Allergy Immunotherapy advice pls.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hi folks,

Short version: I am getting more and more allergic and struggling to go outside. Halp!

Long version.

So as a kid I am pretty allergic to pollen and that sort of stuff. Got some immunotherapy done as a kid and looks like it lasted about 2 decades or so. It's wearing off (or something is changing) and each year hayfever is getting worse and worse. It's to the point where spring is almost awriteoff without alternating between nasonex and other antihisemines. To make tings worse looks like the skin reactions are hitting harder now with age too. My legs are constantly copping some sort of itch mainly from little nicks on random bushes and plants while out riding. It's getting really annoying.

Anyone done immunotherapy as an adult and can share experiences? I've been told it costs more, takes longer to start working (costs more!) and doesn't last as long compared to when you do it as a kid. Confused and not sure - oral or injections or the DIY honey method lol?

I've seen some sneezy burners out there so I'm guessing I'm not alone haha.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yes.

I’ve fully raging mast cell activation syndrome, heyfever on roids. Every morning for me is two Zyrtec, two Claratyne and two Ketotifin, on a high pollen day I wear a 3M breathing respirator.

This has been the worst pollen season on record in Melbourne. Thunderstorm asthma days are scary.

The best doctor to see in Melbourne is Dr. Anjana Arunachalam at Balwyn Doctors. She’s an integrative doctor. $330 an hour, but she’s worth it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I’ve fully raging mast cell activation syndrome, heyfever on roids. Every morning for me is two Zyrtec, two Claratyne and two Ketotifin, on a high pollen day I wear a 3M breathing respirator.
Geez, that might help my complaining a bit, sounds terrible. Add to that Melbourne is an absolute craphole for allergy.

Efficacy and satisfaction seems pretty good. Might have to investigate further.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
have you had allergen prick testing done to spec. identify agents, i used to love sitting there sticking away a giant checkerboard

ps the honey method is mostly BS, all commercial honey passes thru a heated very fine sieve, you would need cold extracted, & some pollen robbed from the hive mixed into the honey- if you’re in melb i have access to a hive & can prob retrieve for you, for free if u agree to come with & stik an unsliced hand into said hive..from what i understand the hive has to be very local to you, to get right pollen mix

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
have you had allergen prick testing done to spec
Yeah, basically anything that is green plant matter lol.

I figured the honey method was a bit of hot air. My research suggests that oral ingestion is less effective than via injection so at this point willing to go for the nuclear option haha.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
My heyfever appeared at the age of about 35. Spring was pretty miserable until I went back to work after about 7 years looking after the kids. Now being outside as a landscaper has taken the edge off it and is very manageable with nasal spray and a Fexo each day. Might have had something to do with constant and gradual exposure or vitamin D that I didn't get being inside with the kids more. Probably very different to your experience but I do remember looking it up when it first started up there was a lot of talk of intestinal worms being the magic cure. I read a blog about a guy flying to Cameroon to walk around barefoot in public toilets to get hookworm. He claimed it almost cured him. Don't know what else he picked up while there.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have always suffered from hayfever or allergies to dust and pollen etc. Not bad enough to seek medical help and I dont generally take stuff if I can help it. So maybe a 3 or 4/10. This year though has been quite bad. Maybe with the sword of covid hanging over everyone my brain thinks it is worse? I really have no idea. We get a weed I call bluetop because I have no idea what its botanical name is and I dont want to glorify it. When I mow this shit gives me a sore throat and excess snot. Not ideal this year. Stifle a cough and people throw rocks at you. And that is just at home. Anyways I have had a telephone consultation and my symptoms are not covid and 99.9% hayfever. Still I have to antihistamine for a week and see what happens. Might actually have to take something this year...