All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Felt like I wasn't living dangerously enough so I bought these.

AU $41.40 27%OFF | Ultra-light MITO Mountain Bike Pedal Seal 3 Bearing Polished Hollow Non-slip Flat Feet Mtb Bicycle Pedals Riding Equipment Parts

View attachment 394801View attachment 394800View attachment 394799View attachment 394798
Swapped my plastic CB crank pedals out for these "Shan-T-Macs" today.

They work quite well, slipped one pedal in a rock garden but was a rubbish line I took.

I'm going to swap the outer pins for some long ones and see how they go.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
The 36mm ext, 30mm int CarbonBeam rim (120kg rider version) I built up was surprisingly well finished, and held up just fine to the trail riding I did on it. Honestly was somewhat amazed at how good it was for the price - to my untrained eye seemed as good or equal to a Light Bicycle or Nextie.

Hi. When you built up this wheel( 36mm ext, 30mm int CarbonBeam rim ) did you use the Zitto M1 hub?

The reason I ask is I am looking to build up Carbonbeam rim(34ext 28 int) with a Zitto M2 hub and I am trying to work out the length of spokes I need to build it up.

Did you just give Zitto the rims ERD to Zitto and use the spoke length they recomended.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi. When you built up this wheel( 36mm ext, 30mm int CarbonBeam rim ) did you use the Zitto M1 hub?

The reason I ask is I am looking to build up Carbonbeam rim(34ext 28 int) with a Zitto M2 hub and I am trying to work out the length of spokes I need to build it up.

Did you just give Zitto the rims ERD to Zitto and use the spoke length they recomended.
Yep I did. Take the the provided measurements from the hub (should be on the product page and look like attached pic for the M1 hubs), the ERD & offset for the rim, the length of nipple you plan to use, then plug them into https://spokecalc.io/ or https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/. It's almost worth waiting for the hubs/rims to arrive too so you can confirm erd/measurements, and make sure to select straight pull instead of J-bend when calculating (if that's what you have).

From memory I ended up with 299/300mm for a 36/30 CarbonBeam on ZTTO M1 for the front wheel (only did the one wheel). I also measured the hub myself when it arrived to confirm the provided measurements were accurate - from memory they were.

(Also, when buying the hubs if you haven't already, make sure to ask them to swap the 54t ratchet for a 36t. The higher tooth counts always strip eventually, if not immediately)

Attachments

Calvin27

Eats Squid
bought the qr version of this fork for a hack build (26/27.5 gravel rigid stuff around bike). Will report back in a month or two when it finally arrives from a hopsital bed or not...

$140 aud. Was tossing up gambling with the following:

- Toseek carbon for about $150. No one has said they have died on it yet (I guess they wouldbe dead so can't post...?). Common problem is the crown race won't go in and requires filing and the brake mounts are not aligned. I don't like stuffing with carbon.
- eXotic for about $280. Reputable fork, but on the heavy side for alu and this is meant to be a bottom of the barrel build.At that price might as well go manitou marvels for $300.
- Mosso alu here. $100. Cheap and the reviews suggest it is rough as guts. I can handle that, but the welded join compared to the kinesis

I know rookie aliexpress user here buying actual branded stuff, but trying to not lose teeth on a junker build!

Last edited:

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Yep I did. Take the the provided measurements from the hub (should be on the product page and look like attached pic for the M1 hubs), the ERD & offset for the rim, the length of nipple you plan to use, then plug them into https://spokecalc.io/ or https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/. It's almost worth waiting for the hubs/rims to arrive too so you can confirm erd/measurements, and make sure to select straight pull instead of J-bend when calculating (if that's what you have).

From memory I ended up with 299/300mm for a 36/30 CarbonBeam on ZTTO M1 for the front wheel (only did the one wheel). I also measured the hub myself when it arrived to confirm the provided measurements were accurate - from memory they were.

(Also, when buying the hubs if you haven't already, make sure to ask them to swap the 54t ratchet for a 36t. The higher tooth counts always strip eventually, if not immediately)
Thanks. Zitto are now giving a 2 year warranty on the ratchet hubs but still going with 36 T.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone have any thoughts on these? Looking to build up a second fairly heavy duty carbon wheelset, and wondering if I can get away with not shelling out for Nextie/LB or even more expensive again, We Are One's etc.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Anyone have any thoughts on these? Looking to build up a second fairly heavy duty carbon wheelset, and wondering if I can get away with not shelling out for Nextie/LB or even more expensive again, We Are One's etc.

I'd go with the second option with the thick bead hook walls

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
AU $7.38 40%OFF | ZTTO 4Pairs MTB Semi Metal BIke Brake Pads Quiet Ceramic For Bicycle Disc Brake M8020 M6100 mt200 Guide Code E9 DB ER MT6 MT4

I got the Shimano / TRP / other 4 pot version.

I've run them for a while now on my hardtail, which I've only been running a rear brake on. 90% single trail, nothing full on downhill, but some decent stops and a few wet rides thrown in too.

Excellent value for money, not noisy, stop well, bed in quickly and haven't disintegrated our blown up.
Yep I tried those Zitto pads do work well as you say but these work better they are full metal though.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Rolled the dice on a Chinese smart trainer.
Think rider X5 and separate adaptors currently shipped for $393 after promo discounts.
Promo ends in 1d 8hrs

Tested last year by GPLama and by all reports, new firmware has sorted the major issues

After a week of testing and a few sessions on zwift I've got no issues.
New firmware has added cadence and erg smoothing.

Came in the box with 142 and 148 axle spacers.

Worth a look for anyone who doesn't need an approved eSports approved trainer

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just need reliable Ali droppers...

From all reports the LTwoo road hydro groups are great.
You used to be able to get some of the KS levs under different names for almost half price in the early days, but some of the distributors must have got anal about it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Anyone had experience buyng off brand forks? This is a junker bike that I've resprayed and going to give to my old man. He's just going to potter around so doesn't need to be excellent. Something around the suntour XCM range should do fine, but I'm toying with the idea of some of the off brand bolany type forks. Main reason is they have alloy stantions - I hate rusty stantions of lower end forks!

Liek I said happy with some mediocre spring performance, maybe even stantion wear and all that but I draw the line at it being useless and falling apart. If they had an alloy stantion fork with coils I'd go for that but can't seem to find any. Thoughts?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Liek I said happy with some mediocre spring performance, maybe even stantion wear and all that but I draw the line at it being useless and falling apart. If they had an alloy stantion fork with coils I'd go for that but can't seem to find any. Thoughts?
Save potential pain and get these Markhor for a bit more. Mr Calvin27 senior will be happier for longer :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004327396504.html