Alcopops price to drop after tax defeat

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25206278-421,00.html
Alcopops price to drop after tax defeat

PRE-MIXED drinks will be cheaper within weeks after the Rudd Government's alcopops tax was defeated today.
The legislation was defeated 32 votes to 31 votes with Senator Steve Fielding voting with the Opposition.

The Family First leader held the balance of power after the Greens and independent Nick Xenophon sided with the Government.

Senator Fielding refused to back the 70 per cent tax hike on ready-to-drink alcoholic beverages because the Government wouldn't ban liquor advertising on television during daytime sporting broadcasts.

The Commonwealth has collected about $290 million from the tax since it was introduced by regulation in April last year. The Government expected the anti-binge drinking measure to raise $1.6 billion over four years.

The health minister's parliamentary secretary, Jan McLucas, said the defeat of the Bill was a very sad day for the health outcomes of all Australians, but particularly teenagers.
Well well.....

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Let's celebrate?

Seriously though, right idea perhaps, but shit way to go about it. Score $2 billion in revenue/year and then tack on a few million to the bill for shitty "community programs" to swing independents is, exactly as Fielding says, "a joke".

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
WOOOOOOH, spending my 900 buckaroos from uncle rud on some J and coke, i love that shit, but its so got damn exspensive

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
I was struggling to write my thoughts in a way that was actually comprehensible :eek:
Yah, thought so there, seeing as it wasn't really a serious comment. Still, hopefully things'll be cheaper, $50 says they won't go all the way back down, everyone's used to it now.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
Alcopops tax break a 'sad day'

PUBLIC health groups say it is a "sad day" for Australia that the tax hike on alcopops has been voted down. The federal government must do more to promote a safe drinking culture, groups say.

"This is a very sad day for the health of many Australians,'' said Alcohol Policy Coalition member Michael Livingston. Geoff Munro from the Australian Drug Foundation said those who voted down the tax, namely the Liberals, Nationals and Family First Senator Steve Fielding, had failed young Australians.

"The Senators who voted against the tax have voted for cheap alcopops, the favourite drink of under-aged drinkers,'' Mr Munro said. Greens Senator Rachel Siewert said it was a pity the changes to the alcopops bill, including an extra $50 million on health education, had been lost amid the Senate "shenanigans''. The Greens would negotiate for the best outcome when the bill returned to the Senate, as she thought it would. The Distilled Spirits Industry Council praised Senator Fielding for his opposition to the tax hike.

"Senator Fielding demonstrated a sensible, practical approach to alcohol policy-making in this country by voting down a measure that was flawed from the outset,'' said council information manager Stephen Riden.
The council called for all parties to work together on ways to tackle binge drinking.
I agree with this, but applying tax to premixed drinks was never the way to do it. Just last week I was at a party, and noted a number of people who had opted by buy a straight bottle of vodka & mix it with whatever soft-drink they could find, instead of paying for a six-pack of mixed. Of course they're going to go for the cheaper option.....

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have to say nothing is going to stop teen drinking/binging/what ever their trying to stop. Ban/tax something we'll just drink something else. Or just go to drugs.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
......Or just go to drugs.
This is very true a lot of my friends turned to pot when they couldn't afford drinks any more. It's like at our school disco breath testing does shit all because we all go out and get high or pop a pill or two

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have to say nothing is going to stop teen drinking/binging/what ever their trying to stop. Ban/tax something we'll just drink something else. Or just go to drugs.
teens who binge drink dont drink alcopops though they are the ones downing goon and beer, they drink for the sake of drinking so they get whatevers cheap, the alcopop tax was always wrong because its on the wrong product to stop binge drinking anyway

how the hell do they afford pot but not be able to afford booze? sounds like they just want pot instead