A Clever hack I had not seen before.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
We were riding the Cascade trail on the weekend and one of our riders suffered a broken rear derailleur cable towards the end ,leaving her stuck in the default highest gear.
Someone came along , pulled out a short piece of the top end of a cable with the " nub " that fits into the shifter .
He fed the cable thru the last cable stop at the top of the derailleur,the nub jammed at the stop , pulled the chain onto a middle cluster sprocket and tightened the derailleur clamp on the cable.
Voila.
If my explanation is not clear , I can clarify.
Its a quicker better alternative to screwing the high limit screw in for miles, to get the chain to stay in a low gear.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s only happened to me when I was 200m for the car. Good to know as it would not have occurred to me.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nifty, can be done using the outer cable socket on the derailleur if the frame doesn't have any cable stops.
The current Norco Storm with Deore 11spd come packed with this holding the derailleur on one of the lowest gears

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Thanks! I wouldn't have known what to GooGle for there. I'll bookmark that so I can quickly retrieve on the trails.
ingore them, ScoMo has already told us to do our googling on BING - they must be lefty leaning vegan types/communists who ignore authority -just go with the Liberals on things like a rape allegation, and I quote the home aff. minister -we don't get into a he said she said on such matters