2011 Victorian Enduro Series

akashra

Eats Squid
Since inevitably a thread on this will pop up, I felt it right to put one in place to kick things off. In line with general forum ettiquite, let's keep it to a single thread, unless things get out of control on a specific topic.

First up, an amended calendard, as of 14/01/2011:

1 Geelong Mountain Bike Club Crazy 6 You Yangs – Kurrajong Saturday, 12 February 2011
2 Team Mt Beauty Big Hill Mountain Bike Park Saturday, 5 March 2011
3 Alpine Cycling Club Bright 6 Hour Bright Saturday, 9 April 2011
4 TBA TBA Sunday, 22 May 2011
5 Albury/Wodonga Albury/Wodonga 6hr Nail Can Hill Saturday, 25 June 2011
6 Gippsland MTB Club Gippsland 6 Hour Blores Hill Sunday, 31 July 2011
7 TBA TBA TBA Sunday, 28 August 2011
8 Dirt Riders Rock Hop Dallas Brooks Sunday, 25 September 2011
9 TBA TBA TBA Sunday, 30 October 2011

Main thing to point out from this most recent update is the move of the first round to Saturday from Sunday. This has been done to avoid a clash with another cycling festival on the East side of Melbourne, so you can now hopefully do both. We'd like to see those from the River/Alpine region travel down here for the first round as well, so it gives that same opportunity for people to not need to rush back after the race.

Rounds 7 and 9 are still being discussed. Bendigo have pulled out of the series after initial planning/announcement made - an alternative venue is currently being discussed.
It is highly likely that the October 30 event will be at Lake Mountain, with Officer as a backup if we experience rainfall as in 2010. This will be confirmed at a later date.

Points system for 2011
As previously said, the points for the Solo Mens categories will change in 2011.

It will now be as follows:

1 160
2 145
3 130
4 120
5 110
6 103
7 96
8 91
9 86
10 81
11 76
12 72
13 68
14 64
15 60
16 57
17 54
18 51
19 49
20 48
21 47
22 46
23 45
24 44
25 43
26 42
27 41
28 40
29 39
30 38
31 37
32 36
33 35
34 34
35 33
36 32
37 31
38 30
39 29
40 28
41 27
42 26
43 25
44 24
45 23
46 22
47 21
48 20
49 19
50 18
51 17
52 16
53 15
54 14
55 13
56 12
57 11
58 10
59 9
60 8
61 7
62 6
63 5
64 4
65 3
66 2
67 1

Categories will not be split between points - eg, if the fastest Masters rider comes 6th overall, he will recieve 103 points, not 160 with the category treated as a separate race. This is in line with the way the U23 system works in XCO.
Your points for the series will be your best seven races out of 9 rounds, however we are still discussing the possibility that you may not drop the final round.

Teams rules
A very thorough and thick rule book will be published for 2011, and the number are still subject to tweaking, but basically:
- No laps for a team member more than one higher than the median of a team will be counted count;
- There will be a required amount of total time as a percentage that each rider must be on track.

This will be enforced to prevent teams racing against the spirit of the categories, eg, a mixed pair where the male rider does 8 laps to the female riders 1, or a Masters team having a 30yo riders do 6 laps to the other two riders 4 laps.

Feel free to post questions, if they come up enough I'll turn this into an FAQ.

Last edited:

MrsH

Likes Dirt
1 Geelong Mountain Bike Club Crazy 6 You Yangs – Kurrajong Saturday, 12 February 2011

Main thing to point out from this most recent update is the move of the first round from Saturday to Sunday.
Hi there,

Is round 1 on Saturday (as per calander you listed) or Sunday (as per post)?

riderideride

Likes Dirt
A very thorough and thick rule book will be published for 2011, and the number are still subject to tweaking, but basically:
- No laps for a team member more than one higher than the median of a team will be counted count;
- There will be a required amount of total time as a percentage that each rider must be on track.

This will be enforced to prevent teams racing against the spirit of the categories, eg, a mixed pair where the male rider does 8 laps to the female riders 1, or a Masters team having a 30yo riders do 6 laps to the other two riders 4 laps.

Woohooo! finally! lap for lap ya cheaters! :D

akashra

Eats Squid
Hi there,

Is round 1 on Saturday (as per calander you listed) or Sunday (as per post)?
Sorry, it is on Saturday. I have corrected the initial post.

Woohooo! finally! lap for lap ya cheaters! :D
Make sure you know it doesn't mean you have to go ABABAB - you're welcome to go A,A,A,B,B,B, but if B breaks their bike on lap 1 in a team of 2 and can't continue, the most laps you're going to have counted is 3.

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
Looks rad. Only issue I see is the clash with the Buller Festival for Round 2.

Clashes are always going to happen, but I've committed to the Buller race and I really wanted to do the whole Enduro series.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
Looks rad. Only issue I see is the clash with the Buller Festival for Round 2.

Clashes are always going to happen, but I've committed to the Buller race and I really wanted to do the whole Enduro series.
I am in the same boat. Buller is go! how could you miss Buller...best race of the year :D but second best is Mt Beauty 6hr, so its a real bummer.

akashra

Eats Squid
the 2011 GF is the first weekend of Oct
While we're 98% confident this is going to be the case, the AFL have not yet announced the dates/venues of round 24 or the finals. However it's so very unlikely to move to a date earlier than the first week of October if they retain the McIntyre system.

Median from a mathematicians viewpoint

Make sure you know it doesn't mean you have to go ABABAB - you're welcome to go A,A,A,B,B,B, but if B breaks their bike on lap 1 in a team of 2 and can't continue, the most laps you're going to have counted is 3.
Its perfect.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
The better way to clarify this would have been quick email or in private, never mind that most of what's above isn't even relevant since there's no teams even approaching near 6 riders. The correct wording should refer to the median lap count.
The simple fact is some teams aren't treating teams in the spirit of the sport.

If you want to just stir trouble for the sake of stirring trouble, try to at least have a point that stands up to basic scutiny.

monc

Likes Dirt
It's great that there's some attempt at making sure that teams are acting in the spirit of competition, but it does need to be done in a way that doesn't discourage newcomers/families etc. I guess this is why akashra has gone with the 'time on course' rather than 'laps done'.

It is thoroughly annoying to just miss out on a podium in a mixed team when your team has done things evenly, and the winning team's slow lady only does one lap out of the total 20.

There was a good system operating at the Scott a few years ago that only applied to podium placers, so it didn't discourage slower people.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
personally as someone who rides in a mixed pairs team and rides lap for lap I find it quite annoying to get beaten by another team where the male does 10 laps and the female does 2 (for example) so I think this is great! go solo if you want to do all the laps!

serowe

Likes Dirt
Tim can correct this if it is wrong, but this rule won't stop people from competing, just collecting points. So the argument about discouraging newcomers/families is really a moot point - many of these 'newcomers/familes/ will also be there for the sake of riding, not blitzing the podium.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
I'm going to stick to solo riding far easier to work out how many laps need to be done!

:p

quiggs

serowe

Likes Dirt
Nah - you're just whimping out Jase - you need a super reliable partner - what's akashra doing, he might be available :)

akashra

Eats Squid
I made a mistake while attempting to word it in a way a non-BM/BEng/BSci would be able to understand - okay?

The wording needs work, but we essentially want the lap count of all riders to be within one lap, and the time in the saddle to be a fair, quantitative unambiguous figure.

It's particularly important in the mixed pairs, where we want to encourage female participants. We don't want to be encouraging a category where a sporstmanlike team puts in a genuine effort to race to their best, only to be beaten by a team where the Elite Male rider puts in 8 laps to his girlfriends 3.
Those people are more than welcome to ride if that's really the way they want to do it - but they'll be riding for fun, not glory.

To a degree it's a concern in the mixed triples (when offered) too. In reality, a lone female rider should do more laps than either of the male riders; or, if it's a team of two females and one male, then the male rider should be the one who does more.
Ideally, you want each rider having 2 hours in a six hour event; 3 hours in a pair.

I'm going to stick to solo riding far easier to work out how many laps need to be done!

:p

quiggs
I approve of this :p

On a related note, I always find myself doing this on the first few laps - say I'm setting 27 minute laps, after lap 2 the goal in your head becomes "okay, I want to get that 13th lap in".

Last edited: