2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Don't think I've done a PYR thread on this bike, Google can't find it.

Anyway, bought this frame way back in 2012 from Kerry at Phantom as a special order...remembered I paid $3k for it. It's a large, and has had so many different builds over the years as evident in the photos below.

The build today is listed as follows:

Frame - 2012 Santa Crux Tallboy carbon, large, paint scheme is the best damn one SC has ever done IMO
Rear shock - Rockshox Monarch RL
Front shock/fork - Rockshox SID, XX internals (was originally Brain)
Handlebars - Enve XC, flat, 740mm
Stem - Ritchey 70mm
Headset - Chris King
Grips - Fabric Silicon Lockon
Saddle - WTB Silverado, Ti
Seatpost - Fox Transfer 125mm
Brake system - Shimano XT M785, metallic pads
Rotors - Shimano XT 180mm/160mm discs
Cranks - Shimano XT 170mm, 30t ring something something Snail(?)
Chain - Shimano XT
Pedals - Shimano XT
Front derailleur - Nah
Rear derailleur - Shimano Zee 10spd
Rear shifter - Shimano XTR 10spd
Cassette/Cog - Shimano XT 11-36t
Front hub - Specialized Roval SP
Rear hub - Specialized Roval SP w/ stupid 142+ spacing so have to lock out the smallest cog lest chain grind frame
Front rim - Specialized Roval, 23mm IW
Rear rim - Specialized Roval, 23mm IW
Spokes - DT DB SP, crazy expensive can only source from Specialized @ $5/each
Nipples - Were fucking stupid alloy now brass
Front Tyre - Maxxis Crossmark II, 29 x 2.25
Rear Tyre - Maxxis Crossmark II, 29 x 2.25
Tubes - Stans goop
Other bits - Complete Specialized SWAT system, headtube chain tool, two waterbottle cages, cage tool & storage container
Total weight - Dunno - maybe 10.5kg-11kg?

Cable routing was pretty crap from factory (doesn't cater for our brake setup) so organised as shown, sleeved inside heatshrink.

Retrofitting the dropper meant drilling the frame seatpost tube, was careful & drilled the area kinda recommended by SC.

This bike it a proper XC weapon, but twitchy as buggery in the rough stuff. IIRC it has a 71 degree HA. So, so much fun to ride.

Good luck prying it out of my hands, ever.

Photos from now:

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Love this machine @hifiandmtb. Can completely understand why you'll never sell it.

This might be an "just a thing" to a non-rider, but to a rider it's that perfect blend of being your faithful sidekick always ready for an adventure, an escape from the daily grind, and with just a dash of nostalgia too. Plus it looks damn good!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I do love the look of this one too.

If it makes you smile then keep it for as long and you can. I won't be letting my ye olde one go either - bike fashion be damned :)
The TB demo I had sure went like the clappers too.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
How’s the Fabric Lock ons? Just like an ESI grip but lock on, any loss of cushy due to inner sleeve?

The bike has aged very well, still looks current!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
How’s the Fabric Lock ons? Just like an ESI grip but lock on, any loss of cushy due to inner sleeve?

The bike has aged very well, still looks current!
So far I really really like them! Super tacky, more give than most grips & they feel firm on the bars.

Proof is in the long term wear. But they are cheap, so NBD if they don't last forever.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I meant on the same ride .. Interesting how well steep bikes do at one thing but equally worse at another..

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Nothing wrong with a steeper head angle particularly for XC duties. You use far less energy and quick responsive steering is what you need when you don't have plow levels of suspension travel.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So far I really really like them! Super tacky, more give than most grips & they feel firm on the bars.

Proof is in the long term wear. But they are cheap, so NBD if they don't last forever.
I have run a few sets of them now, they last longer than esi grips by a long way.. They can be glued back together pretty easily if damged as well..