All Mountain Tyres

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Sparse in 29 DH casing and required compound, even 27.5.

DH supersoft would be great for raceday or a epic trip but be dammed if I'm scuffing around the local hills on a $130 supersoft rear Kryptotal.
Exactly. I would do enduro casing in soft but thats hard to find as well. Particularly for front

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Exactly. I would do enduro casing in soft but thats hard to find as well. Particularly for front
I was looking 29 DH SS Argotal for the front and 27.5 DH S Kryptotal for the rear, found the rear then it disappeared too. Oh well, in a few months maybe. Grabbed enduro casing Mazzas instead.

moorey

call me Mia
And barely 15, 50kg Quinn slashed one second run at Narby DH track practice. My bad. Was too busy to fit her DH casing, but still.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Have been riding bontrager xr5 2.6 for a while now on the slash , in between other bikes , and every ride I`m trying to pinpoint exactly what it is that I feel with them . Is 2.6 too wide a tire ? Rims internal 29 ( line comp 30 ) .I know its a big travel bike but for the life of me the climbs and flat sections of trail feel like I`m pedaling in sand if that makes sense . Going down is not an issue . Run 18 and 24 psi , 75kg kitted and bikes suspension dialled . I don`t class the tread as overly aggressive and I never had that feeling on the 27.5 on the mondraker with dhr/f - slash is more travel than the foxy . Tire weight does not help at roughly 1045 which is my next beef . Looking at other manufacturers 1045 is a baby .
Anyway , I`m thinking of going back to 2.3/4 tires at the very least on the rear . Has anyone gone back from 2.6 because of that vague feeling with any 2.6 tire ? Or have you had the vague feeling with one and tried other brands 2.6 and found it better ?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Anyway , I`m thinking of going back to 2.3/4 tires at the very least on the rear . Has anyone gone back from 2.6 because of that vague feeling with any 2.6 tire ?
Yep, 2.5" is the maximum I'd run on the front but I prefer a 2.4", 2.4" on the back is the maximum for me too.

The Bonty XR casings are very light, and can feel nervous accordingly IMO. The sidewalls offer little support and at very lower pressures like you're running the front will likely be rolling around quite a bit and leading to a feeling of squirming/vagueness.

With larger tyre volumes like a 2.6", they are very fussy about tyre pressure too (@Mattyp). Too low and they roll around a lot, too high and they tend to bounce off things as they're like an undamped spring. Unfortunately the difference between the two might only be 2psi. This is exaggerated by lighter tyre casings, as there's no "mechanical" support from a burlier sidewall.

IMO - I prefer wider rims (like a 35mm internal width) for 2.5/2.6" tyres, as it stops the tyre wanting to roll under while cornering so much - but ultimately think a better compromise all round is with 2.4's on 29/30mm IW rims (I could seed 2.5's working better with thicker casings, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for). 2.4's just feel a bit more precise and controlled (again, IMO), and a bit easier to find your "goldilocks" pressures.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Yep, 2.5" is the maximum I'd run on the front but I prefer a 2.4", 2.4" on the back is the maximum for me too.

The Bonty XR casings are very light, and can feel nervous accordingly IMO. The sidewalls offer little support and at very lower pressures like you're running the front will likely be rolling around quite a bit and leading to a feeling of squirming/vagueness.

With larger tyre volumes like a 2.6", they are very fussy about tyre pressure too (@Mattyp). Too low and they roll around a lot, too high and they tend to bounce off things as they're like an undamped spring. Unfortunately the difference between the two might only be 2psi. This is exaggerated by lighter tyre casings, as there's no "mechanical" support from a burlier sidewall.

IMO - I prefer wider rims (like a 35mm internal width) for 2.5/2.6" tyres, as it stops the tyre wanting to roll under while cornering so much - but ultimately think a better compromise all round is with 2.4's on 29/30mm IW rims (I could seed 2.5's working better with thicker casings, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for). 2.4's just feel a bit more precise and controlled (again, IMO), and a bit easier to find your "goldilocks" pressures.
Makes sense what you say . I`d not thought about them being a light casing though but sounds like you know them so thats good info . I do get some bounce from them although its minimal . I`m definitely not getting any squirm or roll under feeling . Perhaps this is a better description - its the feeling you get when you`ve had a long day in the saddle and it feels as though you`re riding in quicksand - the flats and climbs are slower and you`re begging for the downs - only its just the start of the ride . Dr google leads me to the rabbit warren on MTBR forums , amongst others , where others have had these feelings and others don`t . Perhaps a thicker casing fixes all issues but not looking to add further rotational weight - in fact less . I think you`ve hit the nail on the head though with " precise and controlled " Previous 27.5 AM bike I loved the trail feedback that was coming through the tyres on all trail features up , straight and down and that was with 2.4 on IW 29 . So thank you I`ll dig through the tire tub and see what catches my eye .

MarioM

Likes Dirt
The XR5 is quite a supple casing so perhaps at 2.6, it feels a bit vague?
Indeed it is and a contributing factor I think . Tires off and actual weight each is 1.11 kg . Tire tub produced a new 2.35 nobby nic at 860 for the rear and a forgot I even had slightly used 2.35 michelin wild am at 920 for the front . Bitches to mount too on the line comp wheels .

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bitches to mount too on the line comp wheels .
Because of the Bonty plastic rim strip. Its great for tubeless and does an awesome job instead of taping but it makes fitting a tyre really hard.

Don't even think about trying to mount a Conti on them.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Because of the Bonty plastic rim strip. Its great for tubeless and does an awesome job instead of taping but it makes fitting a tyre really hard.

Don't even think about trying to mount a Conti on them.
Didn`t even think about them as I cursed and stomped my feet while the dogs ran for cover . By far the worst to mount I`ve had were the hutchinsons that are on the XC bikes . All of these will be ridden until they`re so bald it`ll be dangerous and then just cut them off . By that stage there should be machines that will just retread to your fancy .