Aldi bike stuff

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I grabbed a pair of the XL bike shorts. I think they say 97cm waist = 38in.
I am a 38" in Troy Lee gear, these were on the small side IMO, more like a 36" to me.

got the wool arm and leg warmers in a medium. good snug fit. Large seemed a bit 'comfy' for arm warmers, but I don't have humungous arms either. Trying on recommended.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I'm gonna pop my Aldi cherry today and check out the bike gear. But while I'm there, what's their alcohol like? Seems too cheap to be any good.
A bus stop near my place recently was running an ad for Aldi grog. It was a plain red background, with big lettering - "Aldi Alcohol. Don't knock it until you've tried it". No, I'm not making this up.

So read into that what you will!

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I've grabbed a set of the lights.

I got a set last time they did some similar and they were as far as I can tell identical to the Lezyne ones (macro/micro) They still work faultlessly, and have done a lot of wet rides, which is more than I can say for the 3 month old Exposure Trace-R that failed and has been sent back for warranty yesterday.

These ones seem ok (not sure if they are the same or similar to any others yet) They are on charge now and I will test them in the morning and report back!

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Just went for a lap around Bruce in my new Aldi (100%) merino top, yep bargain for $35, got 2 for my lady as well. Collar is higher than usual and I now have 5 blue cycling tops so would have appreciated a colour option..

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So my debut at Aldi was a bit mixed. The shorts looked awesome but I needed size L and there were only size S left by the time I got there :( I tried the light in the shop and it had a very bright central spot so passed on that. Grabbed some knee warmers which were very generously sized, I settled on size S which is ridiculous as I'm normally a M/L in that sort of stuff, but for $12 for Merino I'm happy, they're quite long with a reasonable gripper. The jerseys looked OK but not my style. The rest of the gear looked pretty below average.

For me the shorts were the standout item but I'll have to be there at opening time next time around if I want some. How often do they stock them?

Last edited:

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
So my debut at Aldi was a bit mixed. The shorts looked awesome but I needed size L and there were only size S left by the time I got there :( I tried the light in the shop and it had a very bright central spot so passed on that. Grabbed some knee warmers which were very generously sized, I settled on size S which is ridiculous as I'm normally a M/L in that sort of stuff, but for $12 for Merino I'm happy, they're quite long with a reasonable gripper. The jerseys looked OK but not my style. The rest of the gear looked pretty below average.

For me the shorts were the standout item but I'll have to be there at opening time next time around if I want some. How often do they stock them?
Slippy there was plenty of stock at my local, want me to grab you a pair tomorrow?

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
Have an Aldi bike stand, can't fault it. I've never used one in all my years of owning bikes but the bike stays still, the jaws are well protected and its a shit load better than working on an upside bike

davo231481

Likes Bikes
For 29$ the lights are good. I'm impressed by the light output but have yet to try them on the bike. Just been shining the light out in backyard. If not suitable for trails it will at least be a definite extra on my next camping trip.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
For 29$ the lights are good. I'm impressed by the light output but have yet to try them on the bike. Just been shining the light out in backyard. If not suitable for trails it will at least be a definite extra on my next camping trip.
Got a couple of the cree torches for the kids camping, had to confiscate them, they're fuck off bright, were burning each other's retinas out.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I agree the lights are very very bright. I've also just been out in the garden doing some comparisons against a few other lights / torches including my 700 lumen Zebralight torch and it matches it easily!

Will compare it to my L+M Seca 2000 tomorrow.

I think the range will be better on the Aldi light, but the spread and beam pattern will be better on the L+M Seca

I do wonder about how waterproof the rear one will be... Time will tell.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Slippy there was plenty of stock at my local, want me to grab you a pair tomorrow?
Now that is an exceptionally awesome offer. PM sent.

I also discovered that Aldi don't do alcohol in SA yet. Oh well, we make the best beer and wines in the country anyway, so I'll have to make do...

OTH Dave

Likes Bikes
I bought a set of the lights today and they are heaps bright enough for commuting and probably ok for MTB trails at the speed I go.
Only problem was the the handle bar mount saddle for the light was at 90 Deg to where it should be so I had great side vision.
Couldn't see how it could be twisted so will check others tomorrow if any left and swap it over.
might get a second set also especially at that price.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I picked up a pair of shorts and the light set.

The light set has exceeded my expectations so far, includes 3 different mounts including helmet and is bloody bright.
I set it up on the bike and took it for a ride, so bright I found myself pointing it right down so as not to blind cars lol. Would make a great cheap trail light.
Will have to see how good the battery life really is over time.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Did a longish ride this morning with the Aldi lights.

Front one on full power.

Turned on at 430am
on/off button illuminated red after about 70minutes.
However it's still running now and its 710am (and its still too bright to look at)
Will update when it dies ** Update its died. **
3hrs run time

Beam is easily sufficient to ride with at speed on the road. As expected its quite a long spot beam as opposed to a flood but its plenty good enough for the price!

I also bought a set of the 10$ riding glasses. They are really comfortable!

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took on a pair of the large shorts. The liner will be going to the bin, not my type of fit & I tend to use bibs. Quite happy with just the over shorts for $29....

If anyone wants the liner new with tags for the cost of postage pm me. Deal is being done on the liners....

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Took on a pair of the large shorts. The liner will be going to the bin, not my type of fit & I tend to use bibs. Quite happy with just the over shorts for $29....

If anyone wants the liner new with tags for the cost of postage pm me.
I like the last shorts they had but these ones didn't look like they would stretch the way I like. I did think the liners may have been better though. If you like I could buy a pair and post you the shorts and you can post me your liners if they're large.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like the last shorts they had but these ones didn't look like they would stretch the way I like. I did think the liners may have been better though. If you like I could buy a pair and post you the shorts and you can post me your liners if they're large.
Deal done.

Pm your address and I will respond with mine.