29er Steel XC/Trail hardtail frames with tapered headsets?

takai

Eats Squid
Now that my XC/hardtail trail bike has died an ignominious death, im considering shifting that bike to be a 29er instead. But im also considering making it a steel frame bike rather than a cheap alloy bike.

However, it seems that the majority of 29er frames out there are straight 1 1/8 external headsets (i.e. not even 44mm). The main one that keeps coming up is the Niner SIR9, but im not quite willing to pay that much to dip my toes in the 29er water. Any other suggestions on steel hardtails with tapered headsets?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Kona Honzo ST..... with a 120mm fork.
Not a full on XC race rig and not light.....

Im building one up as a 650+ 140mm....

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you seen my for sale thread?..

In all seriousness you need to look at the ritchey p29, Cotic Solaris, Stanton Sherpa, Genesis high latitude, salsa el mariachi, vassago, there is so many out there....

takai

Eats Squid
Kona Honzo ST..... with a 120mm fork.
Not a full on XC race rig and not light.....

Im building one up as a 650+ 140mm....
That does look like an interesting option.

Have you seen my for sale thread?..

In all seriousness you need to look at the ritchey p29, Cotic Solaris, Stanton Sherpa, Genesis high latitude, salsa el mariachi, vassago, there is so many out there....
Yeah, as with almost every other sale thread currently, I just dont fit a L frame.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Now that my XC/hardtail trail bike has died an ignominious death, im considering shifting that bike to be a 29er instead. But im also considering making it a steel frame bike rather than a cheap alloy bike.

However, it seems that the majority of 29er frames out there are straight 1 1/8 external headsets (i.e. not even 44mm). The main one that keeps coming up is the Niner SIR9, but im not quite willing to pay that much to dip my toes in the 29er water. Any other suggestions on steel hardtails with tapered headsets?
I've got a Niner MCR with 100mm fork, CK headset, and new shimano BB I need to get rid of in size medium. PM me if interested.

Also have other bits for a build.... depending on what you need.

Bear

takai

Eats Squid
wheel size wont determine frame size...

i'm 176cm and teeter on the edge of medium/large on my E29.
I know it doesnt technically, but i prefer the smaller frame to offset the less lively feel of the bigger wheels with some geometry. I just find it a reasonable compromise.

takai

Eats Squid
The BigWig and Honzo look like very interesting options. Short and slack would be a bit of fun. Given I hate climbing anyway and will just granny ring that stuff it's possibly a better option than a 71/72* XC geo bike.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Transition Trans Am....
QFT.

I've got an older TransAM (26) in a size S and I'm 5'2" or like 158cm. I'd say the size is spot on for me, husband is 5'10" or so and he says the size is perfect for throwing around on trails but could be bigger for serious pedalling around.

Z

Zaf

The BigWig and Honzo look like very interesting options. Short and slack would be a bit of fun. Given I hate climbing anyway and will just granny ring that stuff it's possibly a better option than a 71/72* XC geo bike.
Unless you're XC racing, don't get XC geo! Honzo gets a big old +1 from me, great bike, smiles for miles.

Z

Zaf

Here's the shortlist of Frames that I was looking at when I was buying the Honzo. I settled on the Honzo because it had the best Geometry without compromises and best price, but for sake of having a look:
Commencal HT AM CroMo
Transition TransAM
Canfield Nimble 9
Niner ROS9
Chromag Rootdown or Surface
Nicolai Argon AM

Hell, the new Trek Stache's are pretty well done as well, local store had one or two in and they sold so quickly. But there's a lot of really good choices out there, and then you can even get custom frames built, Hettly seemed to do good deals on Titanium frames but never answered any emails, but if they've sorted that side of the business out they're priced well.

The Honzo was absolutely the right choice, but a big part of me wishes I could justify the spend on a Chromag Surface or a Nicolai, seriously seriously pretty bikes.

Last edited by a moderator: