A Coil shock question

Hoffa02

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

This question has plagued me for sometime.

An Air shock or Fork, I know its generally better to have some travel left in reserve for those oh sh*t moments and you can tune the spring accordingly
A Coil shock - as it is linear, do coil shocks use the majority of travel all of the time (the bottom out bumper at the bottom of the shock shaft) regardless of how stiff the spring is (within reason)?, or should it typically operate like an air shock with the bumper just above the bottom.

I ask this as my coil shock uses all of the travel on trails (flow, rock gardens etc) but no harsh bottom out on drops. Just trying to asses whether I do need a stiffer spring or is this just normal for coil shock due to the linear nature of the coil.

Thanks in advance

clockworked

Like an orange
Whats your sag like? If its more than 25% you're approaching DH bike levels. Over 30% is almost always a good time to increase the spring weight.

Your frame kinematics might also not suit a coil. Whats it on?

goobags

Likes Dirt
Depending on the shock, it may bottom out differently as well - even the length of the bump stop would change the feel.

If I had to let something bottom out, it would be the shock. Nothing worse than bottom out a fork, coil or air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not familiar with the suspension kinematics of a Transition Patrol, but it may not be suited to a coil shock.

I had the exact same shock on a Specialized Enduro and an Evil Insurgent.

The Specialized has a regressive suspension curve, and even correct sag and max compression damping it would bottom out all the time. It just didn't play well with the linear nature of a coil shock.

By contrast, the Evil has a progressive suspension curve which better suits the coil. Same shock. Similar leverage ratio. Same weight spring. Way less compression damping but only occasionally bottoms out on bigger hits.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sag is at 25% and on a transition patrol. Using a progressive spring at the moment to compensate.
Sounds like a V1 Patrol - Have you looked at the Cascade Components links? Might gain you the extra progression you're looking for... Quite a bit of info/tuning suggestions on MTB_Telly's channel on youtube.

Hoffa02

Likes Bikes
I'm not familiar with the suspension kinematics of a Transition Patrol, but it may not be suited to a coil shock.

I had the exact same shock on a Specialized Enduro and an Evil Insurgent.

The Specialized has a regressive suspension curve, and even correct sag and max compression damping it would bottom out all the time. It just didn't play well with the linear nature of a coil shock.

By contrast, the Evil has a progressive suspension curve which better suits the coil. Same shock. Similar leverage ratio. Same weight spring. Way less compression damping but only occasionally bottoms out on bigger hits.
Yeah the patrol is 11% progression, so not hugely progressive but supposedly plays nice with a coil. Just upped the spring rate and seems to be okay. Mush more support. Did bottom out on big drops but i guess it’s always a compromise.

Hoffa02

Likes Bikes
Sounds like a V1 Patrol - Have you looked at the Cascade Components links? Might gain you the extra progression you're looking for... Quite a bit of info/tuning suggestions on MTB_Telly's channel on youtube.
Thanks - yeah I have seen MTB Telly’s review on the cascade link. Just upped the spring rate and if that doesn’t work out, will definitely check out the cascade link
Cheers