2021 Trans Tasmania Enduro

rstim

Likes Dirt
Shearpin's dodgy leftie is easily walked, its the chute on Detonate that's a pig to 'B' line, no room for a bloke and bike down the chute unless you are riding it.

If you nutters are riding blind, wear elbows 100%.
I've managed to run down the chute a number of times even during race runs, still haven't plucked up the courage to give it a crack. Maybe being 6'5" helps get me down there but it can be done.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Done the detonate chute twice in 2019, 2020 was fucked up and lost my balls, couldn't afford another crash.

The Shearpin lefty is still a not-done TTF... probably will never be done at my age and responsibility when travelling Tassie.

I've came to be ok with that when my kids got rad.

Nothing more to prove really.

They called me Daddy McCaskill that year... may be a little comment to them, but I'm keeping that for life.

Minlak

custom titis
It’s interesting you mention Derby getting eroded. The local club got a grant to get stuff done and paid for a machine to build some trails. Those trails are getting pretty worn now and it’s a metric fuck tonne of work to try and repair with no money for a machine now or to pay an operator.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
It’s interesting you mention Derby getting eroded. The local club got a grant to get stuff done and paid for a machine to build some trails. Those trails are getting pretty worn now and it’s a metric fuck tonne of work to try and repair with no money for a machine now or to pay an operator.
same problem everywhere, everyone wants 3M to build some trails, with no plan, no idea how to maintain when a bunch of bikes destroy it in winter/wet weather/after storms

moorey

call me Mia
Officially started my 12 month training plan...just working how to cram it in to 8 weeks.

27km with 700m Saturday
35km with 850m Sunday.
12km with 400m Tuesday (taking out some local u10's while our proper weekly group is on Covid hiatus)
20km with 500m before work this morning.

Prep done, tapering off now before I overdo it.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking about dropping back from 800's to 760's particularly for sections like this. Is the gap wider than it looks?
It is @moorey 760 will be comfortable but too much analysis goes into it. The height your bars pass through will differ to others and the sides are not right angles. My approach is always to assess from the top then from below, but I found the run out harder than the gap. A couple of loose rocks made it look sketchy.

moorey

call me Mia
It is @moorey 760 will be comfortable but too much analysis goes into it. The height your bars pass through will differ to others and the sides are not right angles. My approach is always to assess from the top then from below, but I found the run out harder than the gap. A couple of loose rocks made it look sketchy.
Who am I kidding...I'm walking it....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm thinking about dropping back from 800's to 760's particularly for sections like this. Is the gap wider than it looks?
It’s no harder than any other chute you’d ride anywhere, just the big granite sides fuck with your head, and it’s a tight, slow turn to get into it. Even way off any sort of race pace (I.e. below); plenty of space either side of you can point and shoot straight.

edit: gif fail :(

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I see you compensated for your narrow bars by spreading your elbows out @ozzybmx ,same as I did. At least you had elbow pads on.
In 2019 we were there for 12 days, I looked at it on day 1 or 2 but didn't do it until the last few days. Gary from Premium MTB told me to wear elbows if I had them, which was a great tip.

As itsajoke says, the run out needs to be taken into consideration, there's a left hander with a drop off a large rock slab about ~3-4m from the bottom of the chute.
The chute also has a hole in the middle and the rock slab is covered in granite pea gravel that is carried down from the approach at the top. Hitting it blind would require massive bollox.

On my first attempt, I got stuck in the hole halfway down, my ass hit the back tyre and the bike stopped, my bars twisted and pushed me against the rock side, I was going too slow and thats a recipe for hitting the sides, if I didnt have elbows on it would have been nasty.

Its without a doubt a daunting feature, very iconic and was happy to do it once. Never know, might have another go if I can push the peanuts down out of my stomach, where they currently reside.

EDIT: Attached a couple of random pics showing the rock slab drop after the chute.

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
First time you ride Detonate I'm sure there is a feature just before it that leaves you thinking "was that it?", rest assure that was not it. I know it's often easier said than done but get all your braking done early and then just as you enter the chute you should be off the brakes, elbows in and set up for the sharp left on the exit.

Flow-Rider

Burner
In 2019 we were there for 12 days, I looked at it on day 1 or 2 but didn't do it until the last few days. Gary from Premium MTB told me to wear elbows if I had them, which was a great tip.

As itsajoke says, the run out needs to be taken into consideration, there's a left hander with a drop off a large rock slab about ~3-4m from the bottom of the chute.
The chute also has a hole in the middle and the rock slab is covered in granite pea gravel that is carried down from the approach at the top. Hitting it blind would require massive bollox.

On my first attempt, I got stuck in the hole halfway down, my ass hit the back tyre and the bike stopped, my bars twisted and pushed me against the rock side, I was going too slow and thats a recipe for hitting the sides, if I didnt have elbows on it would have been nasty.

Its without a doubt a daunting feature, very iconic and was happy to do it once. Never know, might have another go if I can push the peanuts down out of my stomach, where they currently reside.

EDIT: Attached a couple of random pics showing the rock slab drop after the chute.

View attachment 369764

View attachment 369765
Old Gary has moved on and sold out aye, went into the message business I believe.