All Mountain Tyres

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Thread dig, trying to find a 26” tyre, anyone used a Hans Dampf on the rear. Is it super slow? Currently have a Rocket Ron on the rear has been good and fast rolling but nowhere has stock currently.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Thread dig, trying to find a 26” tyre, anyone used a Hans Dampf on the rear. Is it super slow? Currently have a Rocket Ron on the rear has been good and fast rolling but nowhere has stock currently.
Well, it’s certainly slower and heavier than the Rocket Ron. What bike / riding? If mostly dry conditions xc then look elsewhere for a rear tyre.

shiny

Well, it’s certainly slower and heavier than the Rocket Ron. What bike / riding? If mostly dry conditions xc then look elsewhere for a rear tyre.
Hmmm...thought so, might have to make some stock alerts and keep the current tyre going. Riding a Mojo SLR. Trails mix of rolling up and down, some tech/rocks etc but I like the faster rolling rear as lots of climbing on each loop I do.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
The Ikon mentioned below would be mint. I've run a HD on the back before and it was great for intended us (Enduro Race). I wouldn't run one on the back unless I was riding a lot of "full on" stuff.

moorey

call me Mia
Some TR Maxxis 26 back in stock at TBE if that’s of any interest.

shiny

Thanks all. Bike Bug has some Maxxis as well. 26 getting trickier to find tyres for. Might eek some more life out of the current tyre and service the shock and then grab some fresh rubber.

ausdb

Being who he is
On the subject of flatting and 26 tyres, the boy has just learnt he can ride down stairs....
I haven't gone tubeless yet as I'm waiting for him to wear the old ignitor out, but two tubes in two days with snakebites is wearing thin.
Bike is a 26 hardtail, rims are old Crossmax SL so easy tubeless but narrow. Currently got a high roller 2 on the front. He's mainly riding round the streets with his mates but when we go off road it's WA pea gravel loose over hard in the main
Is there a magical unicorn tyre suitable for a rear in this application?

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
On the subject of flatting and 26 tyres, the boy has just learnt he can ride down stairs....
I haven't gone tubeless yet as I'm waiting for him to wear the old ignitor out, but two tubes in two days with snakebites is wearing thin.
Bike is a 26 hardtail, rims are old Crossmax SL so easy tubeless but narrow. Currently got a high roller 2 on the front. He's mainly riding round the streets with his mates but when we go off road it's WA pea gravel loose over hard in the main
Is there a magical unicorn tyre suitable for a rear in this application?
The Super Gravity Hans Dampf BikeBug is selling is a strong tyre. I also used a HR2 and Hans Dampf when I lived in WA and The Camel Farm was my regular stomping ground. Also, he probably needs to pump the tyres up when using them in an urban setting. I commuted for over three months and hit two large stair sets every morning on my way to work. I run Holy Rollers in 2.4/2.25" at 60/65psi for that bike. Those tyres have also gone around the Camel Farm multiple times on my geared P3 in both summer and winter...

moorey

call me Mia
My boy is fond of jumping down and also trying to smash his way up stairs..
35 psi in the rear solved the snake bite problems.. After destroying 2 tyres..
Yep. Tubeless, strong casing and more air needed for that job. Or at least proper DH tube. Stairs will kill tubes in a second if not well inflated.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
35psi?

100psi on the bmx, dirt jump bike 65psi.

The harder you get those tyres the faster you roll and the less damage you do to rims.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I ended up grabbing a Dissector 2.4 exo to replace the Hans Dampf snakeskin which lasted well for over 12 months.

The Dissector (915g=ish I think) is around 75g heavier than the HD was, but around the same weight as the lighter current model HD.

The side knobs with the softer compound are certainly mushy, to the point of losing a bit of support possibly. Will be interesting to see how it rides in terms of rolling speed (I generally ride to the trails also) and cornering support.