2012 Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 3x10 large 2010 Blur XCc is 10.9kg with 1.54kg wheel set, fox 120 FIT RLC, XTR everything bar XT brakes, with tubeless EXO Ikon, and LUST crossmark, thomson seat post, and stem, truvativ noir bars, and ODI grips. This includes bottle cage, xtr pedals, wireless cat eye computer, contour camera mounts.

IMO 9.8kg is feasible with the funds and research... only thing that matters is the grin I have riding the bloody thing though...
This is what I'm getting at. You think there's 1.2kg difference between your bike and this one? I find it hard but at the same time I want to know how because I want my* blur lighter!

You sir, are a dick.
Get a fucking life.

Let me put it a different way:

You build a bike, You think it's shit hot and put it on a scale. How do you know 9.8kg is 9.8kg? You don't and it's not your fault but you have to be weary of these things. On my end, I have a bike of a very similar build that I KNOW 100% weighs 10.6kg. I then look at this bike and can't see where the 900g has dissapeared too... so I post "It's not 10kg" get my drift?

I didn't come in here to start this shit. I very highly doubt anyone here can actually prove the weights of there bikes... Normally I don't give a shit but this bike in particular took my fancy.

End of discussion. PM me if you really need to... Sorry OP, Enjoy the ride! I know you will because Blur's kick arse. :)

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The one and only way to solve this dispute - A picture of the bike on scales.

That is a mint ride anyway. New head tube definitely looks better and will be a heap stiffer as well.

taibo

Eats Squid
LOL...to tell you all the truth i really couldnt give a rats ass if the bike weighed 10.8, 9.8 or 1.8. i only weighed it to see what it was out of curiosity and posted it up cos someone would ask. Never been a weight weenie and never will be. I know it is 9.8, the boys at tbsm know it's 9.8, and thats good enough for me. so whether steve-o believes me or not, i dont care, im not losing any sleep over it and i certainly dont zero/reset scales for a living.

if i take a picture of it on the scales then that would mean we would all have to put the popcorn away :)

food for thought...the same set of scales weighed my merida 96 in at 11kg staight out of the box, exactly what the manufacturer states on their website...

Last edited:

wattieez

Likes Dirt
this is a great read.
seriously, if he claims it's 9.8 it's 9.8...maybe you don't really know everything about the weights of your components :clap2:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
food for thought...the same set of scales weighed my merida 96 in at 11kg staight out of the box, exactly what the manufacturer states on their website...
Thats suspicious in itself ... add 2kgs fur sur. :tape:

I reckon its in the foamies ... be even lighter if they were green.

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
are they scooter grips i spy in the first set of photos :suspicious:

freakin sweet bike though

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The one and only way to solve this dispute - A picture of the bike on scales.
Doesn't solve anything, read my post. OP isn't a liar.

LOL...to tell you all the truth i really couldnt give a rats ass if the bike weighed 10.8, 9.8 or 1.8.----so whether steve-o believes me or not, i dont care, im not losing any sleep over it and i certainly dont zero/reset scales for a living.
Neither do I, But hey for some reason everyone got riled up when I said "Not sub 10". I didn't pay $10k for that bike, I don't care. I also don't "zero/reset" scales for a living :)

this is a great read.
seriously, if he claims it's 9.8 it's 9.8...maybe you don't really know everything about the weights of your components :clap2:
He claims it's 9.8 because he weighed it on a scale that said 9.8kg. Just pointing out I think the scales are wrong.

Seriously chappys it's a Friday? Why is this continuing? The bike weighs 9.8kg, it's awesome because it's a blur and old mate loves riding it...All I wanted to do was talk bike weights but hey, It's a sensitive topic.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weight aside, I'm disappointed you went for a nice bike with real working suspension instead of another Yeti!:pirate:

I also notice you have gold anodised bb, headset and top cap, but you haven't got a gold seat clamp. That'll shave some weight off for sure and make the bike faster, as will pedals!

Nice bike Tai. :)

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Weight aside, I'm disappointed you went for a nice bike with real working suspension instead of another Yeti!:pirate:
Grrrrrrr!:whip:

Yeah Tai, I'm with that wanker! There's no way it's sub-10kg! If it was lighter than his bike his penis might be smaller than yours too...:loco:

P.S. Your bike is rad. But has too many pivots...:ballchain:

Last edited:

taibo

Eats Squid
LOL! i need to refill my popcorn...

went for a very short ride today out at yellowmundee. still need to tweak suspension settings but i love how this thing descends, purposely took crap lines and the VPP with a 1000 pivots actually work :). through that one section with the tight twisty trees it didnt feel as fast and nimble as the ninety-six(71 vs 69.5 HA). this bike makes me plow...up and down, handling finesse need not apply :)
rear end is definately stiffer than the ninety-six.

hoping for 4 more hours in the saddle tomorrow at Appin to get to know her a bit better.

wattieez

Likes Dirt
VPP rocks, i've only got the first gen VPP and it soaks everything up, feels like a 160mm rear.

Steve-O, maybe taibo weighed his bike on Mt Everest?

We can now put the popcorn away

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LOL! i need to refill my popcorn...
No need,

How'd the 1.5" feel compared to a 1 1/18th carbon bike?

The ride feels good for sure! As you found out, it's laid out like a bigger bike but it still climbs like a mountain goat. Once you get the rear suspension setup it will get even better.
Someone here needs to give themself an uppercut for e-arguements.
A few people do... including me.

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I also don't "zero/reset" scales for a living :)
I'm actually interested.. what do you do for a living? You've made a point of it being your profession and, well.. if you're going to part with that small piece of information as your credibility, you need to show us the whole pie...
You could be a checkout-chick weighing the groceries or a cocain dealer weighing grams for all we know, come clean with it!

Anyway, love the bike, but cut the freakin steerer!:tape:

taquar

Likes Dirt
Love it! Was looking at getting some of the 2012 Fox stuff when I can afford it, I would really like a 150 talas but it may just be wishful thinking... :(

I've never seen the point to really light bikes. I can understand that it's a project or whatnot, but really, why? Is there a serious difference in losing that 500g, or is it more of an ego thing? :p. For example, my bike should weigh about 12.5, but it's currently at about 15 according to my bathroom scales, and I don't care. It's not the bike, it's how you ride it!

wattieez

Likes Dirt
Jump on a XC race bike and see how fast you can go :p

There's a big difference, though the major part you see it through is lighter wheels

Love it! Was looking at getting some of the 2012 Fox stuff when I can afford it, I would really like a 150 talas but it may just be wishful thinking... :(

I've never seen the point to really light bikes. I can understand that it's a project or whatnot, but really, why? Is there a serious difference in losing that 500g, or is it more of an ego thing? :p. For example, my bike should weigh about 12.5, but it's currently at about 15 according to my bathroom scales, and I don't care. It's not the bike, it's how you ride it!