All Mountain Tyres

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I need a 2.4-2.5 26" front that works on loose over hard (Perth and its shitty pea gravel). It needs to be tubeless or convert to tubeless easily. I was thinking the folding 2.4" HR2 or even and On-One Chunky Monkey might fit the bill. Terrain can be harsh at times and I don't mind going through rocks.

I'd look at pairing it with the 2.25" Ardent out back or moving the 2.3" HR2 to the back. Grip over rolling resistance at this time, don't want to go to wire DH tyres.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I need a 2.4-2.5 26" front that works on loose over hard (Perth and its shitty pea gravel). It needs to be tubeless or convert to tubeless easily. I was thinking the folding 2.4" HR2 or even and On-One Chunky Monkey might fit the bill. Terrain can be harsh at times and I don't mind going through rocks.

I'd look at pairing it with the 2.25" Ardent out back or moving the 2.3" HR2 to the back. Grip over rolling resistance at this time, don't want to go to wire DH tyres.
HR2 is worth a go, I love mine up front paired with a 2.4 Ardent down back (used to run 2.25 which was fine too).

Pretty happy I don't have to deal with the pea gravel though. I remember it being a very difficult surface to deal with in the World Rally Championship.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Griffin is another great choice but once again blows up small for 2.3.
liking an Ardent Race 2.3 on the rear.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Bit slimmer and rounder than I'd normally go for, but performance is amazing.
Seconded. Call it the minion trail. A little slower rolling on the rear than an xc tire or semi slick but great cornering, climbing, braking grip.

Fantastic match for a dhf front on a trail/enduro bike.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt

Magic Mary is the best I've found for those conditions up front

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Seconded. Call it the minion trail. A little slower rolling on the rear than an xc tire or semi slick but great cornering, climbing, braking grip.

Fantastic match for a dhf front on a trail/enduro bike.
So... you just described the aggressor? but, perhaps you want it in a 2.4?

I must be one of the few who like aggressor in the 2.3 size, on a 29mm internal rim, its not small nor is it large, you can run pressures low enough, without squirm. As an all rounder for the rear its about the perfect tyre for someone who likes XC>trail>AM style riding in a variety of conditions.

I've got about 20 tyres hanging up in the garage, but the aggressor has been the only constant tyre on the bike the last 6 months.

BT180

Max Pfaff
+1 Aggressor on the rear for me. 2.3 with the DD casing. Great all around performer that handles jumps, drops and high speed rock gardens without fuss. I have tubes (I know! I must get around to going tubless!) and run it at around 22/23psi on a 25mm internal rim. Never had a flat and you can see by the sidewalls, I ride in a rocky area. Great match with a HR2 up front IMO.

AggressorDD.jpg

Nautonier

Eats Squid
+1 Aggressor on the rear for me. 2.3 with the DD casing. Great all around performer that handles jumps, drops and high speed rock gardens without fuss. I have tubes (I know! I must get around to going tubless!) and run it at around 22/23psi on a 25mm internal rim. Never had a flat and you can see by the sidewalls, I ride in a rocky area. Great match with a HR2 up front IMO.

View attachment 335993
+2 for the Aggressor, don't know how you get away with 22/23psi and running tubes. I destroyed an Aggressor Exo and then a DD running 23psi and tubeless on a 30mm internal rim. Love the tyre, just wish it also came in a DH casing for those times when you need that little bit more strength. I've gone to a DHR2 and I really notice how much slower rolling it is. Grip wise, the tread on the Aggressor was absolutely brilliant, I wouldn't say the DHR had better grip.

The other massive plus with the Aggressor is the hard rubber in the centre knobs, which means they last for ages. A couple of rides on a DHR with the soft centre knobs and you can already see the carnage...

BT180

Max Pfaff
+2 for the Aggressor, don't know how you get away with 22/23psi and running tubes.
Forgot to mention I also run a Maxxis Freeride tube, so that may have something to do with it. But yeah, definitely tubeless is on the cards for me at some stage.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I've been riding Derby / Hollybank / Trevallyn with Aggressor + HR2 combo.
Soo much grip, at any speed, at any angle.

But, how many 'burners have tried the Aggressor on the front?
I'm thinking I might try Aggressor front & rear next....

dunndog

Eats Squid

Yeah, we have gone over that a few pages back. It's only available in single compound, and makes a great rear tyre for anything up to proper dh or anything too wet.. but I reckon it's not quite trustworthy enough to have up front until it comes in a 3C compound.. a
I Ve switched between aggro and dhr2 a few times, I honestly notice little difference in them unless it gets greasy or proper steep, then the dhr2 seems to offer more. Otherwise I think the aggro has it slightly in terms of rolling efficiency. As others have said, paired with a hr2 front it's a great combo.

dunndog

Eats Squid

Yeah, we have gone over that a few pages back. It's only available in single compound, and makes a great rear tyre for anything up to proper dh or anything too wet.. but I reckon it's not quite trustworthy enough to have up front until it comes in a 3C compound.. a
I Ve switched between aggro and dhr2 a few times, I honestly notice little difference in them unless it gets greasy or proper steep, then the dhr2 seems to offer more. Otherwise I think the aggro has it slightly in terms of rolling efficiency. As others have said, paired with a hr2 front it's a great combo.