Am I crazy for not wearing a helmet.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
WTF is with the tie?? Shave your head and grow a beard, otherwise you'll continue to look like the nice man next door who people like to keep their children away from...

I know it's (probably) not a picture of you, but as you gave no explanation we're going to pretend it is...
...and that's where you'd be wrong. This is actually a picture of johnny. But you are correct, he should grow a beard and get his hipster on truely deep. I'd suggest drinking coffee through a tobacco pipe.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I read most of the thread ... Laughed at the MC Nuggent(sp) thing

all about confidence and self control

I ride like a Numpty without one ... So I don't have fun ... So I ride with a Helmet when I remember it ... But when I occasionally forget to pack it ... I'll still go for a ride ... Takes about 30mins before I train myself I don't Need a lid and can eventually relax enough to just enjoy. I subconsciously regulate my speed so I don't crash my brains out ... That was subconscious word selection too BTW.

So if we didn't have to wear helmets, many of us wouldn't and only a few of us would end up as vegetables ... Prolly those guys that think they need a helmet ... It's just Darwinian ... so I'm safe.:thumb:

all about confidence and self control

mellow

Banned
lids.

Interestingly, Australia is one of only two nations I can think of where helmets are mandatory.
There is the view of the health and social and environmental benefits of getting those too precious of unsettling their hairdo onto bicycles outweighs the cost of nut damage.
Take Scandinavian countries, where bikes are rife. Not a helmet in sight. The King of Norway rides to the train station, buys a ticket to the footy, and rides public transport there unaccompanied.
Low incidence of heart disease, high level of education, traditionally low level of violent crime. Politicians are tradesmen and so on.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I want to close this thread to alleviate the social pressures some people would receive because of the stupid things they are saying but the laughs keep coming.
If you think it's no big deal to to ride along without your helmet in whatever circumstance it is then yeah, that's your choice and you're educated on some sort of level that prompts you to make that............educated............decision.
There's always arguments for not putting a helmet on. You could be having beers on the front lawn with mates and doing cutties on the driveway, you could be rolling a bike around the pits at a race and bouncing on the suspension or you could be between stages at an enduro riding to the start of the next trail. You're making your choice and actioning it your way. I will say that I am kind of mystified by the whole "I never wear a helmet" thing as I can say that nah, I've never seen a roadie, a mountain biker, a downhiller or an XC rider on a trail or the road in Australia without a helmet on. The only people I've seen without helmets are the punters riding to the shop in thongs, the Mum's riding with the kids around playgrounds and alarmingly, the cool skate park rats. My point is it appears to me as though anyone who's doing some riding as a passion and a hobby will always have a helmet on on the trail or the road 'cause they know the consequence. The kids doing dirt jumps and skate park without helmets are doing so purely for the image thing and haven't been filled on on just how horrible and life changing it could be to crack your skull open.
This thread is pointless and the point of not wearing a helmet should be put on the people who choose not to wear a helmet, not argued by people who never ride without one.

Thats you guys!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
...and that's where you'd be wrong. This is actually a picture of johnny. But you are correct, he should grow a beard and get his hipster on truely deep. I'd suggest drinking coffee through a tobacco pipe.
No way!! I always thought this was Johnny....

Attachments

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Got me right in the feel...I miss those days where the hair I felt on my back came from the top of my head!

Do you reckon helmets accelerate hair loss?
Now THERE is a more interesting point than whether or not to wear a helmet. I unfortunately could never grow something as majestic as that. As my hair grows it curls. I looked like I had a curly mullet during my youth when long hair was cool. Sigh....

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Funny part is I'm not even trolling, arguments werent convincing, severity vs likelyhood trade off n all.

still not gonna swap my cap for a helmet.

The sort of trails I ride are poor condition fire trials (not ridiculously bad) and twisty single track.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
I'm all for personal choice. You want to wear a helmet go for it. You dont want to; don't. I don't feel you need to justify your decisions to us though if something were to go wrong, you may need to justify your decision to yourself.

Not too long ago I had a discussion with a drunk person who thought the wearing of seatbelts was silly and uncomfortable. This discussion took place while we were cutting his passenger (another non seatbelt wearer) out from under the dashboard of the car he wrapped around a pole.

Even though I've only ever been involved in a minor car accident, I'm pretty happy to keep wearing a seatbelt, just in case:)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Now THERE is a more interesting point than whether or not to wear a helmet. I unfortunately could never grow something as majestic as that. As my hair grows it curls. I looked like I had a curly mullet during my youth when long hair was cool. Sigh....
Very long, very curly, and very thick...then one day in my late 20s not so much on the thick. I'm sure it syncs in with riding a lot more, everyday and then some...the friction? The sweat? The lack of natural light? Who knows..? Maybe the helmet was a different kind of magic.

stirk

Burner
Very long, very curly, and very thick...then one day in my late 20s not so much on the thick. I'm sure it syncs in with riding a lot more, everyday and then some...the friction? The sweat? The lack of natural light? Who knows..? Maybe the helmet was a different kind of magic.
The only thing that could have stopped your balding is if your dad pulled the 'helmet' all the way down all those years ago. But then you wouldn't be here to complain about going bald.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The only thing that could have stopped your balding is if your dad pulled the 'helmet' all the way down all those years ago. But then you wouldn't be here to complain about going bald.
I've got a very wide coverage...if I grafted skin from my back or butt would that solve the problem?

stirk

Burner
I've got a very wide coverage...if I grafted skin from my back or butt would that solve the problem?
Yep, crack, sack and back hair plugs would work although you may end up looking like a hairy ball sack with all that short and curly hair, on the flip side at least your nether regions would be more bald, apparently that's fashionable now.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Look, at first I searched up bear the bear, then johnny, but surprisingly given the conversation I think I may have inadvertently come up with pink poodle as well

IMG_0146.JPG

marc.r

Likes Dirt
So in summary. If you have good hair don't spoil it with a helmet. If you look like Johnny. Full face helmet even when your doing a milk and fags run.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I bet you can't even find an incidence worldwide of such an outcome - cars are another matter entirely.
And Lorraine wore a helmet every time she suffered a concussion, now she can't even ride a bike along a path, hell she sometimes struggles to stand up, her brain is so scrambled.

I suggest her first concussion would have been her last, had she been without the brain bucket. Sometimes shit happens, so why stick you dick in the toaster if you don't have to?

The OP's question was "am I an idiot" the consensus seems to be "yes". Asked and answered, no one is forcing him to wear the helmet or cease his unsealed byway velocipeding. No need for his petulant whining for not being held up as the hard man, he obviously feels his fight the power naughtiness makes him.

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk