All the colours of the rainbow *ebike warning*

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got an early birthday present from my beautiful wife. Took it for a short ride at Nerang and it was awesome. Full proper test ride tomorrow. The plastic pedals it comes with were surprisingly grippy, the rear brake is 2 piston for some reason, and I reckon the fork will need replacing in the future. Will get some One Up pedals, front gaurd, and change to ESI chunky's. Wife says get a black bottle too.
Enjoy!

Frame - Merida eone sixty limited edition
Rear shock - Rockshox Super Deluxe select
Motor - Shimano E8000
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Gold 35
Handlebars/Stem/Headset/Grips/Saddle/Rims - Merida
Seatpost - Merida 150mm
Front brake - Shimano MT520 4 piston
Rear brake - Shimano MT500 2 piston
Cranks - Shimano FC-E8000 165mm
Chainguide - Yes
Chain - SLX
Pedals - Plastic generic
Rear derailleur - XT RDM8100
Rear shifter - SLX 12 sp
Cassette - SLX
Front hub - MT400
Rear hub - MT510
Tyres - Front = Assegai 29x2.5 Rear = DHR2 27.5x2.6
Total weight - Probably 24kg

ausdb

Being who he is
What's an acoustic mtb, is it something monocoque that makes all sort of noises when you ride it?

Nice bike by the way

ausdb

Being who he is
That's what I was thinking or showing my age a San Andreas, so what's a non electric non acoustic bike called? Most noises would be the puffing and panting of the pedaller.

ausdb

Being who he is
Not when you own old oranges.
Yes but I thought we'd established, old mouldy oranges past their best before date were classed as acoustic bikes, does it also apply to fresh juicy ones?

Mas2 really sorry for the thread jack just having a laugh. I am stoked for you, as maligned as they are on this forum, if an e bike gets you out riding more power to you. I would not say no to one.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ride Report time:

It was exhausting.

This is the first time I have had a proper long ride on an ebike and you just spin the entire time. My legs are sore and I even sweated. I went to Gap Creek and did 32km in 1h 50m covering pretty much all the tracks and using 80% of the battery. This suits my riding perfectly but I can see why others want bigger batteries and more range. I'm keen to use it to explore for more trails I have seen on trailforks.

The assist has 3 modes - eco, trail, and boost. I used trail for pretty much all of it, boost on a couple of fire trails towards the end, and eco when trying to take off up hill. You really have to be careful with gear shifts because the assistance is based on how much you keep spinning. Once you hit that 25km barrier it feels like you are pedalling in mud due to the motor resistance but I think there are a few motors I think that disengage a lot better. This motor has 70Nm of assistance and I wouldn't want any less.

I am smack bang on the large which I got but the XL felt fine too. Getting the bike in and out of the car is hard with the 24kg weight but you dont notice it that much on the trails. Looking forward to giving my riding mates a try.

Components:
Merida grips
- Grippy but I prefer ESI chunkys.
Merida saddle - Dont like. Has 2 points at the end of the saddle that make it look cool but they felt like they were poking into my butt cheeks even with the saddle slid fully back.
Deity Deftrap pedals - So grippy but that also makes it hard to get a good position on them.
Rockshox 35 Gold - I reckon my old Fox 34 Rhythm forks were a lot better.
Super Deluxe Select - Was fantastic and dead silent.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Once you hit that 25km barrier it feels like you are pedalling in mud due to the motor resistance but I think there are a few motors I think that disengage a lot better. This motor has 70Nm of assistance and I wouldn't want any less.
It's not so much the motor resistance it's that the motor is not assisting you at all where before it was significantly.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
It's not so much the motor resistance it's that the motor is not assisting you at all where before it was significantly.
I don't think this is technically correct
On my Ebike anyway , when I hit the magic 25Kph mark, the motor actually feels like it is in a regenerative mode rather than assist mode, as even if you are free wheeling above 25kmh but pedalling you can feel the load you have to apply to make the cranks go around..hard to explain but easy to demonstrate.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update Time:
I have owned the bike for 5 weeks and have done about 450kms on it now (while still doing some road riding in between too). This amount is a lot more than I would or could have done before but it will slow down now though as I have got a job starting in a couple of weeks. I can get just over 40kms on one charge if I stretch it out which is with a lot of elevation too.

I love the bike and have been doing a heap of exploring on it and finding trails that I would never have found before. People have been super keen to chat with me about it and I have seen a lot more people out on them now too. I originally thought it would be so easy that I would only need a water bottle but I still go through a 1.5l camelbak in the same 2 hour ride time. Because I am getting more downhill runs in I find my thighs hurt more at the end of a ride as well as my arms and shoulders.

I find that I will start in eco and as I progressively get worn out will go to the next level of assist called trail and when I get further worn out will chuck it occasionally in boost. When it gets to the last 10 percent of battery it auto drops to eco and flashes which I generally push myself to get one last run in. I dont ever feel the need to just boost everywhere. For me riding is mainly about my mental health and I find that because I am riding quicker up hills my mind doesn't wander into negative thoughts as much as I would when just grinding away on my old bike as I need to be more attentive to what is going on.

What I noticed that it allows me to do when riding up hill is to punch up over obstacles like roots and rocks that I couldn't before, particularly at the end of a ride. What I don't like though is the 25km/h cutout. When you hit that speed you feel it as this motor doesn't disengage properly and you end up pushing against it. It does become a bit awkward with jumps that I feel I need to be going faster than that for but that trade-off is worth it for me though. At this rate I am going to go through a lot of consumables a lot quicker than I normally would. Tyres, chains, pads, and need to watch for suspension servicing coming up a lot quicker than normal.

Grips - swapped to ESI chunkys which have shredded themselves on a couple of little spills. For $45 to ship with those crappy little end caps is too much for me to swallow going forward. Time for a switch.
Pedals - The Deity defttraps are super grippy with long pins. The back of my legs have scabs all over them from getting hit by them and the back of my knee pads are getting torn up too.
Forks - new Marz Z1's coming soon.
Brakes - I upgraded my rear caliper to the deore 4 piston as it only had a 2 pot on there before but with 4 at the front already. While the 2 piston stopped me fine my left hand is noticeable less fatigued as I dont need to grab it as hard.
Dropper - I need something longer than 150mm to get it further down in the frame along with a better riding position.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
What I noticed that it allows me to do when riding up hill is to punch up over obstacles like roots and rocks that I couldn't before, particularly at the end of a ride. What I don't like though is the 25km/h cutout. When you hit that speed you feel it as this motor doesn't disengage properly and you end up pushing against it. It does become a bit awkward with jumps that I feel I need to be going faster than that for but that trade-off is worth it for me though. At this rate I am going to go through a lot of consumables a lot quicker than I normally would. Tyres, chains, pads, and need to watch for suspension servicing coming up a lot quicker than normal.
Depending on what motor system you run, a (good) shop should be able to help you out with some firmware updates and tuning.
Most of the manufacturers have been working on smoothing that 25kmh transition.

"Will Ride" are a dedicated eMTB store here in Adelaide who will even tune the torque curves for you to get the most efficiency out of your battery for your ride style. (They WON'T derestrict though which is FKN awesome of them)

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depending on what motor system you run, a (good) shop should be able to help you out with some firmware updates and tuning.
Most of the manufacturers have been working on smoothing that 25kmh transition.

"Will Ride" are a dedicated eMTB store here in Adelaide who will even tune the torque curves for you to get the most efficiency out of your battery for your ride style. (They WON'T derestrict though which is FKN awesome of them)
That sounds pretty interesting. Yeh I'm not interested in de-restricting at all.