ACT 2017 Mont 24hr

nak

Likes Bikes
Couldn't see a thread for this race already underway - delete (and point me in the right direction if there is .

First time entrant for me.

Any hot tips?? Everything from how avoid getting a tent site next to the toilets, to race strategy.....

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hot tip, rider position in day 1,2,3,4,5,6
Then go 1,2,1,2,3,4,3,4,5,6,5,6

1 HR laps then 1 HR rest, then 1 HR lap, now means each rider has 8 hours off - enough for some sleep. Haven't found that the second lap is any slower than the first.

Lights - take a spare

Next rider - make sure rider coming off course knows who is doing the lap after the person he just handed off to, so he can go wake them up when he gets back to camp and settled down a bit .

If you aren't faster than 90% of racers downhill, please don't block others - for many, the couple of long downhills at the mont are the only reason they are there, and nothing ruins their ride more than taking 4 minutes rather than 2 1/2 minutes to do the downhill (you'll know if they are faster by how quickly they came up behind you)

Don't worry about the toilets, camp on high ground - have someone turn up on Friday morning first thing. If it rains, the bottom sections have become bogs in the past.

nak

Likes Bikes
great thanks. Hadn't thought about fiddling with rider order to get a good break - assumed we'd just stick to 1,2,3,4 etc that makes good sense.

pliskin

Likes Dirt
* have an estimated time your previous rider out should be at transition, try and be there 10 mins earlier, just in case they have a blinding lap.
* it can get bloody cold standing at transition at 3am. make sure you have some warm gear that can quickly be stripped off and handed over.
* if your on a 4 man team doing 55 minutes/lap, you probably wont actually sleep between laps, so be prepared to be awake for 24hours or more.
* do as much night riding as you can in preparation
* if possible have fresh riding gear for each lap, nothing worse then putting on still sweaty/ wet riding gear.
* make sure your bike has had all maintenance carried out week before. there will be mechanics on site but it can get chaotic, trying to fix something last minute that could have been avoided easily.
* have a shit load of fun

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
If possible get a camp spot beside the track that way you can "transition" at your camp so the next rider can keep warm for longer and is never late. Ok your offical lap times won't match with your names but I'm sure you can work it out.
Pharmaboy's hot tip is the go for getting rest at night

Most importantly have fun

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
This info depends on your purpose of going;
If you're there to win, then stick to single laps and just keep rolling through the order. Even the fastest elite rider goes slower on their second lap of a double - especially at night. Look up past lap times, there's no question that doubles are slower. I was in a fairly serious team at the Mont a few years ago (we won 4 man and 3rd overall) and we just rolled through the order with little sleep.
If you're just there for fun, take plenty of batteries and spare lights, do doubles if you want to sleep and just eat whatever you want. Average riders will be lapping in 1hr-1.5hrs so make sure your batteries will last that long. Traffic can be bad at times through the night. People tend to sit behind others and make passing difficult. Even when you're racing for the win you need to be courteous and realise everyone is there racing too, just at their own pace.
If it's your 1st 24hr then just enjoy it.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Some of the best advice at the moment is to encourage as many people as you know to enter, because with a week to go numbers are too low for the race to go ahead at all.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Some of the best advice at the moment is to encourage as many people as you know to enter, because with a week to go numbers are too low for the race to go ahead at all.
:horn: Fingers crossed this goes ahead, I'm rather looking forward to it even if it does mean spending another night in the wilderness with Moorey.

Mont24Team

Likes Bikes
Your first Mont?

Couldn't see a thread for this race already underway - delete (and point me in the right direction if there is .
First time entrant for me.
Any hot tips?? Everything from how avoid getting a tent site next to the toilets, to race strategy.....
Some good information can be found here...
https://selfpropelled.com.au/articles/

and please, encourage your mates to enter before entry close on Monday evening. We'd love to have them along...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Any chance you could extend registration by a week to help get numbers up.

We have a Rotorburn team entering (the Burnouts) and it we're all super-pumped to see the race go ahead!

John U

MTB Precision
Using the Find My Friends app or something similar is a great way of tracking your team mates. Can save a lot of waiting in the pits and negates the need for estimating lap times.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
More than happy to take your Honzo for a few laps and greatly appreciate your offer!

:yo: