2012 Giant Reign vs 2011 Mongoose Teocali Elite

Irck

Likes Bikes
Has anyone ridden both?

I can get the Teocali for $250 cheaper and it seems to have better spec drivetrain, brakes and wheels. Reign has better shocks but I've read some bad reviews about the hubs and can't find anything on the rims.

The Teocali felt pretty fun but I'm a bit suss on the rear suspension performance/durability (googled reviews give mixed feedback).

I've done the carpark test but that obviously doesn't tell too much...

big_REI0X2SIM2.jpg

FRAME
Sizes S:15, M:17, L:19
Colors Black
Frame ALUXX SL FluidFormed™ alloy Maestro 6.0” travel
Fork Fox 32 FLOAT RL w/ 15QR axle and Tapered Steerer, 5.9”/150mm Travel
Shock Fox Float RP2 w/XV sleeve & boost valve
COMPONENTS
Handlebar Giant Connect oversize alloy 670mm x 25mm rise
Stem Giant Connect oversize alloy, 4 bolt, 8 degree
Seatpost Giant Connect oversize alloy micro-adjust 30.9
Saddle Fi’zi:k Gobi XM w/Manganese rail
Pedals N/A
DRIVETRAIN
Shifters SRAM X-5 trigger shift 27 sp.
Front Derailleur Shimano SLX 9 sp direct mount
Rear Derailleur SRAM X-7 9 sp
Brakes Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic, w/7” front & 6” rear 6 bolt rotors
Brake Levers Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic
Cassette Shimano HG30 9 sp 11-34T
Chain Shimano HG53 9 sp
Crankset Shimano M542 22x32x44T
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB71, press fit
WHEELS
Rims DT 465D double wall, eyeleted, alloy 32H disc
Hubs Fr: Giant Tracker sealed cartridge 15QR | Rr: Shimano M475 9sp disc
Spokes 14/15G butted stainless
Tires [F] Maxxis Minion DHF 26x2.35 [R] Maxxis High Roller 26x2.35
OTHER
Extras Shock pump

m_2011_TEOEL_blu.jpg
Sizes: Extra Large Frame
Frame: New Mongoose FreeDrive W/ 150 mm travel, tapered head tube, ISCG-05 mounts, and replaceable hanger
Fork: Rock Shox Sektor RL 150 mm travel, Solo Air spring, lockout, rebound and 15 mm Maxle Lite thru axle
Rear Shock: Ario 3.2 , air spring, rebound and lock out, 200x57 mm w/ 19x8 mm hardware
Crank: FSA Comet 27/39T alloy
Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo external bearing
Shifters: SRAM X.7 2x10 speed
Speeds: 27 Speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9 medium cage
Wheels Size: XL
Tires: Kenda Excavator 26x2.35 front / 2.1 rear Dual Tread Compound, folding bead
Brake: Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic disc w/ 185 mm front /160mm rear rotors
Handlebar: Kore Torsion Race Riser Handlebar 710 x 31.8 x 20 rise x 5 deg BB Black
Stem: Kore B-52 0 deg. K34 Stem 65x31.8x28.6 BB Black
Headset: FSA ZS Taper w/ACB bearigns (1.125" upper 1.5" lower).
Brake Levers: Avid Elixir 3
Spokes: 14g Stainless
Grips: Mongoose Lock on
Saddle: Kore T-Beam, 6061 forged alloy rail
Seat Post: Kore T-Beam / I-Beam 6061 Seatpost 31.6 x 350 Satin Silver head, zero offset, BB Black shaft
Seat Clamp: Alloy w/ QR

my02

Likes Dirt
I have owned three Teocalis.......but only bought one! The first two suffered frame failure however the last (2009 model) was fine.

The pedalling action was very good and efficient however it certainly added to the weight. The back end weight is noticeable. Comparing it to the 2011 Trek Remedy I have now, there is a substantial difference in weight and even more so in handling. Any chance you can get your hands on a 2011 Remedy?

I haven't ridden the Giant but given the most recent review in Dirt (Jan 2012), it seems like a very good machine.

One important consideration that I read (and made sense after I got the Remedy) is that the action of the suspension linkage on the Teocali could potentially ramp up too much so as to never reach full travel (unless running low shock pressures). The description was more around bigger hits however.

MRO

Likes Dirt
The shocks on the reign are far better. Push your budget a bit further and get a Reign 1 - adjustable seat post, better front and rear shocks and drivetrain. Apparantly you can squeeze the shop and pick them up for $2k flat.

How much is the Mongoose?

Last edited:

Irck

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the feedback.

my02 - Cheers, that's the sort of thing I wanted to find out. The Teocali seemed ok but there just seemed to be so many linkages...plus I was a little freaked out by the way the bottom bracket actually moved with the rear triangle.

The Remedy is a cool bike but probably a bit much for what I need. I actually checked one out yesterday...beast of a bike.

I'm considering the Reign because it feels pretty close in weight to a Trance but still climbs alright and it's a fair bit cheaper. The Mongoose seemed a bit heavier too but cheaper again.

I might pick up a copy of that mag tomo and see what's what.

MRO - I would probably push my spending if I could get a 1 for 2k but my local doesn't want to budget from the $2150 20% off sale price.

Keven - Fox on the 2, Rockshox on the 1.

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Consider a 2nd hand reign? Get the same spec bike but for alot less. What size are you after as I have a mate wanting to part with his medium with (I could be wrong) full x9 spec for around $1500.

mason33

Likes Dirt
Just a suggestion if you're open to other bikes, how about a 2011 Avanti torrent 2??? If you shop around you can get them for around the 2k mark. I think it would suit your needs, sought of between the trance and the reign, pedals well up hill and can handle the rough stuff going down.

Specs:
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles/avanti/mountain-dual-suspension/torrent-2/morley/wa/100385770

Review:
http://andyandkatiearoundtheworld.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/avanti-torrent-2-trail-bike-review.html

Irck

Likes Bikes
my02 - everything you've said makes sense. I think I'll spring the extra for the Reign but I don't know if I'll stretch it all the way for a 1.The 1 definitely looks like its worth the extra $400 - $500 but I can't really justify the extra spend at the moment.

Capt.Gumby - thanks for the offer but I'm going to buy new. I figure that the lifetime frame warranty means I can justify upgrading things as they break/wear out in the future.

mason33 - the Torrent looks pretty much spot on for what I'd want (I think 150mm EDIT: OF THE REIGN might be a bit of overkill for what I need but the price is right) but the cheapest I can find a Torrent 2 in QLD is $2400 which is def out of my price range. Ideally it would be nice to pick up a 2011 something of that spec (brand isn't important) for 2K max like the Torrent you linked but I haven't been able to find anything.

Last edited:

Irck

Likes Bikes
A bit of a side note - I'm 5' 9" (maybe 5' 8.5") shorter legs, long torso and the Reign medium (17) seems ok but haven't been able to find anywhere to try a small (15). Does anyone know if I would definitely be a medium or should I try and locate a small to test?

Bermshot

Banned
A bit of a side note - I'm 5' 9" (maybe 5' 8.5") shorter legs, long torso and the Reign medium (17) seems ok but haven't been able to find anywhere to try a small (15). Does anyone know if I would definitely be a medium or should I try and locate a small to test?
Always try and get a test before purchase but at your height I would def say Med, I'm 5' 7" and I just fit small (different brand though) with roughly the same body type.

Good luck on your new ride man.

haltz

Likes Dirt
I'm 5'8 and fit real nicely on my medium 2012 reign 1, if I can offer any advice have a bit of a hunt I was about a trip away from the bike shop to buyin a brand new one but had one last look and got mine one month old for 1800. So glad I got a reign it climbs as good as the felt virtue I had before it which was a massive surprise, it comes down everything ive thrown at it nice and comfortably I've also even hit some 20+ foot jumps on it and havnt had to touch a thing on it yet, you'll be impressed

Terror

Squid
Try both the medium & the small as i am 5ft8 & can ride both the sizes but purchased a small as i can really throw the bike around now a lot more agile...best move i ever made.:encouragement:

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
FWIW the teocali has no more linkages than the Reign (count them) they're just closer together. It is heavier and the rear shock isn't as good, however I owned two (both bought, second one now with a mate) and they're a great bike, although maybe overkill if you're looking at a trance. Also FWIW, Reign and Remedy have the same travel, remedy frame is probably lighter, and geo is more adjustable and I believe better. Any of these bikes will, however, do you well. Consider a trek Fuel EX...

Irck

Likes Bikes
No one on the Gold Coast seems to stock the small so I can't ride it back to back with a medium unless I pay for one up front to have them order it in (fair enough, I guess).

FWIW the teocali has no more linkages than the Reign (count them) they're just closer together. It is heavier and the rear shock isn't as good, however I owned two (both bought, second one now with a mate) and they're a great bike, although maybe overkill if you're looking at a trance. Also FWIW, Reign and Remedy have the same travel, remedy frame is probably lighter, and geo is more adjustable and I believe better. Any of these bikes will, however, do you well. Consider a trek Fuel EX...
You're right, it's just the way they're so tightly bunched together and how the bottom bracket is actually suspended from the pivot that is a bit freaky. The bike was fun so I could get used to the oddness if durability of the suspension design isn't a problem. My single biggest concern is all the reports about the pivots bearings failing and the recommendations to tighten the pivots before each ride.

A Fuel Ex would be great but there isn't anything that isn't running a Rockshox Recon in my price bracket. I've been told by a number of people to steer clear of the Recon so that has cut down the range of bikes I'm looking at, unfortunately.