A Hack for removing bearings.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
You might know this but its new to me .
I was redoing my wifes SC 5010 pivots and thought I would need a special tool to get out the bearings which are wobbly .
The tools made in England looked like something familiar with the expanding collar so I looked on youtube .
Turns out a dynabolt / expanding concrete bolt just slightly smaller than the inner diameter of the race in this case < 10mm works OK , tighten it up and tap from the other side with a punch.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Cross fingers that the outer ring comes out with it too. The special tool doesn't guarantee it either.
I have the one made in the UK if you get stuck and will pop it in the post if you need to borrow it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hadn't thought of that before, neat trick.

Cleanskin make rebrand a decent slidehammer/collet blind bearing removal kit. https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/blind-bearing-puller-and-slide-hammer-9-piece-set-8mm-to-32mm
The same kit is on ebay for $10 more than the one I posted above.

Still $35 cheaper than the Cleanskin.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Cross fingers that the outer ring comes out with it too. The special tool doesn't guarantee it either.
I have the one made in the UK if you get stuck and will pop it in the post if you need to borrow it.
Thanks but yeah the whole lot came out in one piece OK x4 it works well.++
I think the go is a dynabolt that is just smaller than the inner diameter so it doesnt need much tightening.
I am quite impressed with anything Santa Cruz , we have 3 ,despite its appeal being a boutique brand to dentists and billionaires.
The concept of cone shaped washers in the pivots which can be tightened , open bearings facing inwards and 2 grease nipples in the link , the quality of the designs and the welds.
So the bearings have lasted 8 years , were well greased but wearing out.
Said before that I bought a Superlight cheap, that had dented chainstays I was intending to buy a replacement but for 10 years they have been fine .

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Do you have new bearings ? I still have about 2-3 full sets here for a Hightower LT. Not sure how they would cross over to a 5010.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I don’t think I could use such wizardry. I prefer to just flog out frame bearings and selling the bike without disclosing it.
If it 'really' needs doing then we all grab the biggest hammer on hand and a steel rod and gently belt the living daylights out of it.
Also, if you don't check that you need new bearings then you don't have to replace them.