Alternative for Sram oil in Rockshox air can??

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I needed to take my aircan off to take a positive spacer out and I'd like to add a bit of oil as recommended. I don't have any of the Sram oil so is there something else I can use? A really lightweight oil? It's only 5ml....

DMan

Repco and super cheap stock Permatex assembly lube. I’ve used Clevites assembly lube too, but you won’t get this in a retail site easily. The permatex stuff should be on the shelf at $15 a small bottle.

Champion. Thanks Link.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately I don't have any and my LBS is 2 hours away

Isn't that ATF? Can I use a 15W-50 motor oil?
You could use motor oil but ATF sticks so well and has heaps of anti foaming additives (probably not an issue in this case).
Assembly lube is a good suggestion, I've got heaps of Torco and will try it next time.

DMan

You could use motor oil but ATF sticks so well and has heaps of anti foaming additives (probably not an issue in this case).
Assembly lube is a good suggestion, I've got heaps of Torco and will try it next time.
Good to know. I'm actually struggling to find assembly lube that's not a grease here, so ATF might have to be the back up.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to know. I'm actually struggling to find assembly lube that's not a grease here, so ATF might have to be the back up.
It's the wonder lubricant, much under rated. We actually used it a few times as damper oil in a rally car because it's got such excellent high temp properties. Also a wonderful cutting fluid / lube for the lathe, drill, mill.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not sure about other assembly lubes, but the Torco MPZ we use on race engines is thick and sticky AF. It's not quite golden syrup but almost like honey. I think it would be ok on pawl systems but not so sure about DT ratchets and Chris King black magic.

DMan

Gear oil around (75-90) is the best thing I've found, the assembly lube can be a bit sticky.
I'll see what they have. But yep, it looks like it's pretty fine based off the oil around the inside of the can. Either way I'm sure they'll have some option in either ATF or gear oil worse case.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Type F ATF is thicker than the usual Dexron III if you are looking for a middle ground, but it's nothing like gear oil.
Perhaps some sort of jungle juice made of Dex and Torco.

DMan

Type F ATF is thicker than the usual Dexron III if you are looking for a middle ground, but it's nothing like gear oil.
Perhaps some sort of jungle juice made of Dex and Torco.
Is gear oil thinner?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Gear oil around (75-90) is the best thing I've found, the assembly lube can be a bit sticky.
Best thing you've found for what application? @DMan was asking for shock aircan oil in the OP. 75W-90 is thick as.

I've not opened a Rockshox shock (yet), but imagine the oil would be pretty light.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Sounds like this assembly lube would be ideal in freehubs as well?
I’ve thinned out slickolium with a bit more Esso mineral oil for one of my DT star ratchets. Few thousand km later, still good. Still safer to use the real deal

Can also thin out any of these assembly lubes with mineral oil.

Clevite is about right from memory, matches SRAMs air can lube’s Cst 40c value.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I'd just use some slickoleum. The spec maxima oils are supposed to be really good. But if you'd haven't got it, throw some slicko in there (sram butter if you're a purist).

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I needed to take my aircan off to take a positive spacer out and I'd like to add a bit of oil as recommended. I don't have any of the Sram oil so is there something else I can use? A really lightweight oil? It's only 5ml....
Is the air can oil RS specs "Maxima Extra 15w50 suspension oil"?

If so it looks like it is just a
Maxima engine oil, CST@40°C of 108

Last edited: