Advice on F/S XC bike

Slowman

Likes Dirt
With DW link you don't need no brain! I rode an S-Works Stumpy FSR (as well as an Epic for racing but I found it pretty stiff first hit!) and while it was good, the DW, VPP2 and Maestro suspension systems have a natural anti-squat action. I'd say the DW link is the best of them but Pivot and Ibis are probably out of your budget leaving a Giant Anthem. Plenty of friends have had them and gone OK on them. They all take square edge hits better too with the rearward movement of the rear wheel at the beginning of the travel. That said, I rode 4 bar/Horst link for years and went ok... Polygon are another budget brand that make great value bikes.

sinkas

Likes Bikes
cheers or the tips,
I " started" back on a xc race 2 week ago,
on my Giant hardtail, which went "OK"
I have ridden few fs bikes,
and TBH I find all the big wheel bikes feel like boats, while my 26"er seem very comfortable
I will continue lookin'

Slowman

Likes Dirt
cheers or the tips,
I " started" back on a xc race 2 week ago,
on my Giant hardtail, which went "OK"
I have ridden few fs bikes,
and TBH I find all the big wheel bikes feel like boats, while my 26"er seem very comfortable
I will continue lookin'
You should test ride 29ers, the secret to snappy manoeurverability is short chainstays, my Pivot 429C handles as well as my 650B Santa Cruz XCc Blur (converted from 26" wheels). 650B (27.5) have the benefits of better rollover but still being light and of course handle well, might be a good compromise. Though, as I said some 29ers are designed to handle very well these days.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cheers or the tips,
TBH I find all the big wheel bikes feel like boats
I had the same feeling on the first 29er I rode (my current 2013 Merida hardtail) but it went away and recently rode a few FS Trail 29er's and the only boaty one was the Whyte S150 which was a Large and just a bit too big for me. If you're used to 26" it will take some time to adjust to 29"