started jumping at 16 back in Scotland on static-line rounds (they hurt) before progressing onto freefall, then square canopies then trying my hand at free-flying (badly). I stopped around 21 when I started going backpacking.

I miss it but it's probably the club atmosphere I miss more and unfortunately our old club went to shit not long after I stopped jumping.
There seems to be a pretty low-key club not far from where I live these days and I've always been tempted to get back into it, even just for a fuck around but riding, kiting, drinking and travelling are all fairly expensive vices as it is...

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Not for me. Back in the day when I was a school lad, we had a teacher who was getting into sky diving. Attempting his first solo jump (after training, tandem jumps etc...), chute failed to open and it was game over. Since that event, said I will never do it......and what are the odds? Probably got more chanced of being hit by a car on my road bike or getting stabbed while lining up to buy a happy meal.

ajay

Get a Cypres AAD. it will cost $$, but a greater margin of safety beats the bejesus out of cratering.

The other brand is probably ok too. do your homework and ask around.

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/Safety_in_the_Sky_A_Skydiver_s_Defense_1151.html

As ajay says, skydiving IS totally awesome.
All the student rigs I've jumped are equipped with a Cypress - and everyone at the DZ uses on afaik.

I don't expect I'll be buying a rig for some time yet, but an AAD is a certainty.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
All the student rigs I've jumped are equipped with a Cypress - and everyone at the DZ uses on afaik.

I don't expect I'll be buying a rig for some time yet, but an AAD is a certainty.
Plenty of time to work out the rig that suits you. :thumb:

tom_smith01

Cannon Fodder
This could be only the break pink poodle endeavors needs to kill out model ebike the ground. Is your companion arranged to buy puppy crap with his family fortune? Thanks

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear ya. Its not cheap, $2650 for a 15 jump course over a week will get you to jumping solo. Once you're hooked add another few thousand on gear, then its $38/jump. Plus all the upkeep etc. But it is totally awesome....
That's cheaper than I thought, and only 15 jumps to get to solo, uneducated me thought it would be way more than that.

ajay

That's cheaper than I thought, and only 15 jumps to get to solo, uneducated me thought it would be way more than that.
To be more specific, the course includes 15 jumps. 8 of those are with instructors and 2 are low altitude (5000ft) hop n pops. The 5 extra jumps are all solos and can be used to work towards your A-License (you need to have completed the 10 jump Aff course as above and have 10 landings within a 25m target center. Ive done 15 jumps and am working on my landings. But I can start working on my B-rels (the course for relative - multi person - work). So if you pull the trigger, you can really get stuck into it and have lots of fun really early on!

ajay

Is that so you only die a little bit if you mess up?
If you'regoing to hit the deck anyway, they may aswell save the fuel instead of hauling your ass up to 14000!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
If you'regoing to hit the deck anyway, they may aswell save the fuel instead of hauling your ass up to 14000!
Bigger rush jumping from 5000ft. :becky:

I thought a hop 'n pop used to be from 3000ft (??). too many brown trousers moments maybe...:noidea:

ajay

Bigger rush jumping from 5000ft. :becky:

I thought a hop 'n pop used to be from 3000ft (??). too many brown trousers moments maybe...:noidea:

Yeah i loved them. Heaps of fun. Ours were 5000 and 4500 though i think someone said they used to be lower.