All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

Flow-Rider

Burner
Last edited:

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Yep I bought them and now have tried them had to wait until bone had healed.

Emm yep a touch to much padding. The padding is similar to what is on the Leatt knee guards.

Quality is ok a good fit and a good glove for winter no good for summer. I'll use them for another couple of months until my hand fully heals then they will be my gardening gloves. The other Rockbros gloves with less padding might be OK but probably to hot for spring/summer here.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've ordered a few things today, will report back in 7 months when they arrive. Quite interested to see how the patterned frame protection stickers look, but for $7 who cares.
KMC 12 speed chains were $32 with free shipping, I'm going to have a crack at this waxing (chains) caper.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just be aware that Aliexpress, eBay and Amazon are the main places for fake chains.

I dont mind a bit of fakery but chains are not on that list.

KMC is the largest counterfeited chain about too.

Keep an eye on it.
Son of a bitch, I thought I was on to a good thing. Thanks for the heads up.
I paid with PayPal so if they are knock offs I'll be ok.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just checked my X10SL from ebay that I'm running on the Niner and the guide above says it's real*.... win

*or a really good fake
Keep G00Gl3333... there is a lot of stuff about the fake KMC chains.

That was just one from KMC, might be the counterfeiters are well on to that by now.

Its a personal choice but I don't take the chance anymore, though have done on a few occasions in the past up until a few years ago.

According the Mr Zero Friction, KMC chains wear so quickly that is not even worth hot waxing them... though who listens to one blokes opinion on the interwebz :D

iconic

Likes Dirt
I just bought some of that light blue rim tape from Ali and I'm not impressed, I don't think it will work as well as the bunnings blue bear tape. I just removed some from the roll, it seems way less sticky and doesn't stretch as much. It's going to be a prick to get it to conform to the rim profile and to remove the air bubbles.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003780542134.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802DKS644
I recently received these and have used them fine, tyres still hold air after a week or two

The trick I found was to pull the roll tight as wrapping the tape around the rim, don't worry about it not sticking down to the rim or the presence of air bubbles. When wrapping back to your starting point, the tape will stick to itself (ie the first part of the tape). I did two layers just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Keep G00Gl3333... there is a lot of stuff about the fake KMC chains.

That was just one from KMC, might be the counterfeiters are well on to that by now.

Its a personal choice but I don't take the chance anymore, though have done on a few occasions in the past up until a few years ago.

According the Mr Zero Friction, KMC chains wear so quickly that is not even worth hot waxing them... though who listens to one blokes opinion on the interwebz :D
Well... the last $33 eBay one lasted me a couple of years.... back when I actually rode so YMMV

ozzybmx

Well... the last $33 eBay one lasted me a couple of years.... back when I actually rode so YMMV
Longer than the real Shimano chain that came factory on my Spur, got 1500km out of it before a solid 0.75mm stretch.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I recently received these and have used them fine, tyres still hold air after a week or two

The trick I found was to pull the roll tight as wrapping the tape around the rim, don't worry about it not sticking down to the rim or the presence of air bubbles. When wrapping back to your starting point, the tape will stick to itself (ie the first part of the tape). I did two layers just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk
I removed about a foot off the roll and pulled on it to see how stretchy it was, and it didn't seem very sticky. The problem is when you need to remove a tyre it will most likely pull off the tape with it. It is so thick that it looks like it will need to be heated to form on the contour of the rim bed.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I removed about a foot off the roll and pulled on it to see how stretchy it was, and it didn't seem very sticky. The problem is when you need to remove a tyre it will most likely pull off the tape with it. It is so thick that it looks like it will need to be heated to form on the contour of the rim bed.
Hey mate.

I bought from the same seller.
After getting the first few cm to adhere, I was able to apply heaps of tension and stretch this tape into the rim bed.
It has stuck really well.

Not sure why you're finding that changing the tyre requires reapplication of rim tape.
Are you running tape that's too wide and actually climbing the bead hook walls?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hey mate.

I bought from the same seller.
After getting the first few cm to adhere, I was able to apply heaps of tension and stretch this tape into the rim bed.
It has stuck really well.

Not sure why you're finding that changing the tyre requires reapplication of rim tape.
Are you running tape that's too wide and actually climbing the bead hook walls?
The tape isn't going up the side walls, the sealant sticks the tape to the tyre and lifts the edges of the tape when I push the tyre to the centre of the rim.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ordered a bunch of things around 4 weeks ago which have started rocking up today. Figured this one might interest some people. I got the 45mm version (55mm still en route), $14 delivered, 92.7g (with own titanium bolts).

Do I trust the strength? Probably not, but it at least appears well designed and made to be honest.

Attachments

ozzybmx

Do I trust the strength? Probably not, but it at least appears well designed and made to be honest.
Those stems have came from China in many guises for quite a few years, under many different names, Wake, Ramp, dcove... even a couple branded Truvitiv.

I have run them on kids bikes when they were young, still reckon there may be one or 2 on XC HT bikes, my gravel bike runs 2 different ones, one painted and one plain.

I wouldn't like to be hurtling down a DH track with on on a regular basis with one fitted but I have probably had 8 of them over as many years and still have 4-5 (some look different) and all in 35mm length.

They are 100% soild with no issues, the cheap chromed screws rust but the stems work well.

One off my adventure bike painted, was Truvativ branded and under $10.

Last edited:

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Carbonbeam" rim arrived, built up last night & will go for a ride on it today. 30mm int 380g option (actual weight 371g), laced to ZTTO M1 hub, with Pillar triple-butted spokes & brass nipples. 715g without valve.

Built up nicely with even tension all round (122-125kgf NDS), no flaws in the layup that I can see & build quality seems very good. Will see how it goes I guess.

Attachments

Last edited:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
"Carbonbeam" rim arrived, built up last night & will go for a ride on it today. 30mm int 380g option (actual weighed 371g), laced to ZTTO M1 hub, with Pillar triple-butted spokes & brass nipples. 715g without valve.

Built up nicely with even tension all round (122-125kgf NDS), no flaws in the layup that I can see & build quality seems very good. Will see how it goes I guess.
Nice, stealth oven work.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
"Carbonbeam" rim arrived, built up last night & will go for a ride on it today. 30mm int 380g option (actual weight 371g), laced to ZTTO M1 hub, with Pillar triple-butted spokes & brass nipples. 715g without valve.

Pillars from Ali as well?

I've been very happy with mine