2012 - Real Insurance NSWMTB XCO Series

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
2012 REAL INSURANCE / NSWMTB State XCO series.

Entries are now open:

https://www.registernow.com.au/mtba/ERegister.aspx?E=1096

First round: Sunday 15th July - SCUM (Nowra)

More details are available via - http://cyclenation.com.au/DisplayLink.aspx?group=Events&name=NSW MTB<br/> XC Series

Low cost, competitive, high quality XC racing.

Supporters include.
REAL INSURANCE, CYCLENATION, NSWMTB
Capilano HONEYSHOTZ, DIYMTB, Maxxyz Tires & McGees Cycling

Special note:
McGees cycling are providing 16 junior MTB skill days to be awarded to four juniors at each race. These lucky juniors will be taught MTB handling skills by the talented and wellknown McGee family at their MTB 'private track' Fitzroy Falls.

Flyer to come this week - I'll repost once I have the graphic.

NCR

Likes Bikes
Race Categories

Can anyone give me an idea of the differences in categories in this series. Couldn't find any info on the Cyclenation website regarding distances for Elite/Expert/Sport or the ages for Veterans etc.

Obviously won't be racing Elite but when I go to register I have the option of the others including Veterans and don't really know which one to race. Would love feedback on the possible standards or club grade equivelant for the different groups.

Thanks.

DunkMan

Likes Bikes
Some race info, will update as we get closer, but as a guide

As this is an annual series ages are based on the calendar year eg if you turn 19 at anytime in 2012 you will not be eligible to race under 19's but will be under 23's

DescriptionGenderMin AgeMax AgeCostRace TimeStart TimeLaps
Elite MaleMale$20.001:30-1:459:00am5
Elite FemaleFemale$20.001:30-1:454
Expert MaleMale$20.001:30-1:454
Under 23 MaleMale22$20.001:30-1:455
Under 23 FemaleFemale22$20.001:30-1:454
Under 19 MaleMale18$15.001:00-1:153
Under 19 FemaleFemale18$15.001:00-1:152
Under 17 MaleMale16$15.001:00-1:1511:30am3
Under 17 FemaleFemale16$15.001:00-1:152
Under 15 MaleMale14$15.001:00-1:152
Under 15 FemaleFemale14$15.001:00-1:152
Under 13 Mixed12$15.001 - modified
Veteran MaleMale3039$20.001:15-1:301:30pm3
Veteran FemaleFemale3039$20.001:15-1:303
Master MaleMale4049$20.001:15-1:303
Master FemaleFemale4049$20.001:00-1:152
Super-Master MaleMale50$20.001:15-1:303
Super-Master FemaleFemale50$20.001:00-1:152
Sport MaleMale$20.001:15-1:303
Sport FemaleFemale$20.001:00-1:152

Last edited:

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
I still am not sure what the 'expert men' catagory is when is doesnt have an age-group defined.

Surely its 'up to 30yrs old' - so it captures the non-elite, non Vets.
If I was 28yrs old, but not an 'Elite', where would I race?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I still am not sure what the 'expert men' catagory is when is doesnt have an age-group defined.

Either Sport or Expert.

Sport, Expert and Elite are open age categories. Everything else has the obvious age restrictions ;) Expert provides that gap for people that want to go hard but arn't quite Elite standard.

Cheers
Spoonie

tjb

Likes Dirt

The problem with Vets and Expert as I have discussed with a mate is that you may be ok, but not Elite.

So you are faced with the choice of racing Vets (3 laps) or Expert (4 laps). I know some would race Expert as they get more laps!

morrisan

Likes Bikes
I do not mind the extra lap in experts but I mind wait until 1:30 pm for race in vet so my choice will be experts. Anyway I will be always a weekend warrior.

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
More details..

Hi All,

I've had a few questions over the last week or two, so I thought I'd provide a few more details re- the NSW XC Series and Champs.
All rounds are being run by the clubs, (thank you SCUM, SHCC, WSMTB and CCOMTB clubs), this means entry values are set by each of the clubs running the event in line with their individual pricing mechanisims. Expect some entry price variation from round to round. Entry's are also available on the day, although a late fee may well apply.

Entries are via the registernow portal at MTBA.asn.au - the first round is now up at.. https://www.registernow.com.au/mtba/ERegister.aspx?E=1096

The four rounds (Nowra, Fitzroy Falls, Yellowmundee and Ourimbah) will all provide points for racers which will count towards their series totals. Those with the most points at the end of the four rounds are the winner of the series in each cat. However each round is it's own individual race in it's own right, race one round or race them all.

All series points and points progress / updates will be found at www.cyclenation.com.au

We have small prize bags from Capilano Honey's HONEY SHOTZ and Maxxys Tires for each round. There won't be massive prizes per round - but we are also providing NSW State Series sashes (very simular to those we have used in the last few years) for place getters and winners in each of the cats for each round.

We have some sponsors who have promised to provide us with one-of larger prizes which we will treat as a 'lucky door prize'.. call out a race number.. these are forks, brake sets etc..Courtesy of X-Fusion, Magura etc.

In addition and of special note - is McGee's cycling / Twin Falls have provided us with 16 junior development clinics. Designed specifically for MTB riders. The skills clinics will be run by Brad and Rod McGee at their Twin Falls property (fitzroy falls) over an entire day of skills, tips and tricks. We will be providing four of these 'vouchers' per round to junior riders who 'stand out' - not nessacarily the winners. This is a great prize for the juniors, which is almost invaluable.

in addition, WE HOPE TO PROVIDE - Trophies for winners and place getters of the SERIES if we can source enough funding, otherwise Sashes.

The fourth round (Ourimbah 4th Nov) is also the NSW XC Championships. The winner of this race in each catagory is the NSW champ for 2012 in their cat. We will provide trophies for the championship round as well as CASH prizes for both ELITE Male and Female..

The big thing really is to get involved and race as many of these races as you can if you would like this type of racing to continue beyond this year.
With more racers (competitor numbers) and good quality social network discussion (including ROTORBURN), we will be much better placed to get sponsors on board early for a 2013 series. More sponsors, means better prizes and better race day & event presentation. Rest assured this year has been very difficult to get companies to support us as no-one has heaps of cash stashed away. We've been very lucky with those who have chosen to support us and we are indeed grateful, but if we have a well attended race program, sourcing more goodies from these companies for next year will be achievable much more easily. And this will result in better prizes and events for you.

Lastly, support those that support you and your sport.

This event is possible ONLY because of the support of REAL Insurance, www.cyclenation.com.au, Capilano Honey's HONEY SHOTZ, McGee's Cycles, Maxxy's Tyres, Magura Brakes and Forks, DIYMTB (X-Fusion forks, Enduro bearings etc)

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
the mind boggles.

so If I turn up just to the one race at Urimbah on Nov 4th.. I then hypothetically win that, I'm still NSW XC champion right? Points or no points in any of the previous races.

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
the mind boggles.

so If I turn up just to the one race at Urimbah on Nov 4th.. I then hypothetically win that, I'm still NSW XC champion right? Points or no points in any of the previous races.
Yep.. that'll do it.. all you gotta do is win the thing on the 4th Nov to be the Champion... but not the series winner. The Series winner is he/she who has the most points from all four of the events.

Cheers

Rego is here... https://www.registernow.com.au/mtba/ERegister.aspx?E=1096

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
Well I'm a little disappointed. I entered this race thinking it was round 1 of the NSW XCO state championship while in fact it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Or that particular race makes absolutely no difference to the end result of the state championship.
So why is it even called that on my receipt? Or even insinuated that it has anything to do with it.
Frankly I personally really don't care about a series. I care about having 4 races for the state championship. What a great idea I thought that was.
However I shall go back to school & learn to read again.
But also I will attend the race at the Super Bowl as SCUM held a great NSW championship last year.

Stan's bus rant's since 2011. Now on 4S

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
I should probably say this distinctly with my XC Rider Rep hat on for a change:

Expert men is 19-29. Contrary to popular belief it is not an 'open age' category. The confusion comes because at series races where you're permitted to race up or down, the range basically means anyone can enter in to it because it's right in the middle. At championship events however, age restrictions are enforced, and you have to race either your age, Elite, or Sport. Expert is very much an age category, and is the championship category for riders aged 19-29 years old.
However, in a series race, yes, it effectively becomes open age. So it depends which even you're referring to.

Either Sport or Expert.

Sport, Expert and Elite are open age categories. Everything else has the obvious age restrictions ;) Expert provides that gap for people that want to go hard but arn't quite Elite standard.

Cheers
Spoonie
See above.

Now, while obviously I can't say what the organisers plan to do, what I've said above is how the rulebook works. It's all there in black and white if you want to check it - I would kinda hope state championship events are being run in line with it, however I did also notice some discrepancies in the target race durations.

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
I should probably say this distinctly with my XC Rider Rep hat on for a change:.

Tim, thats not the way it's been run for the last few years. I'm 43 years old and raced EXPERT at Nationals (all rounds in 2010 - then 41years old). The drop down selection at National events indicates - my options are as they were last year 2011 (I didn't race 2011) ELITE, EXPERT, MASTERS or SPORT. Previous to 2010 Expert was missing for a few years (from the national series) and I cannot comment for any earlier than that.

As for this particular series, we are starting from scratch AGAIN, we are not in a position to get caught up in the red tape too much - yep, the lap times / times on course etc could all be better, but we are simply working with the willing clubs and what they are keen / able to provide whilst listening to what the riders want to ride.. all with an eye on development for the future.. Once we gain some traction and have an argument to take to the clubs then perhaps we can lower lap distances etc.

NSW XC is very, very different to Vic.

This is a crawl before we walk type arrangement as we try to pry NSW XC back out of the rubbish bin. As the national XC rep.. i look forward to your support.

All positive feedback is welcome.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
In the national series you can do that. At champs, you can't - as above - and that's the very reason I didn't compete Expert this year at champs, but did in the series, because I've just ticked over a year to become ineligible at champs. Remember - as I tried to be very clear - series works different to champs - so in the series you should have had an additional option, Vets.
Expert and Sport were only missing for one year, 2009/2010, which was the year they ran the 4hr series; both categories again ran in 2010/2011 and 2011/2012. They were also both available in 2007/2008, and 2008/2009. 08/09 and 10/11 I did all rounds, and 07/08, 09/10 and 11/12 I attended or competed in at least one round with riders competing in both Sport and Expert. So it's well in my head what was available when :)

That's not to say that it hasn't been overlooked in the past - but it's been pointed out, so now that it's been brought to everyones attention there's no excuse that anyone didn't know. We should be doing the right thing by riders when we run events and sticking as best possible to the rulebook unless there's good reason and it's well and truly clear that there's a subregulation in writing to override it - and yes, states should be well and truly permitted to do that. However, isn't it in the best interest of all that we try to apply the same rules at this level of competition?

I do think there are some things more than others that you should/can be more lenient to - such as race distances - and I was merely pointing that out that I noticed they varied, not any objection to that. I don't so much agree with varying the age restrictions however, as that is the state championship for a person within that age bracket that you're effectively denying someone of if a Vets or Masters age rider went and won it. It would be better to see someone aged 19-29 have their own category, like everyone else gets, that it's just them in. Otherwise, they're the only ones that get left out. I hope that makes sense.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Round 2 - 5th August - Fitzroy Falls

Entries are now open for Round 2 of NSW State XC Series at 'Twin Falls', Fitzroy Falls - hosted by Southern Highlands Cycle Club - Sunday 5th August.

nswmtb_logo_2012_FFalls.jpg

hayd

Likes Dirt
Any reason why there is no expert men’s category? I'd like to think I'm faster than sport, but definitely not elite.