29er Tyre Thread

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Help!
I am so lost trying to decide on what tyres my 29 trail bike needs....
Currently running NN, and i don't like them at all, they're not even worn out but the knobs seem too big, they're incredibly noisy they move around and wash out on hard pack a LOT!

I have been looking at Pirelli Scorpion with a dedicated rear 2.4 and a Mixed front, also 2.4
I'm slow and lazy so i'd like something that rolls, and i mostly ride hard pack and rocky shit, i will be getting the stronger option sidewall and i run tubeless.
There are so many brands, patterns, compounds etc and my head is spinning reading forums, reviews etc. I doubt i will replace them with a Schwalbe option.....
I can recommend the Maxxis ardent for the rear, running one on the Honzo at the moment and it rolls fast and grips well enough for the rear.

I like Maxxis DHF on the front but like @beeb that's more of an enduro tyre. I would still consider something chunky like the DHF though because they really let you stick it into the corners and roll well enough on the flat parts.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
I can recommend the Maxxis ardent for the rear, running one on the Honzo at the moment and it rolls fast and grips well enough for the rear.

I like Maxxis DHF on the front but like @beeb that's more of an enduro tyre. I would still consider something chunky like the DHF though because they really let you stick it into the corners and roll well enough on the flat parts.
Nice, thanks, i have Eaton EA70 rims that have a 19mm width i believe, can i run 2.4 or should i stay with 2.25?

DHF, is that a "Minion"?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Help!
Currently running NN, and i don't like them at all, they're not even worn out but the knobs seem too big, they're incredibly noisy they move around and wash out on hard pack a LOT!

I have been looking at Pirelli Scorpion with a dedicated rear 2.4 and a Mixed front, also 2.4
I'm slow and lazy so i'd like something that rolls, and i mostly ride hard pack and rocky shit, i will be getting the stronger option sidewall and i run tubeless.
There are so many brands, patterns, compounds etc and my head is spinning reading forums, reviews etc. I doubt i will replace them with a Schwalbe option.....
where are you riding?

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
I live west of Brissie and there are trails all over, mostly hard pack and loose over. White rock trails at Blackstone is pretty typical.

Sometimes i ride Daisy and Mt.Cootha as well

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I live west of Brissie and there are trails all over, mostly hard pack and loose over. White rock trails at Blackstone is pretty typical.

Sometimes i ride Daisy and Mt.Cootha as well
Righto !

All Brissie trails have been loose as fark lately but will be sweet for a little while after this 100mm+ of rain.

White Rock can be sandy so any tyre will struggle. Width and lower pressure helps. What pressures are you running?

Most other soils types around Brissie when they’re so loose over the hard stuff are best with a solid. Well supported knob like DHF or (my favourite) Hans Dampf front on a trail bike. On the rear, you are free to decide how much grip you want at the expense of poor rolling.

Get out there and enjoy the hero dirt for a couple of days if you can !

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Righto !

All Brissie trails have been loose as fark lately but will be sweet for a little while after this 100mm+ of rain.

White Rock can be sandy so any tyre will struggle. Width and lower pressure helps. What pressures are you running?

Most other soils types around Brissie when they’re so loose over the hard stuff are best with a solid. Well supported knob like DHF or (my favourite) Hans Dampf front on a trail bike. On the rear, you are free to decide how much grip you want at the expense of poor rolling.

Get out there and enjoy the hero dirt for a couple of days if you can !
All the rain recently is why i'm so keen to change my tyres and get at it!
I've been slack lately and not riding much, not a fan of dust bowls so now it's perfect!

Typically i run 25psi F&R

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Yup

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Would running Ardent in 2.25 F&R be ok or is there a noticeable benefit to the Minion DHF on the front? (i'm not very fast, i ride for exercise and to wind down, not into racing or scaring myself shitless....) LOL

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Would running Ardent in 2.25 F&R be ok or is there a noticeable benefit to the Minion DHF on the front? (i'm not very fast, i ride for exercise and to wind down, not into racing or scaring myself shitless....) LOL
Really up to you. If you are happy to give up some rolling speed then the DHF is a heaps better front tyre than the Ardent.

If you think you’ll never need the extra grip cause you’re not going fast enough, then get something with smaller knobs. But of grip isn’t a problem, then what is this conversation about?

Ardents are ok on the rear. But of a ‘middle ground’ tyre that I don’t think works great front or rear. Personally, the Nobby Nic has more grip than the Ardent.

Could drop a couple of PSI on the front if you’re less than 90kg.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Help!

I just put some Rekon 2.6” 3C EXO+ tires on my Instinct BC.

While im still pretty pissed off having discovered that the actual width measurement of these tires is 2.4” (when i was really hoping to try something that was in the 2.6 range) so far they have perform beautifully, plenty of grip, nice predictable sliding when pushed hard.

Im becoming quite a fan of the EXO+ sidewalls now, this is my second pair of tires with the + sidewalls and maybe its placebo but i feel like the tires perform / feel better. Im running lower pressures then ive ever done before and havent had any flats. The sidewalls also visually look much cleaner then my std exo tires which all end up with lots of scratches etc.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
One of the girls I ride with was always getting sketched out by lack of traction. She too was running Ardent, front and rear. After much pestering to stick a DHF up front (she was loathe to lose the easy rolling), she finally relented, and swears she would never go back.

My Yeti runs DHF front, and Aggressor rear, and is really well balanced. My HT plus bike runs WTB Trailblazer tyres front and rear, and that is why I now have broken rib/s.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
One of the girls I ride with was always getting sketched out by lack of traction. She too was running Ardent, front and rear. After much pestering to stick a DHF up front (she was loathe to lose the easy rolling), she finally relented, and swears she would never go back.

My Yeti runs DHF front, and Aggressor rear, and is really well balanced. My HT plus bike runs WTB Trailblazer tyres front and rear, and that is why I now have broken rib/s.

LOL, point taken. Sounds like if i ran Ardents F&R i'd be roughly in the same boat as i am now with my NN.

Heal up fast mate! Thanks

Last edited:

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Really up to you. If you are happy to give up some rolling speed then the DHF is a heaps better front tyre than the Ardent.

If you think you’ll never need the extra grip cause you’re not going fast enough, then get something with smaller knobs. But of grip isn’t a problem, then what is this conversation about?

Ardents are ok on the rear. But of a ‘middle ground’ tyre that I don’t think works great front or rear. Personally, the Nobby Nic has more grip than the Ardent.

Could drop a couple of PSI on the front if you’re less than 90kg.
I'm a runt, 67kg, happy to have rolling speed and grip.... but that's not really an option, so yep, i'd rather extra front grip, i've tried lower pressures, 20 and 22 but i don't like the feel of it, but then that is with the NN that i'm not a fan of anyway....

Flow-Rider

Burner
Help!

I ride White rock & Cootha all the time, you want at least a 2.3~2.4 for white rock on the front, the rear you can get away with less. The 2.4 Continental Mountain king & Onza Ibex work well for sand on the front, on the rear, you can run a semi-slick type of tyre. You could probably keep the NN outback as it will wear down the knobs really fast at Castle and Whiterock.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
something i discovered on my front tyre journey, is the difference between a DHF and a DHR2 - and its not F for front or R for rear...

anyway, most overall cornering grip goes for DHF, the DHR2 however is more progressive as it loses grip and has better braking traction

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Wait.. you want less noise and good rolling but also want to go from 2.25" to 2.4"?

There are no unicorns available sorry...

I'd recommend the Schwalbe "Racing Bros" combo of Racing Ray Front and Racing Ralph Rear in 2.25"
I've found them to be awesome in mixed terrain, predictable when tipped in with the rounded profiles and exceptionally grippy.
Your wear will vary depending on your dirt types but I usually get ~2000km in mixed terrain.
The side walls can be torn but so can any other tyre.