3 years a decent battery life?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
A mate has a 3.5 year old Merida eOne-Sixty 900 (I think..) he rides it about twice a week usually a 50k ride. He did say the last few rides the battery seemed to drop faster. Before he'd do his usual 50k Stuart Gorge loop back to the suburbs with about 30-40% charge left,last few rides it's under 20%. Also felt the bike was not as strong on the really steep areas.

Just wondering as I'm considering a eBike as I have kids now and zero time to maintain a good fitness level (I'm lazy) but is 3 years a average life for these things before they start to fade, even with proper care?

The Battery replacement cost is pretty expensive...

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
A mate has a 3.5 year old Merida eOne-Sixty 900 (I think..) he rides it about twice a week usually a 50k ride. He did say the last few rides the battery seemed to drop faster. Before he'd do his usual 50k Stuart Gorge loop back to the suburbs with about 30-40% charge left,last few rides it's under 20%. Also felt the bike was not as strong on the really steep areas.

Just wondering as I'm considering a eBike as I have kids now and zero time to maintain a good fitness level (I'm lazy) but is 3 years a average life for these things before they start to fade, even with proper care?

The Battery replacement cost is pretty expensive...
Cheaper than a new bike though?

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It may have developed a memory .
Sometimes best to cycle them down and then recharge as opposed to having it live on charge - short charging cycles .
Does he run it in a high power mode ?
Does he spin at a high cadence or grind it ?
What is a normal ride ?
25kms and 500m of climbing or 80kms and 25m climbing
Is he heavy ? - ( i am and it does make a difference )
A bike store can run a diagnostic - keeping mind " reasonable expectation in terms of ACL " A $1,000 battery should in my expectation last longer than 3 yrs
  • Has it had a software upgrade ? - Shimano have released one recently
  • not suggesting planned software obsolescence ......but in the world of geo -blocking , exhaust cheating , scum sucking global hierarchy

( hahahaha went on a rant there )

Mine is still at 90% plus has done 2.5 yrs - apparently good for 1000 full charge cycles ? - Bosch
* I'm trying to find the piece of paper with the report on it .........

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
so many things to remember:
never charge when hot -ie after a ride
never deplete fully, most recommend 30% min before top up
never let it sit fully charged, if not using 50-60% charge only- translates as top up just before ride
charging is top up only, ive seen some info stating don’t charge ton100%, only 80-90 (can damage the Li galvanic cell if forced to full charge)

the batteries and software will b getting better all the time, you’ll get better life buying now than your mate who bought 2 yrs ago - unless you have the apple version whereby they throttle the battery to get better life but performance suffers, or they max performance but battery life suffers

tobbogonist

a registered member
Don't know dick about ebike batteries but most 18v power tool batteries come with a 3 year replacement warranty. After that your on your own.
The tools themselves though, they get around 5 or 6 years replacement.
Same type of battery, lithium ion. Probably something there.
Also don't come into work and get mad at me when I tell you that you can't put an ozito 18v battery in your 14.4v aldi leaf blower, or make a complaint when I suggest you buy a $35 rake.. no matter how sarcastic I might have accidently sounded.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I have a home job ebike and did about 3000, 2000, 500, 2000, 1000, 0, 500km over the years respectively. Battery charge is estimated at about 70% of new. I have a crappy charger that fully charges and then I leave it for months on end with the last few years spent in storage (battery fully depleted in storage lol). I didn't run the battery fully dead unless on occasion for big rides, mostly was juts in between commute days when the legs were just not up to it for a normal bike.

Depends on the cells but generally I'm not complaining for the life. I have a mate with higher power bike, same cells and it is at about 40%. So I guess higher power output plays a role - mine is torue sensing pedal assist built for range above all else.. Is it de-restricted haha?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If he is still doing 50k's in the Adelaide Hills after 3.5 years (15,000km +?) with 20% left I reckon that's probably pretty good and as I would expect. You would expect some loss as people have highlighted above. Mine after 2 years is still saying 99% but I would do probably a third that distance at a guess. I also am fairly fastidious about charging just before a ride and then topping the battery up to 70-80% until the next one.