All my Aliexpress MTB purchases reviewed.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pillars from Ali as well?

I've been very happy with mine
Nah, already had some in the right length, bought from Dirt Works. If/when I do another wheel I might give Ali a go though.

First ride was without issue, made a point of poorer than usual line choice through rock gardens and they held up fine. Seems to be a noticeable difference in responsiveness with the lighter wheels, climbing/accelerating was definitely easier - couple of PRs up climbs without trying, though it had been a while since i'd ridden there too.

Edit: Second ride was Iron Tor (NW Tas), high speed, a few smaller rock gardens & drops/jumps. Yep, all okay so far.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Has anyone bought/tried LED lights from Ali for some night riding?
Can't be any more of a gamble than the solarstorm/magicshine light sets from ebay
Steer clear of anything Solarstorm, I have 4 in a drawer here, just complete shite.

Magicshine on the other hand are great lights. We have 4 x MJ900's and 1 x MJ906.

I run a 900 on my helmet and a 906 on the bars.

The seller no longer sells them, he was down to the last few when I bought mine.

100% genuine, all the right packaging, remotes, battery life and light output.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
@fjohn860 do you run it on your helmet or handlebars? Would you say it's more of a spotlight or has a good spread of light?
I have the Rockbros V9m-1000 that I purchased originally on my helmet still and the Gaciron 1260 on the bars.

The V9m-1000 is definitely more of a spotlight and the 1260 is more of a spread

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I have the Rockbros V9m-1000 that I purchased originally on my helmet still and the Gaciron 1260 on the bars.

The V9m-1000 is definitely more of a spotlight and the 1260 is more of a spread
Thanks! I've got one of the dreaded Solarstorm lights, it's ok for what little night riding I end up doing. My eyesight is not the best at night so any extra light is good. I might look into getting one of those Gaciron lights.

Sorry if I sounded like I was interrogating you!

ozzybmx

Thanks! I've got one of the dreaded Solarstorm lights, it's ok for what little night riding I end up doing.
Triple LED or double LED. There was a bloke who used to frequent here called Moorey, he swore by the double Solarstorms. The triple are rubbish.

Thought I had 4, its actually 3 and they never even seen darkness they were that bad. 300lm at best and crap beam spread.

@zooks there is a light megathread, all this info and more in there.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...ights-asked-and-answered-here.260166/page-107

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Triple LED or double LED. There was a bloke who used to frequent here called Moorey, he swore by the double Solarstorms. The triple are rubbish.

Thought I had 4, its actually 3 and they never even seen darkness they were that bad. 300lm at best and crap beam spread.

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...ights-asked-and-answered-here.260166/page-107

View attachment 389977
I grabbed one of each and can't tell the difference between 2 and 3 led. I can't justify spending too much on lights given how little I actually get out at night on the bike. If they turn out to be really shit I'll move on to the lights @fjohn860 mentioned and these can be relegated to commuter duties.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone bought/tried LED lights from Ali for some night riding?
Only tried 1 generic cheap one. USB powered dual LED 2200 lumen. Seemed as bright as advertised at the focused point, but the beam is very narrow and the light has a very blue/cold temperature whereas most of my other lights are neutral/white so I didn't end up using it.

As above, the Magicshine (900?) I have is very good, would recommend if you can get them. One thing to note is that for a bar light, the beam pattern is just as important (if not moreso) than the brightness, just something to keen in mind when looking.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt

View attachment 389977
There's a few different versions of these lights, while they all come in the same casing which must be a common extrusion there are different boards an emitters. I've got one set which has XML's in it which is quite good, and other Solarstorm one which is total rubbish.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Thanks! I've got one of the dreaded Solarstorm lights, it's ok for what little night riding I end up doing. My eyesight is not the best at night so any extra light is good. I might look into getting one of those Gaciron lights.

Sorry if I sounded like I was interrogating you!
View attachment 389976
No stress, all good!

Thanks guys! Are the mounts/brackets the lights come with all ok over rough terrain?
The helmet one I have is a gopro mount for the rockbros/gaciron lights and the bar mount one has stayed on so far (no major crashes though)

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just had my slowest ever delivery through Ali. 10 weeks for a roll of rim tape. I gave up and purchased some Spank tape after 6 weeks of waiting. Every other delivery has arrived inside a month.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just be aware that Aliexpress, eBay and Amazon are the main places for fake chains.

I dont mind a bit of fakery but chains are not on that list.

KMC is the largest counterfeited chain about too.

Keep an eye on it.
These arrived today, from everything I've read they are genuine or very good fakes.
Packaging checks out, instructions in a sealed bag and not gibberish and has the offset intent things.
Time will tell I suppose.

ozzybmx

These arrived today, from everything I've read they are genuine or very good fakes.
Packaging checks out, instructions in a sealed bag and not gibberish and has the offset intent things.
Time will tell I suppose.
Good to hear ! Keep an eye on the km's and let us know.

I'm having a bit of an experiment myself with the YBN chains, got all the starting kms wrote on the garage whiteboard where we keep track of suspension servicing, chain change dates, suspension pressures and now chain change distance.

Will be interesting to see whether the extra $$$ was worth the outlay.