Reason for selling: want same fork in 29
Price and price conditions:$450 posted
Extra Info: set at 110 (100-120mm), 178 steerer
Pictures: yes

Attachments

Last edited:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Hey @Scotty675, could I trouble you for the a-c measurement? Thanks!

@beeb, or anyone else schooled in geometry changes, how would a 37mm offset fork change the geo/feel on a bike that has 44mm offset forks currently on there?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@beeb, or anyone else schooled in geometry changes, how would a 37mm offset fork change the geo/feel on a bike that has 44mm offset forks currently on there?
IMO:

Slightly slower turn-in (turning away from centre) feel, slightly more stable (holds a line better) in corners.

Negatives, if the head angle is too steep (maybe 67 or steeper?) - May make the turn-in feel a little heavy/unresponsive (not unable to turn the bars, just a bit more stubborn when initiating a turning movement), but ironically on slacker (maybe 66 or slacker) bikes the shorter offset forks can be a touch more prone to 'wheel flop' when climbing at very low speeds (typically most of my climbing... :p).

We're not talking big difference here though, think maybe the difference in feel you'd get going to a 1 degree slacker HTA, but without the increased front-centre distance/A2C or potentially having to weight the bars/bike differently.

It's subtle, wouldn't stress too much about it unless the bike's very XC in geo (there I find the longer offsets feel a bit "pointier", and lend a more energetic feel to the bike and steering probably due to technically probably being a bit less stable...).

Labcanary

IMO:

Slightly slower turn-in (turning away from centre) feel, slightly more stable (holds a line better) in corners.

Negatives, if the head angle is too steep (maybe 67 or steeper?) - May make the turn-in feel a little heavy/unresponsive (not unable to turn the bars, just a bit more stubborn when initiating a turning movement), but ironically on slacker (maybe 66 or slacker) bikes the shorter offset forks can be a touch more prone to 'wheel flop' when climbing at very low speeds (typically most of my climbing... :p).

We're not talking big difference here though, think maybe the difference in feel you'd get going to a 1 degree slacker HTA, but without the increased front-centre distance/A2C or potentially having to weight the bars/bike differently.

It's subtle, wouldn't stress too much about it unless the bike's very XC in geo (there I find the longer offsets feel a bit "pointier", and lend a more energetic feel to the bike and steering probably due to technically probably being a bit less stable...).
Thanks mate!

The bike has a 66 deg HA. Interestingly, the steering feels a bit twitchy as is. Do you think less offset might make it feel more twitchy? Or should I just STFU and buy these forks?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Thanks mate!

The bike has a 66 deg HA. Interestingly, the steering feels a bit twitchy as is. Do you think less offset might make it feel more twitchy? Or should I just STFU and buy these forks?
It'll make it slightly less twitchy.

On a dually, definitely. Even if it's on a hardtail it will mostly just reduce the twitchyness at sag a bit - only if you run your forks with a lot of sag and they sit in the midstroke while cornering, the different offset might cause some faint handling quirks deeper in the travel (hard to describe, feels like the front wheel's lightly tugging on the bars through the steerer to make the front end want to turn in further than you've already steered), but that's exaggerating the feeling for the sake of being able to describe it - and it generally only happens with quite a bit of load on the tyre, and I don't know about you but I try to run a reasonably suppportive fork setup on a hardtail and rarely find myself smashing forks to full travel midway round a corner (especially with a hardtail).

I'd say it's probbly going to be the cheapest way to test what the difference (if any, some people swear blind they don't feel any difference - *ahem*, moorey).

Labcanary

It'll make it slightly less twitchy.

On a dually, definitely. Even if it's on a hardtail it will mostly just reduce the twitchyness at sag a bit - only if you run your forks with a lot of sag and they sit in the midstroke while cornering, the different offset might cause some faint handling quirks deeper in the travel (hard to describe, feels like the front wheel's lightly tugging on the bars through the steerer to make the front end want to turn in further than you've already steered), but that's exaggerating the feeling for the sake of being able to describe it - and it generally only happens with quite a bit of load on the tyre, and I don't know about you but I try to run a reasonably suppportive fork setup on a hardtail and rarely find myself smashing forks to full travel midway round a corner (especially with a hardtail).

I'd say it's probbly going to be the cheapest way to test what the difference (if any, some people swear blind they don't feel any difference - *ahem*, moorey).
Again, thank you for the in depth replies!

Looks like it might be NFD soon :D