Airtags and GPS bike tracking

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heya Team,
Just bought some Apple AirTags and installed them on my partners Meta AM and my Sworks Enduro. So far I'm really impressed with them, small and easy to hide but seem to get picked up a lot by random passing Iphones/apple devices.

I've been working on my own GPS tracking business for pets and bikes, but I think these airtags are a solid option for a lot of people.
Yes, they can be detected and removed, but its better then nothing. And with the price of bikes (and Ebikes) seems like a simple and cheap way to give yourself a chance of getting your bike back .

Peace out.
Ben

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
if I knew how to insert GIFS to the forum I’d use that really really unimpressed kid blinking slowly right now. You know the one.
Actually I don’t, @moorey’s the GIF guy.

But I get the jist…

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
What's the go with these tags? Are they an NFC thing that relies on other nearby devices to pick them up and send data through? They seem wayyyyyy too small to be an actual tracking device

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As I said, less clean install on the enduro, and will have to see if the tape I wrapped it in, and then the silicone I glued to it will hold up to all the mud and water it’s going to see, but it was the most hidden spot I could find.

I haven’t tried the reception inside the frame yet, I’ve got a spare I’ll run some tests on :)

Minlak

custom titis
What's the go with these tags? Are they an NFC thing that relies on other nearby devices to pick them up and send data through? They seem wayyyyyy too small to be an actual tracking device

The Apple ones as long as they have battery life will connect to any Apple device that has the communication open for the tag to talk to it - You will then get data back when you track it - So it relies on other apple peeps to get it tracked. Surprisingly works well as most people don't turn of the tracking options.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Yep, they use apple products (iPhones, iPads) to detect them and then use the location of the iphone to show the tag location. Exactly the same as a Tile, but instead of 1 in 10,000 phones having the tile app installed, this use every iPhone running the latest OS.