Anthem X1: Too Hard to Beat in "Bang For Your Buck" Terms?

cooken

Likes Dirt
Looking at the specs I'm not sold on the 2012 Anthem X, much lower spec list than the 2011 model, hence the lower price tag: no UST wheelset, RP2 as opposed to RP23...still a good spec for the coin, but not up there with the 2011 model IMO. Based on spec alobe I'd much prfer to pay $3600 for the 2011 model than $3000 for the 2012 version.
I think you'll notice a lot of stores selling the 2012 Anthem X advanced 1 at $3999 (composite frame). It's probably the reason behind the downgraded specs and price of the Anthem X 1 from 2011 to 2012. Otherwise it would have been competing too closely with the advanced.

mtb1611

Seymour
I think you'll notice a lot of stores selling the 2012 Anthem X advanced 1 at $3999 (composite frame). It's probably the reason behind the downgraded specs and price of the Anthem X 1 from 2011 to 2012. Otherwise it would have been competing too closely with the advanced.
Thanks for the info mate; I'd be willing to stretch to that price point if a carbon framed was involved.

cooken

Likes Dirt
The advanced 1 has a composite frame and aluxx rear swingarm. But also consider that the advanced has those awesome new xt brakes, keeps the xt rims instead of the giant hoops and the rp23 shock. If your budget stretches that far I think it would be hard to beat

Dekkman

Squid
I have the 2011 Anthem X Advanced SL 1 (carbon frame XT model) which I paid around 4K for brand new. They are going for a lot less than that now so unless you specifically want the 2012 model save yourself heaps and buy one now. I have also seen the 2011 full XTR SL 0 for under 6K, this came out in Feb this year retailing for $8k. Yes this means you are losing lots of $$$ selling 2nd hand but I think you lose heaps selling any 2nd hand mtb, I did when I sold my immaculate Epic a few years back. Giant has really hit the mark with these bikes, they ride unreal, look hot and cost bugger all in the scheme of high performance XC duallies.

DM

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
That polygon does look tempting but with a full suspension bike the main thing that defines how it rides is the geometry and suspension action. It may have all the top shelf kit but none of that kit can make up for a poor handling frame. That's not to say the frame is no good on the Polygon but it's untested. Looks pretty sorted and has Horst Link suspension (FSR) but who knows?

FierceRider

Likes Dirt
That polygon does look tempting but with a full suspension bike the main thing that defines how it rides is the geometry and suspension action. It may have all the top shelf kit but none of that kit can make up for a poor handling frame. That's not to say the frame is no good on the Polygon but it's untested. Looks pretty sorted and has Horst Link suspension (FSR) but who knows?
Yeah i know exactly what you mean. You are very correct here. Im having trouble finding reviews and past experiences with this bike. Id love a test ride. On the website it does state a trial period. :) Which makes it all the more tempting.