2015 Coomie 3hr 'Enduro'

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
It's an enduro in the old sense of the word...more endurance than enduro. If you think you have the legs to thrash pedals and weave through Black Box trees and saltbush for three hours at speed then good luck to you...I don't. I ride slowly and carefully.

If you fancy doing otherwise and find yourself around Mildura in North Western Victoria on the 20th September 2015 then feel free! For $30 (less for U17, even less for U13) and a bit of effort you might find yourself in the running for some cash prizes but without effort you'll still go away with tall tales, a dusty body and a new appreciation for mountain biking with no mountains.

The Coomealla Mountainless Mountain Bike Club cordially and enthusiastically invites any and all to partake in as many kilometres of our unique track network as you can manage in a 3 hour period from 10 am on the 20th September 2015.

There are easy options for youngsters, beginners and team players but the biggie is pedalling as fast as you can for three hours...hills aren't everything! Let us show you why...

And if you've been before...we've been busy on the track so it won't be quite the same as you remember. Though it is still remarkably flat.

Entry is open right now via www.entryzone.com.au

akashra

Eats Squid
This event has been on my bucket list since they started running it, I've just never got around to it :(

Could possibly do it this year, though I have no fitness.

silentbutdeadly

This event has been on my bucket list since they started running it, I've just never got around to it :(

Could possibly do it this year, though I have no fitness.
No fitness is no barrier to entry...although its my excuse this year too! I'll be helping out behind the scenes instead.

Spent a couple of hours at the track this morning and its in fine shape. However we have two days of track work this weekend to bring some new features to the party and perhaps to sort out a longer lap than the usual 10 km...wait and see, eh?

silentbutdeadly

Yay, an event that puts the enduro back in enduro! Bugger that I'm already committed to another event that weekend.
We did once think about calling it the '3 hour Endurance' but figured that wouldn't sell tickets. Every time someone suggests a 6 hour event we all go 'great idea' and then pretend we have Alzheimer's...

silentbutdeadly

Just thought I'd add some photo's from the weekends track work. Just a lazy 400 metres of new features and reinstated track near the trailhead to add a few new technical features, provide more upper body work and create new spectator opportunities. Many thanks to the Coomie Club for the grant! This'll be finished and well ridden in before the 3hr

Photo0014.jpg
...this is the new log ride with the still to be finished three line rock garden in the background.

Photo0015.jpg
...a gully of many possible lines. Top most line is a log crossing that requires 'some commitment'.

Photo0016.jpg
...the entry run (looking back up from the bottom) which is a triple pump thingy that could finish with some air depending on your speed and commitment.

We've also reinstated another 300 metres of gully roller coasting out in the middle...that should be fun too.

silentbutdeadly

If anyone is looking for another reason to come up/down/across and sample the delights of Coomie...the Coomealla Club's Caravan Park Resort is offering a 10% discount to all mountain bikers and their families on accommodation at the park for the race weekend. That's motel rooms, cabins, powered and un-powered sites. They'll even cook you breakfast if you stay in the motel.

All you have to do (so I'm told) is say that you are coming for the Enduro and ask for the discount to be applied to your booking.

And the track can be accessed from the bottom of the hill just across the road

http://www.coomeallaclub.com.au/accommodation

Presentation1.jpg

Oh, and I forgot to add that this year the lap length has been extended to approximately 12.5 km which is the longest ever Coomie Enduro lap. Apart from the new technical section and the gully rollers already mentioned we have decided to include an additional 2 km or so of mostly fast single track through the trees and lignum out the back which also includes some more open sections to allow for easier passing. It will also provide an extra challenge for those trying for six or more laps over the entire event.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Righto Punters!!

Last call...online entries (if you want a personalised race plate) close on Wednesday and after that it'll cost you an extra ten bucks for a race day registration. If you also would like a commemorative T-shirt then you'll have to enter by Tuesday (tomorrow). Go to www.entryzone.com.au in order to part with your cash.

The track has been sorted after an epic Sunday grooming session. We have decided on a 10.1 km loop as the extra couple of kays we thought about was a little too much effort to bring into service in time. It's a different track to last year with the new Play Pen plus another 400 metre extension that provides potential air time, a probable sand trap and a bit of extra leg burn...

The track has been marked with pink arrows but we will finish the layout on Friday (blocking other track junctions etc) so that early arrivals can have a go...however there won't be bunting out the back at the ponds until Saturday morning.

I have made a clip from a Strava run that might help with those familiar with the terrain...and it demonstrates GPS drift as well!

Capture.JPG

Hope to see you there!

silentbutdeadly

Big ups to Jack Lampshed and Anna Puckridge for taking line honours at the Coomie and both doing the seven laps to take the prizes. Especially to Anna for finally nailing the outright win after a few seconds over the last events!

The track held up, the legs got hurt and some skin remains on the trees...ready for next time. Thanks to all our visitors for coming and big ups to all the locals for making a show.

To the rest of you.........see you next year, eh?