All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Same :(
I bought 2 chains from an eBay seller. Both were reading .75 with a chain checker straight out of the packet. Of course I didn't realise this until many months later when I actually needed them.
The YBN chain from Ali that somebody linked not long ago was fine though.
I just put on a new ZTTO chain on the gravel bike, never ridden, and already reading .75. The chain came as part of those cassette + chain ring + chain bundle. Relatively cheap, so no complain on the price, but I wouldn't buy those chains outright for their price..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I just put on a new ZTTO chain on the gravel bike, never ridden, and already reading .75. The chain came as part of those cassette + chain ring + chain bundle. Relatively cheap, so no complain on the price, but I wouldn't buy those chains outright for their price..
Always remember rule #2 - Never buy chains from AliExpress, eBay, Amazon or similar sites :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Heh not these days when I can get sram chains for $19 :p
I have a bit of an experiment running with expensive(ish) chains and hot waxing.

Expensive for me anyway as I also ran 20 buck SRAM, KMC or Shimano.

The idea is they last 3-4 times as long, so buy a $90 chain and reduce they cycling wear on your drivetrain, also the slow stretch means an overlooked chain might get picked up before it does damage.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I have a bit of an experiment running with expensive(ish) chains and hot waxing.

Expensive for me anyway as I also ran 20 buck SRAM, KMC or Shimano.

The idea is they last 3-4 times as long, so buy a $90 chain and reduce they cycling wear on your drivetrain, also the slow stretch means an overlooked chain might get picked up before it does damage.
I've been using hot wax for a while now. I'm not convinced that they prolong the chain life, but it's certainly cheaper and more convenient than normal lubes. Gone are the days I spend 30 minutes after every ride cleaning and relubing chain, pain in the arse.

The ztto chain I put on is the 2nd one I used. The 1st one only lasted 2 months on my Rune with about 30-40km riding a week. I normally get chain lasting a year or so before replacing. I should've suspected they came already 0.75 worn.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Seems like aliexpress are having a sale tomorrow
"AliExpress: 20% Cashback on Affiliate Products ($15 Cap Per Member, 7pm-11pm AEST 30/06) @ Cashrewards"

Not sure how this works, but it seems to be popular with ozbargain members. Maybe someone here might be able to save a little.
See all the details at Ozbargain:
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/709599

Litenbror

Eats Squid
For the brave.. this seems possibly worth a shot.

If we are being honest I trust the carbon from these bigger manufacturers (at least as much as most major brands) but it's the outdated geo that kills the deal. Ican have the S3 but that's about $900US landed at the moment so no where near as good a deal as those two.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If we are being honest I trust the carbon from these bigger manufacturers (at least as much as most major brands) but it's the outdated geo that kills the deal. Ican have the S3 but that's about $900US landed at the moment so no where near as good a deal as those two.
The Carbonda FM936 is the same front triangle but with a flex-stay rear triangle. IMO, well worth getting instead (for the reduced weight/maintenance). Judging from pics, the carbon lay-up/frame finishing on the Carbonda appears tidier than the Ican. Oh, and Carbonda actually replied to my e-mails. :p

Litenbror

Eats Squid
The Carbonda FM936 is the same front triangle but with a flex-stay rear triangle. IMO, well worth getting instead (for the reduced weight/maintenance). Judging from pics, the carbon lay-up/frame finishing on the Carbonda appears tidier than the Ican. Oh, and Carbonda actually replied to my e-mails. :p
I can't get Ican to stop replying to emails :D had three from Perry yesterday!

I always get the Carbonda and Ican frames mixed up. I've been looking for a short travel light weight trail bike (not that I need it but that's besides the point) and the Carbonda is on top of the list.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I can't get Ican to stop replying to emails :D had three from Perry yesterday!

I always get the Carbonda and Ican frames mixed up. I've been looking for a short travel light weight trail bike (not that I need it but that's besides the point) and the Carbonda is on top of the list.
I need to threadlock the hardware because it works loose over time, but otherwise I've been really pleasantly surprised with my FM936. I've probably got a couple of hundred KM on it now and I really like it. Highly recommend overforking to a 120mm trail fork as the back end does a stellar job for 100mm of travel. A wimpy 100mm fork would limit the bike much more than the rear suspension.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want to buy one of the hardtail frames, but they all have ancient HTA. Anyone know of one in the <$500 range with a 67deg or slacker HTA?