an odd topic. Grips

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys.
Did a quick search and nothing came up, so here goes.
So Im looking for some grips on my Downhill bike, and i really havent found a great grip i like, I started with a softer one (forgot what one) and it was just annoying because i do crash a bit and chunks came out and it got fairly sticky, so i got sick of that and got some Fun grips. I liked them when i was riding with gloves on, but sometimes i feel like riding glove less, and the grips then shit me, they feel to solid, like your holding onto metal with a thin layer wrapped around it, but whenever i crashed i had no problems with chunks coming out. So now they are at the end of their life, i am in the market for a new pair. And with grips you have limited choice of what you can have a feel of before you buy. As my LBS has a limited range (not bagging them, who would carry many diffrent pairs of grips) so before i order some in from my shop or CRC, can you guys recomend me a good pair of grips in the middle point of the very hard and the soft. so i can be comfortable in bare hands and not have them get ripped to shreds when i crash
thanks in advance.

Luke_Donno

Likes Bikes
ODI Ruffians

I have had a set of ruffians on for close to 7 months. They are have been worn down and there's not much left of them but the are still quite comfortable even without gloves.
And are also quite grippy but not sticky, was riding today in the rain and my hands felt fine on them.
The grips look like they would be hard but actually have a nice feel to them and are tough as ever.
I've actually been so happy with them I ordered another pair to replace the ones I have.

Korune

Likes Dirt
They were one of the ones i was looking at, but i was wondering how long they would last.
thanks for the help!
Anyone tried the Lizard skin peaty grips?
ruffians are the best... I have them on my 4X, BMX and DH bike...

for the first couple of rides they are a bit rough to use without gloves, but the soften up really nicely... I wear gloves for BMX (club rules) and run without gloves for 4X and DH... ruffians are amazing for both and at the price you can get them for on crc ($25 when I bought them) you can't go wrong...

As for how long they last, I have taken a small chunk out of one of mine when I crashed, but considering how many times I have crashed with these grips, one small piece missing isn't enough to worry about... The ones on my BMX bike are around 9 months old and still as good as the day I got them (almost)...

WaLLy04

Likes Bikes
I am now running a set of lizard skins and loving them, but yeah might be a bit solid for no gloves, but previously was running ODI intense lock ons, and I'm a heavy crasher and the ODI's are still in perfect shape and soft enough to do runs all day with no gloves....

tumble

Likes Dirt
I found Ruffians were the worst for tearing up when they hit anything because they are so soft. I just switched to Renthal grips. They have 4 different compounds to choose from, they have the soft Kevlar versions which apparently last better than the standard rubber, then soft (light grey), medium (mid grey) & hard (dark grey). I went for the mediums & are finding they have identical grip to the ruffians but much more damage resistant. I've used them gloveless also & grip wise they feel exactly the same as Ruffians but 1 or 2mm narrower which gives you better feel/feedback through the bars.
They work out about the same price by the time you get the adhesive required to instal them as they are not a lock-on style grip but a glue on with screw in end caps.
I rate them 9/10

needaride

Likes Dirt
ODI Ruffians are sweet - I keep trying other grips but end up back on the Ruffian. The MX version with the half waffle pattern go alright if you want a fatter grip. They do wear out faster than other grips but even then they are good. The Lizard Skin Peaty's are good but don't have quite as nice a feel as the Ruffians, they will last alot longer though. Another random grip that I've found to be ok is the Lizard Skin Charger.. great in the wet and last ages. Would love to try the Renthals but want them in a lock on....

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys.
Did a quick search and nothing came up, so here goes.
So Im looking for some grips on my Downhill bike, and i really havent found a great grip i like, I started with a softer one (forgot what one) and it was just annoying because i do crash a bit and chunks came out and it got fairly sticky, so i got sick of that and got some Fun grips. I liked them when i was riding with gloves on, but sometimes i feel like riding glove less, and the grips then shit me, they feel to solid, like your holding onto metal with a thin layer wrapped around it, but whenever i crashed i had no problems with chunks coming out. So now they are at the end of their life, i am in the market for a new pair. And with grips you have limited choice of what you can have a feel of before you buy. As my LBS has a limited range (not bagging them, who would carry many diffrent pairs of grips) so before i order some in from my shop or CRC, can you guys recomend me a good pair of grips in the middle point of the very hard and the soft. so i can be comfortable in bare hands and not have them get ripped to shreds when i crash
thanks in advance.
143mm ODI ruffians with the flange. Nuff said

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Do you like Fat Grips or Skinny grips ?

The loaded grips are likely more on the skinny side of things ... I've been using mine without gloves for the past 4 months having come from ezi grips.
I love the ezi grips but they just don't last in a digger. The Silicone based antislip texture is kinda soft and freaky at first, but the combination of lockons and alloy end cap has increased its survivability in the crashes I have ... comes in 5 colours.

Don't want to believe me ... well here is a review
http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/review-loaded-precision-pedals-and-grips/
Local price is $34.95

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you like Fat Grips or Skinny grips ?

The loaded grips are likely more on the skinny side of things ... I've been using mine without gloves for the past 4 months having come from ezi grips.
I love the ezi grips but they just don't last in a digger. The Silicone based antislip texture is kinda soft and freaky at first, but the combination of lockons and alloy end cap has increased its survivability in the crashes I have ... comes in 5 colours.

Don't want to believe me ... well here is a review
http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/review-loaded-precision-pedals-and-grips/
Local price is $34.95
These look interesting, as i am now debating between 2 pairs, i will hopefully buy them both, and then run them on 2 diffrent bikes. And see witch ones i like better!
Thanks Guys

senergy

Squid
ODI Troy Lee Designed, Had the Ruffians previously and they were ok, but these grip so much better without having to hold on too tight.

I only ever use Oury. Soft yet tough. The only time I ripped a chunk was when I stacked jumping down a set of stairs onto asphalt. You can pick them up for about $15-20 from ebay. The last pair I bought was from NZ and were still cheap with postage. I think the only down side is they are not for little hands.

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
I use oury on my hemi, and ruffians On the bighit, I like them so much I have 2 sets do I can change colours when I feel like it

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use ODI Ruffians, Rufian MX's (FR/DH) and on XC the Rogue because its slightly fatter, and more comfy for bare hands ...

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
+1 to ruffians.
but if you get them off crc make sure you get the ones WITH the clamps included. lucky i had some old ones lying around :p

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These look interesting, as i am now debating between 2 pairs, i will hopefully buy them both, and then run them on 2 diffrent bikes. And see witch ones i like better!
Thanks Guys
I am running the Loaded grips and they are pretty good, they are super comfy, look cool and so far they seem pretty durable. I would recommend giving them a try. I run my grips until they are falling apart, then I put them on my old bike for some more life.