29er Tyre Thread

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I used to be the biggest weight weenie, now I run all the heavy grippy tyres... I'll never be at the stage to need DD casing but Assagai, Minions, Shorty's, Aggressors, Der Kaisers ect... I dont even notice the rolling resistance now, though I will add when I go for a blip on my XC bike it takes off like its got a motor.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Wait.. you want less noise and good rolling but also want to go from 2.25" to 2.4"?

There are no unicorns available sorry...

I'd recommend the Schwalbe "Racing Bros" combo of Racing Ray Front and Racing Ralph Rear in 2.25"
I've found them to be awesome in mixed terrain, predictable when tipped in with the rounded profiles and exceptionally grippy.
Your wear will vary depending on your dirt types but I usually get ~2000km in mixed terrain.
The side walls can be torn but so can any other tyre.
you get 2000km out of rears? man, it must feel like a brand new bike when you get new ones (i do realize that only 4 weeks riding for you, but still.....). its like a car, everytime you put new tyres on, there is unbelievable grip and quietness, but 100% to do with new not brand.

i must say though, minions have the sound of a 1970's land rover down pat

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
you get 200km out of rears? man, it must feel like a brand new bike when you get new ones (i do realize that only 4 weeks riding for you, but still.....). its like a car, everytime you put new tyres on, there is unbelievable grip and quietness, but 100% to do with new not brand.

i must say though, minions have the sound of a 1970's land rover down pat
And that's often a Thunder Burt.....

I have a Burt that I monitored very closely for durability as part of a study.
His name was "Holey Burt"
2284km
60,000VM

Scotty675

Cable thief
Righto !

All Brissie trails have been loose as fark lately but will be sweet for a little while after this 100mm+ of rain.

White Rock can be sandy so any tyre will struggle. Width and lower pressure helps. What pressures are you running?

Most other soils types around Brissie when they’re so loose over the hard stuff are best with a solid. Well supported knob like DHF or (my favourite) Hans Dampf front on a trail bike. On the rear, you are free to decide how much grip you want at the expense of poor rolling.

Get out there and enjoy the hero dirt for a couple of days if you can !
Have you run a hans dampf trailstar v speedgrip? Comparison?
I've only ran the old trailstar and grip was fantastic but certainly a lot of rolling resistance, I have only run speedgrip nobbi nics. I have a speedgrip hans dampf on the way but was curious of your experience.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Have you run a hans dampf trailstar v speedgrip? Comparison?
I've only ran the old trailstar and grip was fantastic but certainly a lot of rolling resistance, I have only run speedgrip nobbi nics. I have a speedgrip hans dampf on the way but was curious of your experience.
I want to say the ones I have had have been Addix Soft. The NN and RR that I’ve used have been the Speedgrip ones. Soft is certainly grippier but both are decent. When the trails are loose over, the compound seems to make less difference.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I always find Schwalbe tyre selection a little confusing. The online stores don't stock all of the varieties and comparing between the same named (but potentially radically different tyre) is a PITA. So many combinations of compounds and sidewall types/weights.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I always find Schwalbe tyre selection a little confusing. The online stores don't stock all of the varieties and comparing between the same named (but potentially radically different tyre) is a PITA. So many combinations of compounds and sidewall types/weights.
I use the speed and speed grip compounds.
The new Ralph and Ray are great but my go to combo is often "old" Ralph front (out of production) and a thunder burt rear.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Thunder Burt has a surprising amount of grip for a tyre that has such low profile knobs and rolls so fast. I do like the Conti Race King a bit more though. The new Racing Ralph rear is my go to tyre when I need a bit more grip than the Race King. Haven't tried the Racing Ray front yet.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Wait.. you want less noise and good rolling but also want to go from 2.25" to 2.4"?

There are no unicorns available sorry...

I'd recommend the Schwalbe "Racing Bros" combo of Racing Ray Front and Racing Ralph Rear in 2.25"
I've found them to be awesome in mixed terrain, predictable when tipped in with the rounded profiles and exceptionally grippy.
Your wear will vary depending on your dirt types but I usually get ~2000km in mixed terrain.
The side walls can be torn but so can any other tyre.
Not bothered with noise, but it seems like really pronounced knobs make more noise, and my NN are noisy and squirm around a lot on hard pack, i don't like them.
Not bothered about wear either, $60-70 per tyre i can live with.

I do want something that rolls well, especially in the rear, i do want something that grips well on hard pack, especially on the front.
Looks like i'm not going any wider than 2.25 or 2.3 which is fine.
I'll sacrifice extra weight for stronger tyres, i run them tubeless with stans but i'm more interested in reliability than lightest possible.

It's all going to be a compromise, i get that, and yeah, i want the unicorn which i obviously can't have, but there are so many brands, patterns, compounds, sidewall options, it's a mine field and while i have no problem paying for them, i'm looking for suggestions because i hate the idea of paying for the wrong tyres and having to look again.....

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
So it looks like i'm going with either of these options, depending on availability...

Racing Ray/Racing Ralph
or
Minion DHF/Ardent, Agassi, aggressor, etc

Waiting for my LBS to get back to me but i'll see what they can get.....

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Based on the ^ post and noting you think the nobby nic knobs are too big, I'd be suggesting Racing Ralph rear and Racing Ray front, both in snakeskin. Light as a fart.

If you want a grippier / stronger front then try a DHF.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
In the meantime Google Vittoria Barzo and Mezcal.

Middle weight tyres that roll, and pretty meaty sidewalls

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Unless you're only riding the fire roads at White Rock, you'll burst the RR in a matter of rides.
My dilemma. My wife's new bike has RRs on it and they don't seem to have the grip or sidewall support she's used in an EXO Maxxis. It's pretty rocky and loose here.....
But they are light. Not sure what way to go in tyres yet...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So it looks like i'm going with either of these options, depending on availability...

Racing Ray/Racing Ralph
or
Minion DHF/Ardent, Agassi, aggressor, etc

Waiting for my LBS to get back to me but i'll see what they can get.....
Assegai is a slow roller on flatter terrain, even when just fitted to the front. DHF is a good all-rounder up front and is fairly flexible with tyre pressure to find your happy place between grip and decent rolling. Aggressor is a good all-rounder on the rear (and quite tough IMO), but not super fast rolling like a semi-slick.

Flow-Rider

Burner
My dilemma. My wife's new bike has RRs on it and they don't seem to have the grip or sidewall support she's used in an EXO Maxxis. It's pretty rocky and loose here.....
But they are light. Not sure what way to go in tyres yet...
Yeah, catch 22, if you ride conservatively they might be alright, I plough through the rock gardens and hope for the best. The local sandstone trails wear your tyres down fast too.

One tyre I really like for the light side of trail riding is the Onza Canis

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yeah, catch 22, if you ride conservatively they might be alright, I plough through the rock gardens and hope for the best. The local sandstone trails wear your tyres down fast too.

One tyre I really like for the light side of trail riding is the Onza Canis
I'll check those out. Reasonably stiff sidewall?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I'll check those out. Reasonably stiff sidewall?
Not as stiff as the Vittorias but better than the Conti I've got on the front, also not quite as free rolling as a Mezcal, but very very close. Nicely predictable between upright and fully tilted. I'm waiting for a new Barzo to arrive to see if it can overpower the rear grip. The OLD 2.2 Conti X-King doesn't have the cajones to take charge of the Canis anymore