Another day another collarbone

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Felt pretty good yesterday, fucking painful today. It’s almost like someone sliced me open and attacked my innards with a screwdriver...
Do you know how many stitches are in there? I had 15 and found that they and the big waterproof patch were very restrictive, which exaggerated the post operation pain. Otherwise the endone was my friend for A few days and rather than stress out about kickstarting my recovery I relaxed and rested.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Do you know how many stitches are in there? I had 15 and found that they and the big waterproof patch were very restrictive, which exaggerated the post operation pain. Otherwise the endone was my friend for A few days and rather than stress out about kickstarting my recovery I relaxed and rested.
Yeah, no idea... Probably a few as they had to go in deeper to cut away the fibrous connections that had formed over the last couple of months before they could abrade back the ends and apply the bone graft.

I’m mostly having fun freaking myself out imagining the screws pulling loose everytime I move - knowing full well I’d probably having to take a fall onto my shoulder to knock it all loose.

Yesterday I was fine with Panadol, today it’s endone!

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m mostly having fun freaking myself out imagining the screws pulling loose everything I move - knowing full well I’d probably having to take a fall onto my shoulder to knock it all loose.
I'm still having fun with that ha ha. I know its fine and have all movement in back in my shoulder now. But can't help worrying I'll damage it as I'm moving.
Freaked myself right out the other night when I rolled onto my left shoulder as I was sleeping and woke up suddenly. Had to feel around make sure it was all still where it should be ha-ha!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I was worried about loosing symmetry...which I did not long after by fucking up my other shoulder.

I had a pretty big on snow crash while my machinery was all still in, awkward pop off a "cannon" that saw me land directly on the relevant shoulder. I layed in the snow for quite a while sure I'd ripped out the screws. Of course I hadn't. I've no idea how much force it would actually take but am under the belief it is more likely the bone will break near the ends of the plate. This could be wildly inaccurate speculation though.

Haakon

I'm still having fun with that ha ha. I know its fine and have all movement in back in my shoulder now. But can't help worrying I'll damage it as I'm moving.
Freaked myself right out the other night when I rolled onto my left shoulder as I was sleeping and woke up suddenly. Had to feel around make sure it was all still where it should be ha-ha!
Fun times :) How’s yours going?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fun times :) How’s yours going?
Great thanks mate, amazing how quickly our bodies do repair themselves with a little bit of help from surgery.
Exactly 4 weeks today! As said, can now lift my arm all the way up again in all directions, just not allowed to pick up anything heavier than a cup of coffee for another 2 weeks.

My shoulder still gets a little ache from time to time. And the tendon going up into my neck still feels a bit tight. But very happy with how things are going. Other than that the scar has reached that itchy stage ha ha.

After trying to stretch my arm up my back, I'm getting a few clicks out of my shoulder, but hoping that is just due to the muscles still needing to be used more in certain areas. Will chat about that with the physio tomorrow.

You'll be feeling better in no time, then just becomes annoying due to the sling. But I'm sure you're used to that by now!

Haakon

How we travelling @Haakon ?
Must be starting to feel a bit better now, hopefully only another week of the sling!
Feeling better. Carefully leaving it out of the sling when lying around and walking around house with thumb hooked into shirt, especially to sleep. Certainly not swing the arm around!

Sling on if I’m going for a walk or something though. After this long my arm is pretty painful in the sling...

The wounds have been trouble free though, and no pain in the bone itself. It’s the shoulder joint and bicep that are hurting...

Last edited:

Haakon

I’m told the sling is more for soft tissue recovery so you can be guided by pain. And don’t swing the arm outwards and don’t pick up anything heavy. Mechanically you’re not going to pull the screws out.

I’ve already got exercises to help move the shoulder joint.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Definitely don't pick up anything. My first foray into lifting with the affected arm was an insanely painful disster. 2L of milk many months after the surgery and I'm laying on the floor of Coles.

Haakon

I’m hoping in a couple of weeks I can start on some of the light jobs. Reassembly brakes on the car and starting the wiring jobs on the Alfa for stereo and trailer lights. No lifting involved

teK--

Eats Squid
I’m hoping in a couple of weeks I can start on some of the light jobs. Reassembly brakes on the car and starting the wiring jobs on the Alfa for stereo and trailer lights. No lifting involved
You should be fine to do light work that doesnt involve applying force with that arm. When I had mine pre-op and in a sling I was able to get my bike up on to the workstand and do a fork rebuild using only one arm and by taking my time.

Just imagine how someone who only has one arm permanently, would do the job.

I was worried about loosing symmetry...which I did not long after by fucking up my other shoulder.

I had a pretty big on snow crash while my machinery was all still in, awkward pop off a "cannon" that saw me land directly on the relevant shoulder. I layed in the snow for quite a while sure I'd ripped out the screws. Of course I hadn't. I've no idea how much force it would actually take but am under the belief it is more likely the bone will break near the ends of the plate. This could be wildly inaccurate speculation though.
Not speculation. Surgeons recommend taking the plate out after 6 months for that reason, and then resting further 10 weeks for the screw holes to heal over. Ive also had some snow tumbles since as well and agree it is bloody nerve racking.

Tha sounds not a lot of awesome. He was told the best treatment was to be put under and have the doctor spend some time reefing on his arm to loosen it up. He wasn't too keen on either option and one day he stopped bitching about it, which I took to mean it was resolved or he realised he wasn't going to get anywhere with a workers comp claim. Damn public servants.
Another way to do it at home is you hold weights or set up a pulley system over a doorway for example, which allows gravity or your other hand to push your bad shoulder past the point of adhesion. it just takes persistence, pain tolerance and a lot of swearing

Haakon

My biggest problem for the last few days is that the collarbone jsut doesn’t hurt, and I’m already absent mindedly doing things with it... Only picking up cups of tea or pulling pants on etc, but im constantly having to remind myself to stop using it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ if you aren't careful, your body will remind you to take it easy. I didn't shave for about 3 months when I came out of hospital. For the first month or so I just couldn't get my hand near my face. Then it was all just too much to beard to see a way through it.

Not speculation. Surgeons recommend taking the plate out after 6 months for that reason, and then resting further 10 weeks for the screw holes to heal over. Ive also had some snow tumbles since as well and agree it is bloody nerve racking.
I had the machinery in for about a year. I barely rode a bike on dirt the whole time (which really sucked) because of the discomfort that came from the plate levering against the screws. I was amazed at how quickly everything recovered once the machinery was removed. It was difficult to resist the urge to be free while those screw holes healed up!

At the same time one of my friends was getting around with plates on both collarbones still because he couldn't be bothered to get them out. Madness!

Haakon

4 more weeks in the sling. because its a bone graft on an old break they are being cautious... yay. no physio allowed. shoulder will be well fucked after that.

oh well, it will pass.