Angle headset on a carbon frame?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm looking at putting an -1.5 angle headset into my 5010 CC. Has anyone done similar on carbon frames and have any experience on how the frames hold up?

For reference - I don't take big jumps (the lower 3-jump section of Cressy is about the biggest I'll take for those that know it), and it will "only" grow the front centre/wheelbase of the bike about 18mm... I know it wouldn't be covered under warranty, but I feel the frame would be up to it - but wondered if others had tried anything similar...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Don't freak about warranty:

https://www.bikemag.com/blog/cane-creek-introduces-innovative-angleset-headset/

"In a conversation with Santa Cruz Bicycles, they identified a need in the mountain bike market to give riders a simple way to adjust a head-tube angle," says Josh Coaplen, Cane Creek Director of R&D. "Every other angle adjustment system on the market is dependent on head-tube length or is bike specific, which is not user friendly and often incompatible with a given frame. Santa Cruz gave me a challenge and the resulting AngleSet fits a much wider range of bikes and is very easy to use."

Extensive testing and development of the AngleSet was performed by Santa Cruz Bicycles and many of the top professional downhill riders on the World Cup circuit. Rider Kyle Strait and others are actively riding the AngleSet in World Cup competition this season.
Got an offset in my Ripley. Never makes a peep.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@the drizzle has done this before with a Santa Cruz frame. The frame is working for me just fine these days. Im not running the angle set in it, but it's for a 49mm ID straight head tube so no use to you.

beeb

@the drizzle has done this before with a Santa Cruz frame. The frame is working for me just fine these days. Im not running the angle set in it, but it's for a 49mm ID straight head tube so no use to you.
Carbon frame? The longevity is a very slight concern, but they're a bloody solid feeling frame and the "I want" is beating "I should be cautious about this".

That’s gonna make it ride so good! You got me thinkin about one for my tranny now
Haha, yep - I can't resist. Will be so good in berms and through little chutes. It doesn't help that I have one ready to go already either. ;)

PS: Do it!!!! :cool:

beeb

It survived Nate. If you aren't in a rush by 6 months if it hasn't died I'll let you know.
Nah all good, I'll get it installed and just see how it plays out - too keen not to. I really doubt I ride hard enough to damage the frame anyway tbh unless I really stuff up a jump or something... Thanks anyway.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nah all good, I'll get it installed and just see how it plays out - too keen not to. I really doubt I ride hard enough to damage the frame anyway tbh unless I really stuff up a jump or something... Thanks anyway.
You watched the old sc carbon destruction videos on you tube? If not have a look how much force it takes to fuck up their early carbon frames.

beeb

You watched the old sc carbon destruction videos on you tube? If not have a look how much force it takes to fuck up their early carbon frames.
Yeah they're pretty intense! (and seriously impressive)

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn't install the angleset on poodles frame but rode it without issue. You'll be fine

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

beeb

Isn't that an IS headset? What did it sound like tightening the headset press to get the offset cups in?
That's the latest Nomad 4 not what poods and the drizzle are talking about. Up until the current frames most Santa Cruz bikes have had press-in headsets.

Reactions: Zaf