2026 Commonwealth Games

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's been announced that Victoria is interested in hosting the 2026 Commonwealth Games. Apparently there's been little interested globally due to costs, and the intent here is to re-use infrastructure built for the 2006 Games as well as push events out into regional areas rather than have them cluttered around the CBD.

Assuming MTB is still on the program it will be interesting to see whether this means upgrades for Lysterfield and the original course, the ability to integrate it into the Warburton trails and help push them along, or a new trail centre all together (unlikely)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Will be so sad to see the comms games run at lysterfield.

Also if it can't hack a post covid lockdown crowd rush, how the hell is it going to deal with commonwealth games!?

Maybe Mt buller epic - that's got a fair bit of climbing and tech. Not really XC lap format though. Buxton too small, maybe traralgon area? Would be a huge economic booster for that region and government like that. Lake mtn is too downhill, youies too techy and the xc bits are boring, harcourt too tough a course. Yeah we really need warby lol.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It'll be somewhere open with good drone / camera viewing opportunities.
Assume it will be a shit course and no more facilities will be built for ongoing use.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
think ole mate peter said tassy could co-host other disciplines like mountain biking but im dirty on the whole idea of a com games anyway unless vic funds the whole thing themselves with no fed funding i see com games as a waste of time and effort.

moorey

call me Mia
think ole mate peter said tassy could co-host other disciplines like mountain biking but im dirty on the whole idea of a com games anyway unless vic funds the whole thing themselves with no fed funding i see com games as a waste of time and effort.
Fuck off. I don’t wanna pay. We paid enough for Sydney and Brisbane.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
Fuck off. I don’t wanna pay. We paid enough for Sydney and Brisbane.
thats my point entirely. if vic wants to host com games, olympics, whatever, then they should fund the entire thing themselves with no fed funding. I see com games and Olympics these days as a complete waste of time and money, especially when we have housing crisis (Especially here in tas, dont know what it's like in mainland cities)

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats my point entirely. if vic wants to host com games, olympics, whatever, then they should fund the entire thing themselves with no fed funding. I see com games and Olympics these days as a complete waste of time and money, especially when we have housing crisis (Especially here in tas, dont know what it's like in mainland cities)
I think that's the plan (although I'm sure they'll ask the Feds to pony up - and throw some $$ around as well, consultants gotta eat! :rolleyes:).
The initial plan at least called for minimal infrastructure spending because existing structures would be used, with maybe temporary seating added where needed. It also mentioned using hotels/existing accom rather than having a games village so that they don't even need a housing area.

I'm very much in the "olympics/comm games are a waste of $" camp, but if you are going to run them it does actually make sense to run them in a place more than once so that anything built is used more often, and also spread them beyond one city/region to maximize existing arenas.
Dan the man is spruiking it as something that will bring the tourism $$, but do people really travel for Comm Games?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was a bit interested whenTassie put up its hand...thought hey maybe in addition could also run DH...but there is no way we could really run it, in that timeframe we dont have the major facilities.

Dan the man is spruiking it as something that will bring the tourism $$, but do people really travel for Comm Games?
You know how "we" (being the media) make such a song and dance about the comm games was interesting over on mtbr, discussing with someone involved with Canadian mtb that they didnt really care about it, Olympics, worlds/world cup etc, yes, but comm games, not so much.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Since Oz is so down on China maybe the comm games will raise Victoria's profile as a tourist destination with India, plenty of people and money there.
Perhaps we can Kabaddi as a demo sport

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Ok so the location of the mtb course should be deakin university then? :D
nope the Govt have said they want to take it regional -will either be black hill or harcourt [they appear to have selected geleong/bendigo/ballarat to host events], i vote harcourt - up down 2 & 5..though i would love to see the XC guys go up/down 8

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Need more flag waving opportunities for the patriotic masses. As if there wasnt enough of that shit in Canberra last weekend....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
nope the Govt have said they want to take it regional -will either be black hill or harcourt [they appear to have selected geleong/bendigo/ballarat to host events], i vote harcourt - up down 2 & 5..though i would love to see the XC guys go up/down 8
Rekon up 7 would be epic in terms of testing fitness, can hoop around 10 (11 is a bit too much for XC I rekon), 9 and back down to 6. How long are XC races? I think though harcourt is tough to overtake on unless they modify the track.